Well I Did It

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We set up new bank accounts in J's name and closed the ones that were joint accounts .... seems strange not to have a bank account in my name but that's life .... can't wait to see what big brother does next to pry into our lives .... even the banks are complaining about the laws imposed upon them by the US IRS .... seems the BIR here made the deal with the IRS because the IRS agreed not to tax them on their holdings in the US .... or so I was told by a bank employee (of reliable source) .... ain't it great that the US Government can stoop to black mail to get what it wants .... but don't you try it or you'll end up in jail .... can you say double standard .... 

Anyway waiting until the next shoe drops .... I'm sure they will figure out what is going on and make a new requirement like no US Citizen can send money to a foreign country .... you laugh .... but we laughed when they said the government was spying on us by taping our phones and such .... and then Home Land Security was formed and they can do whatever they damn well please .... Hummmmmm I wonder what our founding fathers would have thought of HLS .... :no:

Ahhhhhhhhh .... the land of the FREE and the home of the brave ..... :rolleyes:

:cheersty:

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

HI Mike, I opened an debit account recently and was very surprised at all the extra paper work you have to fill in if you are an American citizen, the gave me to full pages to fill in, but since I am just a dumb aussie I only filled in the first page and left all the questions for Americans blank, the manager just accepted it. Must have felt sorry for me.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
Anyway waiting until the next shoe drops .... I'm sure they will figure out what is going on and make a new requirement like no US Citizen can send money to a foreign country

Cuba comes to mind when I read that. I think that it is allowed but within limits and only to family.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I think its a good idea Mike.  So long as she gives you the pin number for the ATM card you are good to go no matter whose name is on the account.  Ummm she did give you the right pin number?   :hystery:

• Like 1

lonewolf
Posted
Posted

sorry I guess I don t know what I m doing. I was trying to say that my first thought on hear of homeland security was what my dad would say about the name it s brought to my mind Germany during the 1930 and 40s

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It's USA, who much delayed EVERYONES money transfers bank acout to bank acount and checks abroad too...

Before:  3 - 7 days normaly.

After:  A month often...

(Not sure about smaller amounts, perhaps only at a bit biger amounts, but at a level normal expats can want to transfer OFTEN.)

intrepid
Posted
Posted

We set up new bank accounts in J's name and closed the ones that were joint accounts .... seems strange not to have a bank account in my name but that's life .... can't wait to see what big brother does next to pry into our lives .... even the banks are complaining about the laws imposed upon them by the US IRS .... seems the BIR here made the deal with the IRS because the IRS agreed not to tax them on their holdings in the US .... or so I was told by a bank employee (of reliable source) .... ain't it great that the US Government can stoop to black mail to get what it wants .... but don't you try it or you'll end up in jail .... can you say double standard .... 

Anyway waiting until the next shoe drops .... I'm sure they will figure out what is going on and make a new requirement like no US Citizen can send money to a foreign country .... you laugh .... but we laughed when they said the government was spying on us by taping our phones and such .... and then Home Land Security was formed and they can do whatever they damn well please .... Hummmmmm I wonder what our founding fathers would have thought of HLS .... :no:

Ahhhhhhhhh .... the land of the FREE and the home of the brave ..... :rolleyes:

:cheersty:

I'm wondering since my wife is a dual citizen can she get away opening an account and not reveal to the Philippine bank the fact she is dual citizen?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I'm wondering since my wife is a dual citizen can she get away opening an account and not reveal to the Philippine bank the fact she is dual citizen?

My wife is not dual, she recently opened a Metrobank acct in her name only, all her documents are local and no mention of being married. She was required to sign the form stating she was not a US citizen. If you are it authorizes them to release account information. Who knows what each bank is doing but at least that branch required it. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Cuba comes to mind when I read that. I think that it is allowed but within limits and only to family.

There are limits as to the amount of US dollars sent to family members. The limits will increase soon. The tax when converting US currency is 10%. None for Canadian. Go figure.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

My wife is not dual, she recently opened a Metrobank acct in her name only, all her documents are local and no mention of being married. She was required to sign the form stating she was not a US citizen. If you are it authorizes them to release account information. Who knows what each bank is doing but at least that branch required it. 

As much as I wanted to hit the like button on your post for the information, I was just too mad at the moment to like anything about whole thing our government is doing to us! :bash:

Thanks anyway for the information. :thumbsup: