Brownouts In Mindanao

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have the distinct impression that these are becoming more frequent. It may be that the dry season is affecting hydro power, or it may be that there simply has not been enough investment in power generation in Mindanao.

K, in rural Zamboanga del Sur.  seems to get two brown outs a day, at present.

Edited by Methersgate

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Marbel appears to be ok with brownouts at the moment. The last all day one was a few weeks ago. Last week all phone and Internet was down, apart from Globe, for one day but power has been on!

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The power supply is not enough for the population and so the electric companies have to ration out what they have available. California has a power supply problem also. They have to borrow power from Arizona in peak periods.

There is enough hydroelectric power in Mindanao they just don't have the money to avail themselves of it. You will see electric companies raise the cost of electricity to users in order to avail themselves of more power.

Some home owners use generators. Others have small battery operated fans and lights. Many who live close to a mall go there until brownouts are over. 

It's not really " more fun in the Philippines"

jon1
Posted
Posted

My wife just came back from Zambo a few weeks ago. Over a 10 day period she experienced brownouts daily. Some for as long as 12 hours.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Isn't it some depending of DISTANCE to where the electric produced?

(It's just a theory I have, but I don't have enough statistics to know if that theory is corect or wrong.)

i am bob
Posted
Posted

One of the power plants is down for maintenance so there are rotating brown outs throughout the island... The remaining power plants are carrying the load but can't handle everybody so.... Probably another month before they are back online, if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Thanks. That makes sense.

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Thanks. That makes sense.

I wouldn't say it makes sense. But it does explain the rolling brownouts.

• Like 1