Angeles City Questions

samsensam
Posted
Posted

i will be visiting angeles city for a wedding (not mine!) and have a few questions:

on arrival at clark is it easier/cheaper to take a cab from the rank to the hotel or ask the hotel to arrange a pick up? how much will it cost, i'm staying near fields?

can you get a bus from angeles city to manila international airport? how often do they run? how much?

are there any second hand english bookshops in angeles city?

i'm not into the night life are there any interesting places to visit in the city/surrounding area?

thanks for any help

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am not an expert on Angeles but have passed through there a few times.

I think it will be easy enough to get a cab from the airport.

Yes there is a bus to Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Manila. Cannot recall the details. Check which terminal you require as major international airlines now fly from T3 not T1.

I have never come across a second-hand bookshop in the Philippines. If you find one, please let me know.

I cannot think of anything to do in Angeles. It is not known for its cultural and scenic attractions.

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have never come across a second-hand bookshop in the Philippines. If you find one, please let me know.

I've seen second-hand book shops in the malls of Cebu.

To the OP-

Go to a bookstore and have a look at the Lonely Planet guidebook for the Philippines.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I normally make arrangements with the hotel to pick me up at airport ($2900P from Manila or $450P from Clark).  I normally do a quick money exchange then look for the driver who is holding a sign with my name on it.

I am sure they have a store that sells books at the SM mall which is walking distance from Fields Ave.  BTW, if your into reading, I would recommend getting an Amazon Kindle for your trip.  Book stores are a thing of the past, even in the Philippines, as long as you have wi fi internet access. 

If your not into the night life, why are you staying on Fields?  Nothing else to do there but girls and bars.  Sounds like you will be going to a mean bachelor party (parties). 

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Iirc, There's an ATM that takes Visa immediately outside the airport, before the taxi rank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
on arrival at clark is it easier/cheaper to take a cab from the rank to the hotel or ask the hotel to arrange a pick up? how much will it cost, i'm staying near fields?

The taxi mafia has a pretty firm grip at the airport. Rarely will you find a white metered cab there, usually it's vans with hawkers trying to fill them to capacity and even then they will try to overcharge you. They will typically quote you p700-1K, but you can counter offer with p200-300. There's an air-con Jeepny that will take you to the Jeepny terminal on Fields/Perimeter Rd, from there you can walk or take a trike, Jeepny cost = p50/70 and trike p50-100.

Recommended method would be to ask your hotel for pickup service, but not all hotels offer it. Cost should be from p350 to p450, depends on the hotel. 

can you get a bus from angeles city to manila international airport? how often do they run? how much?

Can't help with bus direct to MNL airport, I did take one once from Cubao (MNL) bus terminal to AC (Dau bus terminal). Cost = p190 for taxi to bus terminal, p140 for the bus and p100 for trike from Dau to my hotel in AC. The bus ride was long (almost 4 hours due to "TraPPiK", hot (despite it being an air-con bus) and not very comfortable. Recommended and safest = private car service, cost should be about p2,500 to p3,500; depends on the service/hotel you use. I can personally recommend the service thru Margarita Station, they've always been on time (usually show up 15-30 minutes early) and the cost IMHO is reasonable.

http://www.margaritastation.com/airport.html

are there any second hand english bookshops in angeles city?

Not that I'm aware of, but I seen a street vendor set up a stall at the Apo market with used books (mix of English, Tagalog, Korean, etc). The Apo market is like a cross between a typical Filipino wet market and a flee market. It's only on Fridays and best to go early in the morning. Take a trike (p50/70).

i'm not into the night life are there any interesting places to visit in the city/surrounding area?
http://www.margaritastation.com/whats_on.html
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

There are used book stores all over the Philippines in the larger malls .... I should know J loves to read and our place is full of books .... she goes at least once or twice a week .... just have to go to a mall and ask information or one of the better educated guards .... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted
I would recommend getting an Amazon Kindle for your trip.  Book stores are a thing of the past, even in the Philippines, as long as you have wi fi internet access. 

You do not have to buy a Kindle to have access to the Kindle books. You can download the app for IOS, Android, Mac and install on your tablet or computer. This will give you access to the books that you purchase. I have rarely been able to find any books of interest to me in the Philippine book stores.

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

I would recommend getting an Amazon Kindle for your trip.  Book stores are a thing of the past, even in the Philippines, as long as you have wi fi internet access. 

You do not have to buy a Kindle to have access to the Kindle books. You can download the app for IOS, Android, Mac and install on your tablet or computer. This will give you access to the books that you purchase. I have rarely been able to find any books of interest to me in the Philippine book stores.

Yeah, true, but have you ever read a book using the Kindle Paper White?  If your an avid reader, it is not the same reading off of a computer screen, even a tablet.  I would highly recommend everyone at least try the Kindle.  Even actual novels feel clumsy to me now - the way you have to hold it, bend it and turn pages... the technology is so spoiling... anything you desire to read is at your finger tips now...

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

But then again... I never spent my days in AC reading books... spent most of the daylight nursing hang overs and back out at night... rinse and repeat!

• Like 2