When To Begin Taking U.s. Ss Payments

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks boys for giving me the answer, seems you are on a better deal then us Brits with our state pension, but i am sure someone will come along and tell me i am wrong, I DO HOPE SO

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Thanks boys for giving me the answer, seems you are on a better deal then us Brits with our state pension, but i am sure someone will come along and tell me i am wrong, I DO HOPE SO

Steve you are going to hate me But............ we also have a deferred Payment System, The Later you take it the More you Get. Log on to https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/state-pensionto get the latest Update.

Sorry mate.

:tiphat:

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Steve you are going to hate me But............ we also have a deferred Payment System, The Later you take it the More you Get. Log on to https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/state-pensionto get the latest Update.

Sorry mate.

:tiphat:

How did i know it would be you that came along Jack,

Its a long time till i will be able to get the state pension infact it will be another 10 years, so if i retire in say 2 i still have 8 years to wait,

We all know a lot can happen from now till then and if someone in a few years time starts a new thread can i live on $10500 a month well i know i shall be drawing it straight away,

But its good to know that if i live that long there will be something to look forward too and maybe spend that little bit more too

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I will start taking SS as soon as I am eligible at 62. Get it while you can, who knows when the money will run out. Plus I agree I would rather use that money to enjoy life while I can than have it pile up in a bank when I am older and less mobile.

Of course everyone's situation is different based on your retirement savings and other pensions you may have.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

What you will DO with the money you get EARLIER

Spend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I for one wish to do things while I am still healthy enough to enjoy it. (Vacations and the like).

But then again its is just my wife and I (both the same age and no children).

Then I suppouse the total will be less if become over 81   :)

I ment use SOME of the EARLIER got money to get income from them, so get more TOTALY than if retire late.

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:36_1_50[1]: Age 70 :714_full_of_crap:  :714_full_of_crap:age66 :emostrongbow:   :540:  :cheersty:  :nudie: AGE 62

GET IT NOW

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I hate reading about all you guys and your SS pensions! Yes. We have CPP in Canada but anything I collect, the bsdtards deduct from my military pension. So, in my case? Why bother collecting?

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The final decision is up to you after you do some calculations. First of all, you can decide to receive SS payments and stil continue to work.  You will be able to earn a certain amount before it is taxed. Even then, it might be financially beneficial to work, collect SS and pay the extra income tax. 

That is what I plan to do. 

I'm married to a Filipina and we have a home in the PI. She is there now. I'm back in the states now to do my taxes. I have a steady income but I can also work at my job when I am here. 

Good Luck with your decision.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

The Social Security Administration recommends waiting until 70 years to start collecting benefits. Their reasoning is you will then receive the maximum allowed. What they don't mention is 7% of Americans who turn 62 won't make it to 70. If you are part of the 7% group, there is no payout.

On the other hand, if you don't need the benefits at age 62, you might want to wait until 66 years to receive full benefits.

Full benefits use to be 65 years, moved to 66 or 67 depending on the year you are born. The reason is many Americans are living longer. Social Security started around 1935 when many Americans died around age 65. The benefits were designed to assist those who lived longer.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

BoB same with grand dad.  Pa had a pension from WWI and every time it increased his SS went down or vice versa he said it was like Chinese overtime.  Made out great though didn't work long after WWII and lived until 86. Life expectancy was 65.3 years.  The whole scheme is falling apart because government borrowed the money and put it in another pocket without paying back.  Same promise as it makes on bonds except more than we owe to SS than China. If they make it last till 47 I'm fine. Be about a 100 then and prob. won't care just be chasing women and drinking and general debauchery.   :cheersty:  :nudie:  :nudie:

• Like 2