Emergency Request: A- Blood Donor Needed In Cebu

jon1
Posted
Posted

To anyone with A- blood willing to donate in Cebu.

I got this email from the SOSI blood donor program based in Manila

Mr. Scadlock is a 30 year Veteran. If you can donate or know someone that
can, please contact Jacquelyn at the number provided.

Local retired United States Veteran is in Chong Hua hospital diagnosed with
Leukemia and is in need of A-Neg Blood donors ASAP to help stabilize his
condition so that he can be medivac to the States for treatment.
Anyone willing to donate blood please contact Jacquilyn at 09497486207 to
help... Thank you!!

We just got more information on this Vet - Vet is John Scadlock 30 years
US Army.
Room Number at Chong Hua is 653
Blood can be donated at Chong Hua Blood Bank A Negative Only

If you are able to help please contact jacquilyn.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted (edited)

Would it be acceptable to share this on Facebook?

Also, I am not in Cebu I am in Iloilo... is there a way I can donate.  I am A-

Edited by Tukaram (Tim)
  • Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I keep trying to call the number and get a message that it is unattended please try again later.... no option to even leave a message.... 

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I keep trying to call the number and get a message that it is unattended please try again later.... no option to even leave a message....

Could be out of range, low battery, no load, who knows. Try texting. I don't think you'll be able to donate unless you can go to Chong Hua. I have to go there tomorrow and will stop by and find out more info if he's still there.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I went to see John today and spent about an hour talking to him and his dad who came over from the US to take care of him. Seems like a great guy, only 47, married with 2 small children and another on the way. They have a house in Ormoc. He looked pretty good but weak. His father said he's had a huge improvement since being admitted on Feb 14. As indicated above he is an army veteran who served in Afghanistan and they are convinced that his condition is related to the combat tour there. The plan is to get him stabilized and return to the US on the 18th to Tulane University Hospital. He urgently needs 2 units of A- and it is apparently extremely rare among Filipinos. His father told me he was going to bars looking for expats to donate but so far coming up empty due to the blood type.

Tim or anyone who has or knows someone A-, there are a couple options if you are out of the area. One of the doctors told me you can have the blood shipped to the hospital but it has to be coordinated with the Chong Hua Blood Bank (032 255 8000 x5128). His father said he will pay for the shipping or if you can come to Chong Hua he will pay expenses for the trip as long as you are able to donate. John's cell phone # is 09282781657. He has the phone beside him at all times but you can text if he's asleep.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Would it be acceptable to share this on Facebook?  

YES please do so  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I will text John in the morning.  And I have posted this on numerous Facebook expat Groups - but I told them to contact me for Cebu contact numbers... I did not want to post their cell phones numbers openly on FB.  I did, however post the blood bank number.

• Like 4

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

A friend from my Rotary club said he is pretty sure we can get the Red Cross to ship my donation to Cebu... supposed to hear more this afternoon.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Ok - I am going in the morning to Red Cross to donate.  They said they will ship it from Iloilo to Cebu. 

AND I just got contacted by an expat in Cavite that says he will call his local Red Cross in the morning. I gave him the Cavite Red Cross info, and all the hospital info.  So hopefully John will get at least 2 units...

• Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted

John contacted me and said the doctors told him that his condition is stable and there is no further need for blood donors at this time. He wants to thank everyone for the help and support, he and his family are very grateful. They have tickets to leave on the 18th and all looks good. He said he would stay in touch and I will try to get him to join the forum when he gets settled. Thanks, everyone.

• Like 4