Thailand 'one Of The Most Dangerous Tourist Destinations On Earth

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Big difference between subjective and objective danger. To the uninitiated a British pub street can feel incredibly dangerous in the wee hours, and Thailand incredibly safe. But if you want to get into a fight with a local in either place your better best is to do so in the UK.

I've seen my fair share of horrendous violence in Thailand, as has probably everyone who lived there for a while.

I think the same goes for the Philippines as for Thailand. It is as if there is a switch; once the switch is tripped, there is no limit to the violence, whereas in the UK a severe beating is the worst likely outcome.

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Big difference between subjective and objective danger. To the uninitiated a British pub street can feel incredibly dangerous in the wee hours, and Thailand incredibly safe. But if you want to get into a fight with a local in either place your better best is to do so in the UK.

I've seen my fair share of horrendous violence in Thailand, as has probably everyone who lived there for a while.

Yes, several rude bar visitors have been beaten up by Thai boxing skilled females/shemales   :mocking:

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I think the same goes for the Philippines as for Thailand. It is as if there is a switch; once the switch is tripped, there is no limit to the violence, whereas in the UK a severe beating is the worst likely outcome.

I agree to a certain point, however knife crime is becoming far more prevalent now in the UK....a sign of the times?

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I agree to a certain point, however knife crime is becoming far more prevalent now in the UK....a sign of the times?

Knife crime in the UK is contentious - the figures are not very clear.

Here are some!

http://www.slideshare.net/asmediag12/knife-crime-and-related-research

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Here are some!

http://www.slideshare.net/asmediag12/knife-crime-and-related-research

Where I have lived in the UK, Cambridge, for a very long time, I have found knife crime very much to be on the rise, especially with the "teen" generation. It is a fast growing s&@t hole after all. However, crimes like burglary now appear to be far more violent, usually involving hammers, particularly against pensioners, so I suppose they constitute more of a "beating" type attack. When all is said and done though anywhere can be the wrong place to be at the wrong time.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The UK has strict gun control. The weapon of choice are knives. It's the same in Japan. A friend who is an ER nurses said their emergency rooms handle stabbing incidents constantly. In the Philippines, the wealthy have guns while the poor might carry a balisong or switchblade. At least that was the situation while I was going up. Maybe things have changed.