Moving From Thailand To The Philippines.....?

expatriot
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I live in Thailand for 10 years now.
In the Isaan, which is north east.
Rural areas, farmers land.
I am about to brake up my relationship and I am thinking of moving to the Philippines.
I have never been there before so I don't know much about it.
But for what I know, and what attracks me most compared to Thailand is:
People speak english so I can finally talk with people and read every sign in the streets and shops. here not, which is very frustrating.

So that also means that if I can get a work/business permit I can finally work because I can communicate with people.

Here in Thailand I depend 100% on my wife who works and that feels very uncomfortable especially because she is sometimes just not fit to work.

I makes me to have to depend on her to much....something that is not in my nature...

The visa requirements and rules are so difficult in Thailand. I understood in the Philippines this is much easier.
People in the philipines have a more western way of thinking and doing than the Thai.(right?)
Climate is really comfortable with an average of 26 degrees?
In Thailand it is often hot as hell.(up to 42 degrees).
Is the above right?
are there more positive (or negative) things compared to living in Thailand?

Trafic in Thailand is crazy dangerous.
Thailand ranks #2 in the world when it comes to deadly accidents. How is this in The Philippines?

Is the food really that bad like I read everywhere?

Is it really so dangerous and does a gun go with the daily outfit of many?? (what I read....)

b.t.w.

I do speak a lot of thai and isaan (lao) but that is not enough to get into an interesting conversation with someone and therefor not enough to get some local friends.
Also not enough to be active in business like my wife does.
That is why I thought about an English speaking country in Asia...to be less isolated and contribute more to everything including making money.

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I strongly recommend a visit before you finally decide.

The food will be a huge disappointment to you.

The traffic is about the same. The danger is really quite hard to assess but you will have seen the thread here comparing the two.

The culture is in some respects similar to Thailand. You have the advantage of having lived in Isaan which means that you will not find the Philippines countryside strange.

The visa system is reasonably efficient but still has many frustrating aspects, notably the need for exit clearance if you travel abroad.

Getting involved in business locally is a subject on which many here have views which incline towards caution - see the thread "How to get Murdered in the Philippines!"

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

The temperatures you quoted sound like high elevation temperatures, not found everywhere. I would try Baguio if looking for moderate temperature climate in a built up area.

Caution in business.

Traffic? I was rear ended twice and backed into once in 4 days, one day of which I stayed home. Dangerous?

The food can be bad, Jollybee might be an example. I eat at home a lot. Surprisingly good but simple food can be found in out of the way places, you just have to find them.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by robert k

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

My story is the same as you, ilived in Issan, Na Jan, during dry season then Europe for rainy season but i can't stand being there any longer and looking to re locate, i have been to Manila before, not like Bangkok, stayed in Surigao del Sul, thats where i'm heading off to,, been there before, love the countryside, a bit like Laos have to get used to it so lets wish us both the best of luck.

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the Forum.

It is difficult to get a work visa here. Your employer has to sponsor you. You cannot own a business outright and have to have a 60/40 split in ownership (you 40%). It is not uncommon for foreigners to get run out of the business they set up by their Philippine partners once it is running successfully.

I would look at the Philippines as retirement only (if after visiting here you find that it suits your needs).

RBM
Posted
Posted

Is the food really that bad like I read everywhere?

Is it really so dangerous and does a gun go with the daily outfit of many?? (what I read....)

Yes the food really is that bad.  How ever if one lives in a city there are many good quality restaurants. From my experience, more expensive than Thailand as are pension houses, hotels, quality way below Thailand.

As a poster pointed out, most  good ingredients are here, one can cook at home or find a GF (no problem here) that loves cooking. Most Filipinas love to cook and eat and are interested to learn western dishes.

I have lived here a number of years and closest ever been to a gun is when entering a bank or Mall. No its not that dangerous here, just a little common sense applies like anywhere.

Going into business here would probably compare, risk wise to Thailand. Working permits are difficult and if granted can produce problems. Jealously is at least as bad as Thailand. 

I have a close friend whom lived some years in Thailand before moving here. He prefers life here although has some reservations. One of his common comments is The Thais seem to be far more mercenary than Filipinos. 

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Thais, in general, are a lot more used to dealing with all kinds of foreign tourists. In the Philippines the tourist demographic is overwhelmingly single, old and male.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thais, in general, are a lot more used to dealing with all kinds of foreign tourists. In the Philippines the tourist demographic is overwhelmingly single, old and male.

As witness the fact that, in the days before the mid-1990s, the red light district of Manila around UN Avenue was called the "tourist district"!

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Where is your country of origin?

Working here is almost impossible and starting your own business can be VERY frustrating or even deadly if you start to take business away from a local.  It is NOT cheap to live here unless you can live and eat like a local.

There are many areas with expats and English is spoken  by many locals so you will enjoy that.  You can stay on a tourist visa for up to 3 years I think by just renewing it.  Costs around $600 a year I think.  Medical issues are best dealt by leaving the country.  Others will disagree with that statement but my experience with doctors and hospitals here has proven me right more than wrong. 

Some of us love it here and last forever, others last 5 years and get the hell out.  Come for a visit and see for yourself.

P.S.  Leave your common sense behind.  It will do you no good here and P.A.L. will probably charge you for the extra weight.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The visa requirements and rules are so difficult in Thailand. I understood in the Philippines this is much easier.
  In Thailand "VISA runs" can be easier, but in the long run it's inconvinient, which make Philippines better.
It is difficult to get a work visa here. Your employer has to sponsor you. You cannot own a business outright and have to have a 60/40 split in ownership (you 40%). It is not uncommon for foreigners to get run out of the business they set up by their Philippine partners once it is running successfully.
Yes, except foreigners can owe WHOLE "export business"  (=at least 60 % is exported).   All Internet handled businesses and Call Centers are counted as export business too.