Want To Move To Pagadian

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Hi There

I would like to ask for your help and add vice on this matter, I live in Kalibo right now and would like to move to Pagadian as this is where my sweethearts family lives, I have been told it is not safe for expats to live there so here are some question that I hope you can help me with.

1.       Is Pagadian safe for expats to live there and are there expats living there now

2.       The fastest way for me to make the move would be to rent a house there until I can get settled in and find a place to buy or build what would be the best area to move to in Pagadian

3.       Next how do I move everything there my car and all my household goods , where and  how much the cost would be, if any one would have an idea or knows how to do this I would be great full

jon1
Posted
Posted

First, welcome to the forum.

I would not recommend Pagadian. Lots of stuff happens that way and general vicinity and is best avoided. Also, the addage, "keep your in-laws at least 1 preferably 2 islands away" comes to mind.

That being said, if you are dead set on moving, the closest place I would recommend is either Dipolog or Cagayan De Oro. Dipolog is not as congested as CDO but that is a good thing. There are expats in both locations.

To move, you could hire a truck to haul your household goods. It would take the RORO system (Iloilo to Bacolod, Dumaguete to Dipolog) to get to Pagadian. You can drive your car the same route. The last time that I drove from Caticlan to Dumaguete, it took me 16 hours (ferry to Bacolod included).

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Would agree with the above, Dipalog is a nice little place, very pleasant.

Visited Pagadian some years ago, did not in any way enjoy it. Experienced no dangers how ever found the place dirty unfriendly and ugly. Was just a week or so there so perhaps a hasty judgement.

Also would confer, most unwise to live close to GF or wifes family, further away the better.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I travel through Pagadian to Molave; it has a Camella Homes development so easy to buy a reasonable house off the shelf and easy to resell.

I have seen expats in the airport who look like residents but I am not keen on the place, and agree that Dipolog is a lot nicer. Only comment I can offer on CdO is that a Filipino friend who lives there is looking to leave due to its general unpleasantness - fed up with dirt, poor administration, etc.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Never been there, but would like to add/ask. As also mentioned about the Family. If your sweetheart is asking or pressuring you to move closer to her family, it could mean that she is very, very attached to them. Could be a danger sign.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Sometimes the family rule doesn't count... My Special Someone wants to live here in Davao as she has family here. All are reasonably well off except Mom who i have suggested lives with us when the time comes and one brother who is still in school but is doing well! Nobody asks for money! If your wife's family is the same, then that will be one less worry!

:D

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If your wife's family is the same, then that will be one less worry!

Its not always about the money.  Sometimes the gf wants to live close to her 'family' because thats where here filipino bf also lives.  :cheersty:

• Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted

Hi There

I would like to ask for your help and add vice on this matter, I live in Kalibo right now and would like to move to Pagadian as this is where my sweethearts family lives, I have been told it is not safe for expats to live there so here are some question that I hope you can help me with.

1.       Is Pagadian safe for expats to live there and are there expats living there now

2.       The fastest way for me to make the move would be to rent a house there until I can get settled in and find a place to buy or build what would be the best area to move to in Pagadian

3.       Next how do I move everything there my car and all my household goods , where and  how much the cost would be, if any one would have an idea or knows how to do this I would be great full

You live in the Phils so why not visit the place for say a two week holiday/explore. Then if you like it, do it again and again to make sure.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I would not live in Pagadian but would be happy in Dipolog.

Mind you; it is so far from Pagadian that you might as well be on another island!

• 2 weeks later...
starlet
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi There

[...]

Hi there,

I'v been visiting Pagadian City many times, the last time now this Christmas. My wife is from a place near by (Diplahan), as she have family in Pagadian. 

My impression is that there is quite a lot foreigners visiting the city from time to time, but only on short stay basis. I'm not familiar with foreigners living in Pagadian permanently. 

Some years ago, I was also contemplating on building a house in Pagadian and live there for longer periods. But after serious considerations, we abandoned the idea. Its to risky. Kidnap for Ransom Gangs are operating not far from the City, and at some point they migtht be tempted to cacht the "big fish" they see swimming, and sell it to Abu Sayaf Group or similar in Sulu/Basilan.

My advice to is to visit the city. Its a really nice place. Kind people. Interesting place. But keep a low profile, and don't stay long. 

As others, I would recommend Dipolog. Its safer there. 

And another thing: I think Its wise to settle down a little far from your wife's family. Both for money matters (they can't invade your wallet so easily) and you will avoid more or less permanent family visit in your house; its nice in the beginning, but after a while it gets tiresome.

Good luck!

Edited by starlet
  • Like 1