85Yo Retired Us Army Vet Dead.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

seems that some 1 killed a 85yo army veteran and tried to kill his 84yo wife

why would some1 do this? 85 years old?

i could understand if he was 50,60 or 70 and he "crossed the wrong path" of someone

but 85.

An 85-year-old retired US Army man was stabbed dead and his wife seriously injured in a  robbery break-in at their home on MH Del Pilar Street, Barangay San Joaquin in Mabalacat City in central Luzon at dawn Monday, authorities said.

Supt. Henry Flores, Mabalacat City police chief, identified the fatality as ex-serviceman Benjamin Basilio Cuffee and his wife as Cresenciana. The 84-year-old woman is fighting for her life.

Flores told Senior Supt. Rodolfo Recomono, Jr., Pampanga Provincial Police Office (PPO) director, in a report, that the victims’ neighbors rushed to the Cuffee's home after they heard unusual noise past 1 a.m.

Witnesses then saw two unidentified men rushing out of the victims’ house and speeding away on a blue Honda Wave motorcycle.

When they checked inside, the neighbors found Cresenciana lying on the floor, unconscious. Benjamin was found inside the room bloodied, the police report said. Probers believe an ice pick had caused the multiple puncture wounds in different parts of his body.

Flores said Cuffee’s things were scattered in the room, indicating he had tried to fight the attackers. “The victim might had resisted that prompted the suspects to stab him several times.”

Pieces of jewelry and an undetermined amount of cash were also found inside the victim’s room, said Flores.

The suspects, Flores said, apparently ran out after Cresenciana yelled for help from neighbors.    

Benjamin was declared dead on arrival at the Tiglao Hospital in Mabalacat City. 

The robbery-killing at the Cuffees' home is only the latest in a rash of crimes in the area. Last week, a 29-year old businesswoman was killed in an ambush at Brgy. Cacutud here. Then, a 43-year-old employee of a grocery store at Madapdap Resettlement Center was shot dead in a robbery hold-up.

Reacting to the rash in violence, police director Recomono Jr. sent two teams from the Provincial Public Safety Company and Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) as augmentation force.

“Checkpoint and other anti-criminality measures are in place to ease the tension brought about by series of killings,” said Recomono over the phone.

Mabalacat City Mayor Marino “Boking” Morales earlier directed the police to go all out against criminals, saying, “I have specific instruction to the [chief of police] to prove his worth.”

http://www.interaksyon.com/article/100258/retired-us-army-slain-wife-seriously-hurt-in-break-in

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

One would hope the perpetrators are quickly caught and face justice.   :23_11_62[1]:

Americano
Posted
Posted

If the Philippine government really cares about the safety of foreigners then they should allow us the owns guns the same as Filipinos can.  Criminals know that foreigners cannot own guns and are therefore almost defenseless against robberies, assaults and murders.

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

If the Philippine government really cares about the safety of foreigners then they should allow us the owns guns the same as Filipinos can.  Criminals know that foreigners cannot own guns and are therefore almost defenseless against robberies, assaults and murders.

That's the point. They don't care. They only want our money. If they could find a way to take our money with us out of their country, they would already be doing it.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Probers believe an ice pick had caused the multiple puncture wounds in different parts of his body.

An ice pick?  Really?  How many of us have an ice pick in the house and how many criminals walk around carrying one?  Unusual to say the least.  And if that part of the story is unbelievable, where is the part where we can start believing the rest of the story?

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

When it comes to life and death situations like this, it's good to have a gun available to defend yourself (with the gun in her name). Depending on the situation though it may be difficult as a foreigner to get away with "defending his life and that of his family's" given the nature of how some cases are investigated after the fact.

• Like 2

Americano
Posted
Posted

I don't have any facts but my guess is very few Filipinas have or will attend a course to become qualified to own a gun, therefore since the foreigner cannot own a gun there most likely will not be one in the home and criminals know this.

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Probers believe an ice pick had caused the multiple puncture wounds in different parts of his body.

An ice pick? Really? How many of us have an ice pick in the house and how many criminals walk around carrying one? Unusual to say the least. And if that part of the story is unbelievable, where is the part where we can start believing the rest of the story?

Using an ice pick would seem strange in many parts of the world but they're quite common in the Philippines. Many folks buy their ice in the block form and chop it up with an ice pick. I know it sounds a bit far fetched but it's not uncommon to hear of someone being murdered or attacked by a perp with an ice pick.

What a shame someone would do that to an 85 year old retiree and his wife though. Too bad he couldn't have had a pistol, I'm sure things would have turned out differently. Unfortunately the old vet would probably be incarcerated awaiting trial for murdering the criminals. Things ain't always fair as an expat overseas.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a lot of questions about this story, as common with newspaper reports raises more questions then supplies answers.

An 85-year-old retired US Army man

Did this poor gentleman actually retire from the army? Or was he a veteran that served in the army as implied in the next sentence "ex-serviceman"

Benjamin Basilio Cuffee

With such a name I have to wonder if Mr. Cufffee was a natural born US citizen or a Filipino who served in the US citizen who served, gained his citizenship, retired, worked at the post office and retired to the Philippines with a double pension? (very common really).

The only reason I ask these questions is that if Mr. Cuffee was a Filipino/American the crime might be more because he had money and not that he was a foreigner. Unfortunately the story does not give such exact details, and Army Vet makes for a much better headline.

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

That's the point. They don't care. They only want our money. If they could find a way to take our money with us out of their country, they would already be doing it.

They know how to get our money without us being here, it is called international aid which is always given

• Like 1