Why Philippines?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

As a new member to the forum I am not sure if this subject has been covered in depth.

Many of you already made the decision to make Philippines you home.

For people like myself who are contemplating retirement, it would be most helpful if you would kindly share your reasons. There will I'm sure be pluses and minuses, but think it would be most helpful on subjects like medical facilities, visa permits, culture differences, property pitfalls etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....JB

Edited by Kuya John

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

1. I have some experience of the place, and am not starting from cold, so to speak.
2.. The women

3-102. Ditto

103. English is more or less spoken and sometimes it is even understood.

104. You don't need central heating.

105. I quite like mangoes

106. Cost of living may be less.

107. I have Filipino friends, whose company I genuinely enjoy. Of course, I have friends in North America, in Sri Lanka, in Germany, in Norway, in Hong Kong, in Japan, in China, but they are all places that are expensive and/or speak another language. 

108. My adult son has dual citizenship, so in my case the "foreigner" restrictions on ownership of land are not an issue.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Kuya, the answers to this question will be many and varied.

For me it was:

This is where my wife was born so after 20 years following me, my turn to follow her

Upon our retirement, where to live that our standard of living would not drop and we would not have to continue working until social security kicked in.

Where I can get 95% of the things I am used to

English is widely spoken

Something different

• Like 5

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

Kuya, the answers to this question will be many and varied.

For me it was:

This is where my wife was born so after 20 years following me, my turn to follow her

Upon our retirement, where to live that our standard of living would not drop and we would not have to continue working until social security kicked in.

Where I can get 95% of the things I am used to

English is widely spoken

Something different

i m getting married to a beautiful filippina, and she ll be coming here for now. but from my trips there i could easily move there for the same reasons, i love the filippino peopie and the adventure of it all,and the simplicity. 

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I haven't been here quite a month yet but the only real problems I've had are trying to find a bus schedule to get from CDO to Davao or finding peanut butter without 5 tons of sugar added! Heck, I have more issues in Bermuda and I've been there over 40 times... This is much better here!

• Like 4

gusincebu
Posted
Posted

Im not sure there are actually bus schedules Bob, you just go to the bus terminal and get on the next bus leaving. Mostly they will leave when the driver has finished his breakfast !

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Hot Filipinas and cold SM beer. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
finding peanut butter without 5 tons of sugar added!

When you are traveling through Duma I can help you with that.  My friend here is a health food nut and he taught a local filipino peanut butter maker how to make the stuff with no sugar.  The vendor now has quite a few expat customers.  Me?  I like Skippy :-) 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

These are in no particular order.

1.  I like short, dark haired women

2.  Cost of living

3.  I like the people in general

4.  All my hobbies are more than catered for and in one case it's the perfect place to be

5.  Less of a language barrier. I speak reasonably good Bahasa Indonesia - so it has been a toss up for me between the two countries now I'm single.

6.  Not having to turn on a heater, ever

7.  I have friends there, both Pinoy and Expat that I enjoy spending time with

8.  Slower pace of life - yep, very double edged sword but generally a plus to my mind

9.  The food

10. The beaches

• Like 4

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I haven't been here quite a month yet but the only real problems I've had are trying to find a bus schedule to get from CDO to Davao or finding peanut butter without 5 tons of sugar added! Heck, I have more issues in Bermuda and I've been there over 40 times... This is much better here!

Thats funny Bob, I,ve got 5 jars of kraft peanut butter and 5 tins of Tim Hortons on my kitchen counter all ready to be packed in BB boxes to be shipped to CDO. Are you staying in CDO right now ?