Colombian Squires

virginprune
Posted
Posted

The 16 year old son of my significant other is a Colombian Squire. This is a charity affiliated through his local church, the main work they do is bible studies and providing hot meals to the poorest children in the community. We have discussed the possibility of me sending, by Balikbayan box, some second hand children's clothing and also some drawing books and crayons. My question is, will this be allowed or is it likely to be stopped, or taxed, on arrival in the Philippines? Would it help to put on the documentation that it is for charity?

I have read the locked thread about sending second hand clothes but this is just one medium box I intend to send.

I would be very grateful for any info that will help me on this matter. Thanks

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

The items you mention are readily available here. IMHO you'd get more bang for your buck if you just sent your significant other some money. She can purchase the items at a local market / ukay ukay (second hand) store which would save you the expense and hassle of sending a box. Have her take a pic of the items and send it to you if you want to see what she bought.

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

The items you mention are readily available here. IMHO you'd get more bang for your buck if you just sent your significant other some money. She can purchase the items at a local market / ukay ukay (second hand) store which would save you the expense and hassle of sending a box. Have her take a pic of the items and send it to you if you want to see what she bought.

Thank you for your reply. What you suggest I have already considered but after having perused some of these local stores, I feel that the quality of the clothes are not that good, especially for childrens clothing. Regarding cost, Forex Cargo are doing a deal at the moment on medium size boxes. Usual price for one box from UK to Mindanao is £75, with this promotion you can send three for £100. As I will be sending two with personal effects the third box will be essentially free. The clothes will be donated by friends, therefore free. The colouring books and crayons/pencils will come from the pound shop which will make my outlay minimal. My initial question regarding importation remains valid.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Hi Mr Prune

Because this question is in the charity forum many members choose not to read so getting your answer is more difficult. I have Emailed member "Bruce" asking him to answer you as he sends lots of boxes for charity so hopefully he will help you.

This is the latest shipment which I posted on his website for him. 

http://www.philippinebasicneeds.com/deaf-students-receive-gifts/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Philippine-Basic-Needs-Outreach-Program/342587392454462

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Hi Mr Prune

Because this question is in the charity forum many members choose not to read so getting your answer is more difficult. I have Emailed member "Bruce" asking him to answer you as he sends lots of boxes for charity so hopefully he will help you.

This is the latest shipment which I posted on his website for him. 

http://www.philippinebasicneeds.com/deaf-students-receive-gifts/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Philippine-Basic-Needs-Outreach-Program/342587392454462

Thank you Mr Jolly

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Address the Balikbayan box to an individual rather than the name of the charity. The contents are treated as personal effects. Sending clothes are okay provided these are donations. If you plan to purchase, it is better to send money.

Bruce had problems with the last shipment to Samar. It took about 4 months for the boxes to arrive.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Address the Balikbayan box to an individual rather than the name of the charity. The contents are treated as personal effects. Sending clothes are okay provided these are donations. If you plan to purchase, it is better to send money.Bruce had problems with the last shipment to Samar. It took about 4 months for the boxes to arrive.

Thank you, that is very helpful.

• Like 1