Water Shortage?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
this guy just wants to keep the dust down.

Could be the water tanker pumps from a river?

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Could be the water tanker pumps from a river?

In your country or mine, sure.  In this area the rivers and swanps are dry and there are no ponds so he either goes to the mountains for water (possible) or fills it with sea water (a stupid move) or just fills it with ? ?  Just a guess though as he must know where the water is around here.

• Like 1

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

Does anyone capture rain water in tanks from the roofs. I know you need rain to get water, but a 5000gl tank would hold you over for a while.  

I thought about doing this for my hydroponics as a hobby. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Does anyone capture rain water in tanks from the roofs.

At one time I thought the same thing and asked my Brothers in law (educated men lol). Was told "why spend the money for tanks, when" a) water is cheap from water company b) if the water goes down we still have the hand pump from the old days...and when pressed c) got the ole shrug as if to say "keep your American ideas" away from us :thumbsup:

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Does anyone capture rain water in tanks from the roofs. I know you need rain to get water, but a 5000gl tank would hold you over for a while.  

I thought about doing this for my hydroponics as a hobby. 

A few years ago I spent Easter with a family in the hills in the middle of Panay. They had a large house and captured rain water from the roof into a large concrete tank.

At the time I was there the tank was already empty and water had to be pumped by hand and carried from the well in their back garden. I don't think they were expecting rain for a couple more months.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

A house I rented in Liloan, Cebu (6 years ago) was set up for that, but the water in the tank was designed to water the garden and pigs (the British owner had set up a hobby farm on 1,000 sq meters in the city)  The fellow also set up a methane gas distiller but by the time I rented it all the metal was gone (stolen) so all he had left was a big concrete vat.

Bottom line:  None of that stuff gave him a positive return on his investment as he died before he could get his money back and then no one used the rain water collector or the methane distiller.  I know this for a fact because after I moved out the entire place was torn down and turned into a bodega.  Waste of time and money but if the one to build it got pleasure from it then it was all good.

On the bright side, we got a VERY healthy rain last night.  I have a pail outside the door and when it is overflowing in the morning I know we had a healthy rain.  :lol:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Dave since you posted this topic we have had rain everyday in Dalaguete.Are you John Grishams rainmaker?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave since you posted this topic we have had rain everyday in Dalaguete.Are you John Grishams rainmaker?

I forgot to "touch wood"

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Does anyone capture rain water in tanks from the roofs.

At one time I thought the same thing and asked my Brothers in law (educated men lol). Was told "why spend the money for tanks, when" a) water is cheap from water company b) if the water goes down we still have the hand pump from the old days...and when pressed c) got the ole shrug as if to say "keep your American ideas" away from us :thumbsup:

My bro-in-law in Baguio built the ultimate water tank.  Actually it was requested and designed by the "owner" of the property, a Swiss guy who has been a close family friend for almost 30 years now.

Almost everyone in Baguio has water tanks.  The public water system can be spotty and sometimes they need to have the tanks filled by water trucks.  The family team built an apartment building next to the main duplex house and decided to add this water tank, to end their water problems.  And it has.

Their lots are at the top of a ridge.  They dug way down so that half the tank is in the ground and half above.  It is concrete block lined with an appropriate product that is made for this purpose, and safe for drinking water.  It is fed by a drainage system from 3 buildings.  It has a pump system and access to the interior.  On the top, they put a concrete deck, with a roof.  A nice place to enjoy a beer or 2 or 3.

So how much does it hold?  100 cubic meters!  I have no idea how much that is in gallons or litres, but it is a lot!  It filled quickly and so far has stayed full.  Bro-in-law says it could supply Baguio for one day but that might be an exaggeration.  I hope I am not there when the next big earthquake hits!  Actually they went out of their way to built the apartment building and water tank to high earthquake standards, so it could probably take a good hit.

I'll get some pictures of it when we are there in 2 weeks.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
100 square meters! I have no idea how much that is in gallons or litres, but it is a lot!
100 cubic meters?      EACH cubic meter is 1000 litre   > 100 000 litres. That's huge.  

(My well is some less than 20 cubic meters if it would be full, which it's never close to.)

• Like 2