Big Cc Motorcycles

Williamtgriffiths
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I want to buy a large cc motorbike to use for road trips around the Philippines. An adventure tourer type.

There are dealers advertising BMW's, Ducati's, Motor Guzzi's and many other makes. 

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these dealers and what their feed back is. I'm worried that as soon as they have sold the bike the back up, service and spare parts will not exist.

Does anyone know of motorcycle clubs around the Philippines. Preferably not Harley based.

Thanks

William

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I want to buy a large cc motorbike to use for road trips around the Philippines. An adventure tourer type.

There are dealers advertising BMW's, Ducati's, Motor Guzzi's and many other makes. 

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these dealers and what their feed back is. I'm worried that as soon as they have sold the bike the back up, service and spare parts will not exist.

Does anyone know of motorcycle clubs around the Philippines. Preferably not Harley based.

Thanks

William

I am also interested in the answer. There are serious bikers on this forum.

However I am starting to wonder if big bikes are a good idea? 

• Like 1

barryneves
Posted
Posted

I have owned a fair number of big bikes over here over the years: two BMWs (1150GS and 1200GS), a Vstrom 1000, Fazer 1000, Kawasaki Versys and Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, as well as a number of runarounds. At the present time you can get officially imported bikes from Kawasaki, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, BMW and Husqvarna. The Super Tenere is not currently available through Yamaha and was sourced from a very reliable grey importer in Manila. However, the problems always arise when it comes to servicing. With the BMs, we had to club together and pay for the tech to come down from Manila and service 2 or 3 bikes in Cebu over a weekend. BMW rates plus board and lodging! There are a few very competent mechanics scattered across the country but personally I have little faith in the skills of some of the official importers mechanics, Particularly one alleged Ducati service center that did their work on the sidewalk! The Kawasaki main workshop in Mandaue seemed fairly competent but the reality is that things such as PDIs are pretty much a suggestion here and parts availability can be everything from immediate, albeit at a price (BMW) to having to wait over 6 months for a part (for a Triumph Tiger 800). Really depends where in the country you are located. Several good big bike mechanics around Cebu and Dumaguete for example.

Follow-up service is also something of a lottery. The grey importer I mentioned in manila is as good as any business in the USA or Europe, but a lot of so-called official dealers are just as mentioned in the OP, only interested in the money. Will promise anything till the sale is complete, then their service ethic wanes dramatically.

And yes, there are a number of big bike clubs to choose from, though through personal preference I did most of my riding trips with just one or two friends

If you guys want any further info feel free to pm me anytime.

Cheers - Barry.  

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Silly questiion. I am very fond of my old BMW K-75, and I also like the old "bullet proof" airheads.

The airheads are really very simple (K-bike much less so, but never goes wrong!) and I think simple servicing is all they will need.

Does anyone have such bikes?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Cement truck going north makes left turn in front of southbound bike. One dead Foreigner.

Despite lowered speed limit Dutchman killed in SRP accident

By Decemay P. Padilla/FPL (The Freeman) | Updated February 18, 2015 - 12:00am
0  1 googleplus0  0
CEBU, Philippines - Despite the Cebu City government’s lowering the speed limit to 40 kilometers per hour, road accident continues to happen at the South Road Properties.

The latest of which has claimed the life of a Dutchman who was run over by a cement mixer truck yesterday afternoon.

Harald Heinz Walter, 55, was declared dead on arrival at the Cebu City Medical Center.

Walter was driving his motorcycle heading south when he bumped into the mixer truck driven by Roger Visitacion, 44, resident of Sitio Panagdait Barangay Basak-San Nicolas, Cebu City. The truck is owned by Geo Transport.

Visitacion said he came from Talisay City and was on his way to deliver concrete mix at the University of the Philippines. The truck driver said he made a left turn and did not see Walter coming.

He said he only noticed that something bumped into his truck. It was already too late when he saw Walter because the latter was already ran over by his truck.

Freeman ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch:

Visitacion was immediately held under custody of the Mobile Patrol Group and SRP police.

Alberto Ollaban, of the Cebu City Traffic Operations and Management, said both Walter and Visitacion were in correct lane. However, Walter may have been overspeeding because of the 12-meter skid mark and 7-meter drag mark.

Visitacion will be charged with reckless imprudence resulting in homicide.

Mayor Michael Rama earlier ordered to lower to 40kph from 60kph the speed limit at the SRP because of the series of accidents in the area. The mayor believes that by lowering the speed limit accidents will be prevented. — (FREEMAN)

jon1
Posted
Posted

If you are looking for an older bike you will have to buy one used. You cannot import a used bike legally. Also buying a used bike you have to question on whether it was taken care of properly. 

I know of a couple decent mechanics in the Angeles area and Manila has a large population of big bikes. They just had a big cruiser fest on the 7th in Makati. 

Riding a motorcycle is great fun and an excellent stress release. It also has a lot of dangers due to the poor driving habits of most drivers. You constantly have to be watching your rear view mirrors and have your head on a swivel. Especially in the metro areas or on the expressways. Riding a motorcycle in Manila was listed as one of the 10 most dangerous things to do in the world. http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/play/10-most-adrenaline-fueled-activities-asia-397518  

In the province you have to deal with rice drying in the road (usually after a blind curve or a rise that hides it until the last minute) and animals on the road. Not to mention trike U-turns and jeepney stops without brake lights.

It is still an activity that I would recommend just be cautious. I have ridden from Manila to Davao and back and enjoyed the trip. I usually ride alone but would recommend to have at least one travel companion for emergencies.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm throwing this one out there as I don't really know the full answer... Don't you have to have a certain size bike before you can take it on the highway?

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

on the highway?

I guess Bob that would be "What is a Highway"?

Here in Dumaguete, Our two Highways (North and South) are congested with, Scooters, small engine Motorbikes, Push Bikes herds of Whatever, when it suit's people Over the big Island I guess they have what I would call a Highway, 2/3 lane, one up one down Lanes, as we would know them But........... here it seems anything goes Until......... That accident, then and only then are things Questioned.  

post-2148-0-89215100-1424239809.jpg  South Highway  :unsure:

post-2148-0-85049900-1424239987_thumb.jp North Highway  :rolleyes:

post-2148-0-48037200-1424240072_thumb.jp  Oooooooooops Sorry, that's the Runway  :)  

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I'm throwing this one out there as I don't really know the full answer... Don't you have to have a certain size bike before you can take it on the highway?

400cc for North Luzon Expressway ("NLEX")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
400cc for North Luzon Expressway ("NLEX")

Good job its electric start now, I can't see many kicking over a 400 cc There legs are not long enough 

• Like 1