Worst Airlines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

I came across a website posting information about the 15 worst airlines in the world. Some of the commentaries are funny. Examples include:

RYAN AIR - "The carrier also has plans to reduce its toilets from three to one so they can squeeze in six more seats."

AIR KORYO - "If you do find yourself on Air Koryo, you’ll be treated to such passenger experiences as military marching band tunes to set a rousing tone for the flight, and the state-approved Pyongyang Times for your propaganda reading material. The miserable flight attendants will scowl and grunt at you while serving unpalatable food."

1. Turkmenistan Airlines

2. Uzbekistan Airways

3. Tajik Air

4. Air Koryo

5. Bulgaria Air

6. Nepal Airlines

7. Egypt Air

8. China Airlines

9. Spirit Airlines

10. Iberia

11. Air China

12. Ryan Air

13. Easy Jet

14. United Airlines

15. American Airlines

Incredible! Philippine Airlines is not on the list. Maybe next year.

http://www.destinationtips.com/advice/15-of-the-worst-airlines-in-the-world/

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
Incredible! Philippine Airlines is not on the list. Maybe next year.

I've flown PAL several times recently and overall the experience was not bad. For example on my last trip to Cebu from Beijing take-off was several hours late because of air-traffic control delays (not the airline's fault IMHO). The crew did as much as they could to mitigate the situation by keeping passengers informed of what was going on and providing cabin service while we were on the ground. Needless to say we missed our onward connection to Cebu. On arrival at Manila we went straight to the transit desk and were handed boarding cards for the next flight (the last of the day). They also informed my mate that his checked baggage had been transferred to the same flight (it had). In other words the service was what one would expect from a full-service airline.

On the other hand, in my experience, Cebu Pacific takes no responsibility whatever in such situations. To make matters worse CP often isn't any cheaper from BJ to Manila than PAL.

The list makes for amusing reading but I can't take any list seriously that doesn't include Aeroflot.

Their entry for Air China suggests that the list is based on flimsy research and anecdotal evidence from other sites:

"China’s state-run airline is only 30 years old [*], but it has already seen its share of negative customer feedback. You should almost expect that their domestic flights won’t arrive on-time. Some [link deleted] reviewers have reported that passengers are often roaming the cabin during take-off, and flight attendants rarely enforce basic safety rules like wearing seat belts. The no-smoking rule doesn’t seem to be enforced, either. Most flights route through Beijing, and you’re not allowed to leave the airport without a visa, even if your layover or delay is 24 hours long. That could be a problem for some travelers."

Now I've flown Air China many times over the last couple of decades and, in my experience, their cabin staff are very strict at enforcing safety rules. I have not seen people standing during take-off. People do stand and open lockers while the plane is taxiing after landing but this is a common problem across Asia. Generally the cabin staff will shoo people back to their seats. The final point is at least a year out of date since most travelers can get a 72 visa free transit, either through the airline or on arrival in Beijing.

It is true that both domestic and international flights are often delayed but this seems to be caused by ATC and ground handling at the airports and affects all airlines.

*Air China and the other major Chinese carriers were spun off from CAAC -- which had a woeful safety record, mainly because it used poorly maintained and outdated Russian aircraft. Their safety record now is much higher. I think this is because Chinese carriers operate relatively new aircraft and often contract maintenance back to the manufacturer.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Agree with Old China Hand.

Air China are fine.

I will however reserve a special mention for China Southern; flying into NAIA with them in the 1990's I was seated by a window to port and was looking out to see my old house as we approached from the bay, as I always saw it.

Not this time. Then the throttles were firewalled and we did a go around. I strongly suspect we had lined up on Roxas Boulevard!

Edited by Methersgate

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Agree with Old China Hand.

Air China are fine.

I will however reserve a special mention for China Southern; flying into NAIA with them in the 1990's I was seated by a window to port and was looking out to see my old house as we approached from the bay, as I always saw it.

Not this time. Then the throttles were firewalled and we did a go around. I strongly suspect we had lined up on Roxas Boulevard!

Oh my Gosh

My wife is flying with China Southern 2nd  December.....But is'nt there a shared connection with KLM ?

robert k
Posted
Posted

Frankly, my last flight was with KAL and I much preferred China Air, service, food cleanliness of the plane. KAL was superior at one thing and that was trying to cram every elderly person within 3 gates of mine into a wheelchair. I saw one elderly man narrowly escape being separated from his loved ones and crammed into one of the chairs only by warding the attendants off with a swing of his backpack to show he was still able.

KAL was constantly offering wine with every meal, I'd want you to be unconscious and or not remember anything also when it came to the meals. I did try the wine once, figuring I might be missing out on something. Rotgut! I had to swallow it because I couldn't make it to the cr to spit it out. The best meal I had on KAL involved Tofu and I detest Tofu but compared to what else was being served, Tofu was a taste of home, like awful vegeburger.

Security was lax at Incheon. When someone has a  carryon backpack with a computer a couple of phones and a couple of external power supplies with about 20 meters of short wires, I expect someone to look a little harder.....or at all. I realize I look honest but they didn't even want me to take my shoes off. The airport was dirty but seemed to offer a lot of places for you to spend money, neither are things I value highly in an airport I am transiting. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted

My wife is flying with China Southern 2nd  December.....But is'nt there a shared connection with KLM ?

Nope. Wrong China! China Airlines, of Taiwan, are part of the KLM/Air France SkyTeam.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

JJReyes, on 25 Nov 2014 - 7:52 PM, said: Incredible! Philippine Airlines is not on the list. Maybe next year.

I've flown PAL several times recently and overall the experience was not bad.

I have a love-hate relationship with Philippine Airlines. The last incident was being downgraded at the airport from discount business class to economy to make way for non-revenue politicians! A group of governors were returning from some conference. The rebate offered was the discount business class price less the price for full fare economy. No way! I threatened a lawsuit and bad publicity. There was an eventual settlement and letter of apology. Haven't flown PAL for the past six years.

By the way, PAL was the original acronym which was universally understood by the public to mean, "Plane Always Late."

Edited by JJReyes

jpbago
Posted
Posted

Any that you don't have to push would be a good one:

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
By the way, PAL was the original acronym which was universally understood by the public to mean, "Plane Always Late."
The acronym for the now defunct Belgium airline SABENA was said to stand for "Such a bad experience. Never again."

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

I fly Air China way too often and while not a terrible airline they're worse than any other truly internaitonal full service airline I know.

Food is often close to inedible, I've started ordering Hindu meals instead, much better.

Edited by afathertobe