Home Schooling, Online Schooling?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Are there any Expats home schooling their children? :1 (235):

With the advent of online support and the opportunity to host a "real" teacher into your home it seems a good choice.

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I have and continue to consider this.  The only thing that holds me back is I just think of the social interaction of school sharing.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

In Washington State you have the ability to have your children attend school on a part time basis or for a particular subject.

I was interested in what Expats living in Philippines have experienced.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I 'home schooled' my kids in Canada and would do it again if I had kids here in Philippines.  But it was not really the kind of home schooling we old fellers think of.  Now its Virtual Education and the kids chat with each other on line and Skype with the teacher so the only thing missing is Gym class and extracurricular (which a lot of kids don't take advantage of even when they are physically in the school)..

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

My stepson attends a private school here. He attended public school in his early years so he is behind most of his classmates in English comprehension. He has managed to pass on to high school. I help him with his homework and I insist that he speaks English at home. It is or was difficult for him at first and he resented it. Now, he enjoys it and has improved a lot. We are optimistic about his future. He does well in games and sports. I prefer that he attends a school where he can interact with other children. It is better for his development socially and academically. ( my opinion )

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

You do bring up a great point. Interaction with other children in an academic situation can be important if its a good school and it sounds like you found a good one. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There are many after-school tutoring and other programs where there is also a sport or mass participation activity... For those who home school, this is a good way for the kids to get out and interact!

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Posted 6 minutes ago There are many after-school tutoring and other programs where there is also a sport or mass participation activity... For those who home school, this is a good way for the kids to get out and interact!

Very true in many Areas but then it really does depend on where you are going to live. Not all  areas of the PI are as accommodating for children as others.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Whichever way you choose to school your children it may help if you get them some lessons online. There are quite a few free learning sites you can use. BBCskillswise, GCF, Alison are a few I know of.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

It does not stop there of Course, Higher education can be done on Line also, " The Open University" comes to mind here, World wide respected and accepted. :thumbsup:

Just a Forward thought. :)

JP :tiphat: