Rates Are Up! Get Your Dollars Out From Under The Mattress!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

48.07 mid-market rate on XE.com right now, a new 5 year high.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

48.36 on XE.com right now

chris49
Posted
Posted

This is a rare occasion where the moneychangers are lagging behind. 47.8 has not been adjusted since Friday. They will wait for the opening rate in the US on Monday AM. The new rate will be up after 10 AM tomorrow and they will be slow to put it up.

The AUD has rallied to 36.78.  Over the counter or Forex exchange rates are not so good on other currencies. Still hanging around 35 but might go up a little bit tomorrow.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, chris49 said:

This is a rare occasion where the moneychangers are lagging behind. 47.8 has not been adjusted since Friday. They will wait for the opening rate in the US on Monday AM. The new rate will be up after 10 AM tomorrow and they will be slow to put it up.

Yes, I noticed before, even at BPI, when the rates are extremely volatile, the retailers adjust more gradually.  They don't want to get hit with a losing trade when the rate turns the other way.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

48.10 today at Money Changer Sta Rosa Laguna:SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 26/09/2016 at 4:10 PM, intrepid said:

48.10 today at Money Changer Sta Rosa Laguna:SugarwareZ-005:

Tuesday AM 4th October. And this is important. At around mid day Monday the US rates are adjusted. This is reflected in the Philippines Tuesday AM. But the money changer is slow to make the change. I went in and fell in line with 48.15 showing. At exactly 10 AM they erased 48.15 and put up 48.25.

Now Thursday in the USA. The overnight rate is 48.38. Again if you go in 9 AM you get yesterday's rate. The new rate might be 48.40 or better. They are a bit slow to increase it but eventually they will post it.

As they close on Friday afternoon. They will drop the rate on Sat-Sun-Monday eg 48.40 will be dropped to 48.20. If Monday is a US or Filipino holiday you wont see the new rate until Wednesday.

I am not counting on the USD going higher but it might. If it goes significantly higher that will promote local prices to rise. And they wont come back down. So enjoy a few more pesos but keep it in perspective.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

As good as the US rates are, there are many expats holding off on exchanging.  Expect the dollar to be even higher when the FEDs decide to increase interest rates.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, bows00 said:

As good as the US rates are, there are many expats holding off on exchanging.  Expect the dollar to be even higher when the FEDs decide to increase interest rates.

Depends on the amount. 48.38 overnight Thursday with 48.30 offered at money changer 10 AM Friday. I'm changing enough for a month (obviously). The rate is already eased back for the weekend 48.3...have not checked the money changer. Probably 2 points lower 48 or 48.10.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

48.66 overnight rate 11th-12th October.

If anyone checks the cash rate after 10 AM Weds post it here.

I was out of Vigan so in the more remote areas the petrol/diesel price will be a shade higher. I saw 25.95-30.25 on the signs for diesel. That's up from 22.95-26.95 last week. I take that as a negative indicator and I think commodity prices in the market will edge up over the next 7-10 days.

I will change $2000-$3000 @49 and try to sit on the money (tell it too my wife).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

49.13 on XE right now

• Like 1