Usage Of The Word Mil For Thousand In Filipino Languages

callippo
Posted
Posted

Years ago, pre-Euro, I used to work on the Spanish-speaking island of Tenerife. Though I never bothered to learn Spanish, like other foreigners I did pick up Spanish expressions and idioms. One of them was the word MIL meaning thousand, 2 mil, 5 mil and 10 mil meant two thousand, five thousand, ten thousand, and so on.

Filipino languages contain many Spanish words however I have never heard of anybody using mil here to mean thousand.

• Like 1

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
Filipino languages contain many Spanish words however I have never heard of anybody using mil here to mean thousand.

It depends on which language they are using to count with.  So, five thousand in Tagalog is limang libo.  If in Spanish, cinco mil.  In my wife's family, they still use Spanish mainly in counting, so I here mil quite a bit. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

OH! you surprise me, here in the visya it is commonly used, but then bisyan is totall a mixed Spanish Dialect. Maybe Negros uses it more but it is a very common way that our locals say a thousand, as in Cien for a hundred and all the other Spanish numbers: 

A link to show how Spanish still has a big impact even in Tagalog

http://learningtagalog.com/grammar/other_describing_words/expressing_quantity_or_distribution/spanishderived_cardinal_numbers.html

Morning :tiphat:  All,

JP

• Like 2

callippo
Posted
Posted

I hear them use lower Spanish numerals all the time together with English ones of course, in some contexts they seem always to use Spanish numerals when they want 5s to put in the videoke machine they always ask for cinqos, never 5s. Maybe they used mil more formerly, the expression they use now to my ear for thousand is the modern k when a job's wages is 6 thousand they don't say six thousand or six mil like we did in Tenerife, they say 6k.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
the expression they use now to my ear for thousand is the modern k when a job's wages is 6 thousand they don't say six thousand or six mil like we did in Tenerife, they say 6k.

Maybe in the City and it sounds as if you are mixing with locals that have a big US influence around them, "K" is used primarily by the US People and so therefore it will tag on, the Provinces are a lot slower in picking these things up, I have never heard any local here in my Area ever use the term "K"  So I am not sure if you are basing this on your own thoughts but if you get out among the people you will hear "Mil" used a lot.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 3

deevey
Posted
Posted

the expression they use now to my ear for thousand is the modern k when a job's wages is 6 thousand they don't say six thousand or six mil like we did in Tenerife, they say 6k.

Maybe in the City and it sounds as if you are mixing with locals that have a big US influence around them, "K" is used primarily by the US People and so therefore it will tag on, the Provinces are a lot slower in picking these things up, I have never heard any local here in my Area ever use the term "K"  So I am not sure if you are basing this on your own thoughts but if you get out among the people you will hear "Mil" used a lot.

JP :tiphat:

Only ever heard K too .. e.g. one point five k from anyone for thousands. One point five Mil always means one million. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
One point five Mil always means one million. 

deevy, did you ask you wife what mil means in money terms?

Morning all,

:tiphat:  :morning1:

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted

It means that when they borrow 1.5 M from you, they pay you back only 1 M.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

It means that when they borrow 1.5 M from you, they pay you back only 1 M.

No... they borrow 1 million... they pay back 1 mil as in 1,000  :tiphat:

Ok, I asked my wife how do you say thousand when dealing with money.  She said "libo".  Like cinco libo.  I asked what is mil.  She said mil is 1 million.  I asked mil is not used for thousand?  No... she said... and looking at me like I am crazy.

I said' cinco mil?'  She goes "Oh, yes.... mil and libo same thing. cinco mil, cinco libo. Same thing.  I forgot" 

That being said I have never heard anyone say mil.  But no one here speaks Tagalog, and very little Spanish.  I guess Ilonggo does not use mil...

Then I asked her what was 1K and she had no idea.  So she comes back and asks me what is a buck?  Like 5 bucks.  I told her a buck was a dollar.  It is from sawbuck, which was 10 dollars - but I have no idea why.  At least the K=thousand makes sense...

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)

deevey
Posted
Posted

deevy, did you ask you wife what mil means in money terms?

Morning all,

:tiphat:  :morning1:

Haha, you got me, damn typo ....

Or maybe I'm just working my way down to becoming a Millionaire ..  :cheersty: