Rates Are Up! Get Your Dollars Out From Under The Mattress!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The dollar vs. peso had been falling for a week or so, down as low as 50.60.  Recovered now to 51.10.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Dollar jumped back up the last few days and really zoomed yesterday.  Topped at 51.56 last night.  Right now at 51.45.

• Like 1

Castaway
Posted
Posted

The higher value of the dollar really helps me stay awash in beer since the prices have gone up (as mentioned in another topic).

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Zoomed up to 51.75, currently 51.74 on XE.  I think I will exchange tomorrow.  This is about an 11 year high.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Have you guys living there noticed any increase in prices?  Or are you just enjoying the few extra pesos?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

Have you guys living there noticed any increase in prices?  Or are you just enjoying the few extra pesos?

It is not just a few extra pesos.  I posted about it in another thread:

Prices may have increased nominally but the exchange rate crushes that.  Here is another example.  When I moved here in late 2012 the rate was 41.42.  If I bought a 1 million peso vehicle then, I would have to transfer over $24,142 USD.  Now, at a 51.75 rate, that vehicle would cost me $19323.  I saved $4819.  I track vehicles prices on some vehicles and they have only increased slightly during that time.

Of course, when rates reverse, and they will someday, I will be crying a different tune!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, bows00 said:

Or are you just enjoying the few extra pesos?

Real time example.  I just exchanged $10,000 at BPI and got 51.55.  The total is over 100,000 pesos more than I would have got at 41.42 when I moved here.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Just used my Capital One card for some large purchases for the house. I got 51.73 on the exchange with no exchange fee!:thumbsup:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Just used my Capital One card for some large purchases for the house

Did you check the receipt carefully?  Whenever I have made large purchases for my house using my Capital One card I have noticed a hidden charge of 3 or 4 % on the receipt:  Service charge.  Its what many stores charge for using a credit card to make a large purchase.  Hopefully you did not get hit with that.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

The total is over 100,000 pesos more than I would have got at 41.42 when I moved here.

Good for those from the US but for people like me that only get about 40.19 as of todays rates means that from today every American I talk to can buy my beer. :mocking:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1