Anyone Like To Prospect For Minerals?

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

In Oregon its a steadily growing hobby..panning ..sluicing..dredging.

The Philippines is pretty rich in mineral deposits and oil..was wondering if anyone out there does any poking around in the rivers here..would love to make a prospecting friend

Ive mined all over the usa..

Its a passion of mine.

Before i left home i sold my dredge..but man how i wish i had one here

But of course having one here would require a truck..

Cant really tow one behind my scooter haha

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know where they draw the line between looking at rocks and not allowed work.

Just so you know SMALL mining is NOT allowed for foreigners.

(But BIG mining can be ok with big investments.)

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

Hmm...Perhaps on the books its illegal but I've been small scale mining here for two months. As well have met a few foreigners that mine here but are too far from me to be a viable option.

If anyone's interested..this is a good way to put a few extra pesos in your pocket and get exercise and have a good time.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hmm...Perhaps on the books its illegal but I've been small scale mining here for two months. As well have met a few foreigners that mine here but are too far from me to be a viable option.

If anyone's interested..this is a good way to put a few extra pesos in your pocket and get exercise and have a good time.

Would advise caution here, except for some hobby type playing around.

Friend of mine has a sizable mine here in Negros, the permits and paper work required is extreme, he makes excellent money but, also much frustrations and officialdom. Wonders if it's worth it.

Best seek correct advice before proceeding, it's an occupation local officials are very guarded about.

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

In Phils things can be done illegal - until someone bother...  

We foreigners are extra vulnerable, because of biger risk of jelousy from Filipinos and beside the other punishments we can be deported too. Phil laws have PRISON in the punishment scale even for some of the rather small crimes. I don't want to be put in a Phil jail   :)   so I think much more about making things legal in Phils than I bother in my home country...

There are several remarkable laws in Phils, which we perhaps don't even think can be seen as a crime. E g they demand WORK PERMIT for VOLONTARY WORK !

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So what are you asking, hobby friend or a business proposal? 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
get exercise and have a good time.

Sounds like having fun fishing,,,a little sun, a little companionship, a little exercise a few brews.................

After awhile we just cut out the middleman, sat in the shade, told lies to each other,drank beer and just left the poor fish alone :cheersty:

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

I don't think you will have problems with the employment laws.

You might have problems with the environmental laws if ever someone wanted to get nasty.

North Philippines is quite innocuous as far as enforcement of laws, unless someone complains and that someone would have to be a person of power. How about the owner of the land.

You did say you were chummy with the local policeman, your gf's uncle, so I reckon you are safe enough. You would probably get a tip off if anything comes up. But I did warn you on the other post, if you did break up, it could rebound on you.

Just out of curiousity , how much could a person make panning, on let's say a 40 hour week?

calasiaobound
Posted
Posted

There's decent money to be made. What you guys are afraid of can easily be loopoled. There's 3 kanos that I know of that are making an excellent living small scale mining. They take 2-3 Filipinos with them each trip. If ever any authority comes..hey I'm just watching etc.

Dredging here is the key..look up what an oz of gold is going for...I don't mine anywhere unless I'm sucking 1/4 oz a day..1/4 is not even a good day IMO..Phil's has more gold than the USA. Experts estimate only 20% of the mineral laden areas have been explored since Spain was here...

Think gold rush yields from 1849..huge potential. Not easy....takes skill and effort and sometimes ..luck..if it were easy..everyone would be doing it.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

You know Calas when I first read your post I invisioned 4 or 5 guys renting one of those Jeepneys for hire, throwing in a couple of coolers of beer, some hotdogs and hamburgers (and some cucumber sandwiches for our Brit friends :no: ). Piling in with the wives and girlfriends (if we could persuade them to tromp around the jungle), grabbing those metal wash pans that every home here has for washing cloths, sitting along the edge of a stream and washing a few pans of gravel catching a buzz. You know, a harmless hobby.

Seems your proposing almost setting up a part time business mixed with pleasure, so here are my concerns

1. Start up costs (you have to buy or build those dredges and stuff)

2. Return on investment?

3. Payroll (those 2-3 Filipinos to do the grunt work are not gonna work for free)

4. Local officials, once someone sees a bunch of white guys driving into the bush with a bunch of equipment, someone's gonna ask questions.

5. Permission from who ever owns the ground, (someone does), what's their cut? Or do we sneak in?

6. Security, (here is the big one) ((and the huge unknown)) I can just picture a bunch of middle age white guys out in the middle of the jungle and out of the bush jump a bunch of young hoodlums armed with nothing but big sticks. 10-1 our Filipino helpers disappear, we can't run because Jack P is hampered by his oxygen bottle (sorry jack :lol: ), we shouldn't fight because no matter what happens we would most likely be at fault. Because one thing is for sure, you go to the same place twice, somebody is going to notice and we all know the power of Chismis.

There's 3 kanos that I know of that are making an excellent living small scale mining.

I would be very interested to know if these guys are getting permits, have the protection of licensed Filipino mining company or are just running around out there taking thier chances?

Edited by scott h
  • Like 1