Employment For An American In The Phillipines.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll be meeting them for the first time and want to make a good impression and not come across as selfish. Then again I do not want to be an atm. Tough balance to find I think.

Yes, concerning some Filipinos,

but some are PROUD and DON'T ask for assistance even when they would need it.

• 1 month later...
Hero
Posted
Posted

I'm also interested in this topic. I was hoping to get a job teaching at an international school. I figure that I'd have a shot, because I was a college professor for 6 years. I could also get certified as a teacher of English as a second language and give private English lessons. One thing I DON'T want to do is work in my cubicle for another 20 years until I can live off my savings and investments. 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I'm also interested in this topic. I was hoping to get a job teaching at an international school. I figure that I'd have a shot, because I was a college professor for 6 years. I could also get certified as a teacher of English as a second language and give private English lessons. One thing I DON'T want to do is work in my cubicle for another 20 years until I can live off my savings and investments.

I don't want to burst your bubble so may I suggest you go back and read some of the older posts about teaching on here? Especially teaching English! Sorry!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Maybe it is me but I can't for the life of me even try and Understand why anyone would want to work here with the abysmal salary and conditions. My SIL is a teacher and has a 6 day contract. Even now in the holiday period she is expected to go into the school at least twice a week for something or Other.

The way the curriculum is done and lesson programming, each days work is only arrived at the night before, so each night she has to sit for maybe 2 hours sorting out Tomorrows Lessons.  Someone please tell me this is worth the pittance Teachers get.

I can't see it being any Different (Except worse) for a Foreigner. If some one Has to work here, maybe they are just not ready to make the move.

Sorry all, I have no wish to be negative But where a negative is warranted, then I think we must accept it.

BTW did I tell you that they are responsible for Cleaning the class rooms each night, Kids and Teachers. Joan will be Cleaning Windows the Week before Classes Start.  :rolleyes:

JP :tiphat:

Morning all, Late start today  :morning1:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Maybe it is me but I can't for the life of me even try and Understand why anyone would want to work here with the abysmal salary and conditions.

Take your worst day working on a tropical island, with beautiful scenery, lovely ladies, and good friends.  Now take your best day working in 40 below, with backstabbing workmates, grey skies and deep white snow everywhere, and fat ugly ladies who won't give you the time of day.  Now compare.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Take your worst day working on a tropical island, with beautiful scenery, lovely ladies, and good friends.  Now take your best day working in 40 below, with backstabbing workmates, grey skies and deep white snow everywhere, and fat ugly ladies who won't give you the time of day.  Now compare.

Sorry I thought we were still in the PI or did you move ? :hystery:

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Maybe it is me but I can't for the life of me even try and Understand why anyone would want to work here with the abysmal salary and conditions.
A work can make it possible to move years EARLIER than waiting until retirement   :)

((I get "enough" from Sweden by things I can do through Internet part time.  Enough to survive in western messure, enough for luxury in poor Filipino messure   :)  (=30 000 - 40 000p per month depending of currency fluctuations, plus perhaps a rent income if my house will be rented out, not sold.)     But I will try to earn some more, because I want a biger house and a cheap car. I can do that by "harvest sharing", but I will start a business anyway, trying to make jobs and income for the FUTURE for wife from when kids get older and I want to retire step by step, and the kids too when they grow up.))

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
((I get "enough" from Sweden by things I can do through Internet part time

Maybe Thomas but we are not talking internet work are we, we are talking about a member that is contemplating working as a teacher here Physically. A whole world of Difference I think you will agree?

JP :tiphat:

Thomas
Posted
Posted

((I get "enough" from Sweden by things I can do through Internet part time

Maybe Thomas but we are not talking internet work are we, we are talking about a member that is contemplating working as a teacher here Physically. A whole world of Difference I think you will agree?

Corect.  But you cut the quote to early  :)

I will ALSO:

I will try to earn some more, because I want a biger house and a cheap car. I can do that by "harvest sharing", but I will start a business anyway

I will NOT retire myself when I move, but some chose to retire years earlier with a lower retirement pay, so they can move to Phils earlier. Perhaps they need to work some in Phils to get the life style they want.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Perhaps they need to work some in Phils to get the life style they want.

My point exactly but Thomas my friend, it will not be from the salary of a teacher and that was the basis of my post.  :thumbsup:

JP  :tiphat:

Morning all  :morning1: