Don`t Bounce Any Cheques Here

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)

Japanese deported after 16 years in BI custody

After 16 years of being incarcerated, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) finally sent home its longest staying detainee – a 47-year-old Japanese man.

BI spokesperson Elaine Tan said Junichi Inoue, who has been detained since 1999, was finally deported last Wednesday.

“We are glad to have finally deported him to his native country Japan, considering that the bureau is not in the business of detaining but deporting,” BI Commissioner Siegfred Mison said in a statement.

Inoue was apprehended and quarantined at the BI’s Warden Facility in Taguig City because he violated the conditions of his stay. His passport was cancelled and he was reportedly facing a robbery case in Japan.

Upon his arrest, Inoue applied for voluntary deportation, which was granted on May 13, 1999.

However, the BI was prevented from implementing the deportation order against Inoue because he had pending cases for the violation of Batas Pambansa 22, or the Anti-Bouncing Check Law, before the municipal trial courts of Cainta, Rizal; Biñan, Laguna; San Pedro, Laguna; and Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija.

BI rules provide that a foreign national subject to a final deportation order may not be physically deported if he has pending obligations with the Philippine government, especially if the obligation arises from a criminal liability.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Getting rid of superfluous links. Please paste 'plain text' when cut and pasting
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

So it took 16 years to finalize his pending cases. I wonder where her was held all that time.  :no:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My guess is there is more to this story.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
My guess is there is more to this story.

Isn't there always?

JP :tiphat: