Atm Machine Eat My Card!!!! What To Do?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

During my visit last month I inserted my US Credit Union card into an ATM machine. After several minutes nothing happened, I panicked! Knowing my only ATM card was inside a machine that could be dead or stalled out or who knows what, what to do? I hit the cancel button thinking maybe that would work. Nothing. Maybe five minutes passed the machine canceled and my card released. It seemed like an hour but those five minutes I was in total panic mode. I did not have a cell phone.

What would you guys have done? Do you have a plan for something like this?

• Like 1

Czechman
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's wild and I haven't used an ATM here since I was last here in 2008. That time, the ATM (in Bukidnon) took a long time as well and though it said that it debited my card (according to the receipt), I received no $, and I was freaked-out. Luckily, it was a BDO ATM and I went inside the bank to ask them if they knew for sure if the ATM machine was legit/online - or was defective/out of $/not formatted for USA cards/etc, they claimed that it should be OK. However, I was still freaked and frazzled about the incident and when I got back to the states, luckily, all was well.

But seriously, I really don't know what I'd do if the ATM swallowed my card and remained unresponsive. Also, I would definitely be calling the ph# on the back of the card (photocopy your cards front and back and keep in a secure place) so they are aware that something could be array, if: 1) I didn't get the card back =-o and 2) possible defective ATM or worse, a card-skimming device or a similar criminal-hacking circumstance may have occurred... ?? (Link: http://krebsonsecurity.com/category/all-about-skimmers/)

I think though, that in the future, I would use an ATM affiliated with a Phils bank and the bank was opened first, before I use the ATM--in case something like this happened again.

It's a good thing it gave your card back after all that time you had to wait!

Edited by Czechman
  • Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I had that happen to me. I went to the bank affiliated with the ATM and got my card back . Now I only use bank ATM during banking hours.

It happened to me on a Saturday afternoon and yes, it was a bit unnerving.  The bank was closed, there was no emergency number, and I ended up waiting a couple hours to see if it would spit the money or card back out.  I ended up going back Monday morning, showing some ID, and they pulled the card out of the machine from the inside.  And like Lou49 said, I only use ATM's now during normal banking hours.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I had it happen to me and I also waited until the card was spat out in about 15 minutes.  DON'T GO ANYWHERE if it happens to you or if you must then ask the security guard to watch for your card as eventually it will get spat out and you don't want someone else to get it.

Another thing I hate is when the machine glitches.  It will complete the transaction and then not give any money.  So far I have been lucky as the glitch seems to happen before my bank in Canada sends the electronic cash.  It means I panic but do not lose the money.

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I have never gave it a thought, but now i will

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
Now I only use bank ATM during banking hours.

That's a good idea Lou,

Thank God it didn't happen to me, but it did happen to my wife, her last trip in December.

With no money she, rang me in panic, some 6000 miles away!

I got in touch with our bank to explain that she had used the wrong pin number, I was shocked that they refused to discuss the matter with me, because I was not the card holder! (this was a joint account). I had to send a money transfer out and she borrowed money from her family till it arrived. Believe me you dont want it to happen, especially if you dont speak the lingo and are travelling alone!

My advice, only use the over the counter service during banking hours and avoid ATM's unless you have a second card for       emergency's.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I guess I have been lucky on my visits to the Phils as never had a problem at an ATM except for an embarrassing moment once not long after getting off the plane. Asked taxi to stop at a bank with ATM on the way into the city, the ATM was like in the banks foyer but being bit tired perhaps stressed the ATM would not work for me and swallowed the card. I went into to talk to a teller about getting the card back when I discovered I had put it back in my wallet and the machine never swallowed it. I'm sure they were thinking another dumb foreigner. 

:1 (103):

• Like 4

Petey
Posted
Posted

When you use an ATM it usually allows you to be inactive for a couple of minutes before asking if you need more time. Its a default on all machines. If your card has been held longer than it should, report it to your bank or origin ASAP. Report it to the bank that owns the machine.

Another thing always use machines that are in the wall of the bank, there is always a guard at the door so you never need leave the machine.

@ Jollygoodfellow : I too have done this. First time it had happened and im in a total panic. All the money i had access too was there - realised that i had put it in my wallet.

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Happened to me back in 2011 at the Metrobank ATM inside Bethel House Dumaguete. Card came back out but transaction completed but no money and already debited out. It took 10 days but the bank credited my money back.

• Like 1