How Do I Find A Real Online Job And Not A Scam?

William Jackson
Posted
Posted

I just retired here from the USA. I was told that I could get a job easy teaching English online. I keep finding the fake scam online jobs. Can anyone point me in the right direction. The internet searches is not helping. Thank you for your time.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welcome William. Picture is small, is that US Army uniforms? Retired dogface myself.

get a job easy teaching English online

About this, are you referring to teaching English online while moving to the Philippines? If so your customers will probably have to be in places other that the Phil. There are many on site places that teach English here, usually with qualified or over qualified instructors. Koreans are make up a large part of the students.

Welcome to the board, if maybe you could flush out your question a bit more, I am sure you will get lots of responses

William Jackson
Posted
Posted

Yes, I was US army. This picture was taken from my last combat tour in Afghanistan, before I received my purple heart. Let me rephrase my question. Can someone recommend places for me to apply for a job?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

There are a very few expats working in Philippines.

For the most part Foreigners are not allowed to work as the government wants only Filipinos to have the few jobs available.

If you have computer connections and special skills in the USA it could be you could work online while living in Philippines. There are some that do OK but I would guess if you had those skills you would already know this.

There are a few Expats who work as English teachers mostly under the table. A very few work in call centers. The pay would be very low the chance to be deported and blacklisted is possible.

So the answer is, "NO". Sorry but Philippines is not a place you can move to and find work to support yourself.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

The only guys I know that are actually making money online are a few that make YouTube videos.  But they work a LOT to get it to pay.  I have looked at some freelance writing places and they did not look very good. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

A couple of sites to visit that may help you out here.

http://www.visahunter.com/articles/how-to-find-a-job-in-the-philippines-as-a-foreigner/

just a little helping hand here.

JP :tiphat:

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
removed blog link per rules
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I know of a handful of expats who are supporting themselves by working in grey areas like teaching on line.  The one thing they all have in common is their subsistence level of wages.  They are competing with filipinos who are smart enough to go on line and do the same thing and when they earn 8,000 pesos a month they are thrilled.  If you can live on $200 a month then try places like Upwork which used to be oDesk.  But you will put in a lot of hours to make that $200 and you will be competing with some smart young filipinos for that work.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Hard to comment with such limited info. One profession here the powers to be seem to have some allowance is scuba. Many expats working here as Instructors and and or dive masters. Particularly helpful if you have a second language.

It's definitely the gray area but I know many working here for several years without problems. Some shops will assist in qualifying you if you agree to stay with them for some period.

Of course one needs to have an aptitude in this area.

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

The first thing to consider is what kind of work do you want to do online... Teaching English? Everybody's grandma and her dig are doing that so it's not one I would really pursue... Unless you speak another language! I have a friend here who teaches English online to Japanese clients. Do you know the Ins and Outs of SEO (Search Engine Optimization)? Several that I know who do the YouTube videos actually make their living contracting out for SEO work. Blogging is fun but, unless you are as popular as the Pope and Katie Perry, you won't make any money at it. Dave mentioned the old ODesk... That was where I got started at my writing... After several articles, I got the chance to ghost write for a supposed author... Turned out I wrote their first book for them. Good thing it really sucked! But I got more requests until I finally ghost wrote a book for one of the top selling authors out there. Contractually I can't mention who it the name of the book but it's easy to figure out... Who published about a zillion books a year lying then add the author along with "John Smith"... John Smith - also usually an alias - is the guy who actually wrote the book. Anyway, I got myself a nice little MacBook, a legit version of Scrivener and, after a freak incident dumped all copies of the several books I had been working on, now have 2 books on the go and 3 more in planning stages... I want to try the independent publishing route through Amazon, Smashwords and maybe one more... Just to see if I can bump out without all the extra fees but I do have a couple publishers keeping in contact with me... So I guess I can say that the indie author might just be the way to go... Oh, and if your interested, by just publishing basic self help books on Kindle? After you do 60 books, it's estimated that your yearly income will be around $40 to $60,000 a year... To keep at the top of the list on Amazon? Just refresh your info... Sometimes just going in and changing " tomato " to "juicy red tomato" is enough to bring your entry back to the top of the list!

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Blogging is fun but, unless you are as popular as the Pope and Katie Perry, you won't make any money at it. Dave mentioned the old ODesk... That was where I got started at my writing... After several articles, I got the chance to ghost write for a supposed author...
Very few earn a normal western salary ore more at writing, but rather many earn some extra. But we don't need a normal western salary to live in Phils  :)

(Recounted to nowadays money value, I have got around:

/100 USD for an essay (funny)

/1400 USD for a section of a handbook  (psychology, mental training)

/Nothing  :)   at a by publisher APROVED digital minibook (effective living).  Of course nothing, because I would get part of the selling, but the publisher demanded 29.99 USD for each such MINIbook. Who want to pay that?!   I told them BEFORE they started, they better ask 9.99, but they didn't listen   :1 (103):

/I have forgot how much I got totaly  (around 40 USD per SHORT article) but I had an assignment 15+ years for a rather big newspaper (sport) before they had to save because of internet... :th_unfair:   :)

/Unclear what the pay was, because it was just a part of a work. Writing website content (computer simulations/strategic games).

(/Writing LEGAL documents to courts and such can be good pay, not much for the writing, but for the thinking. Normaly I ask a percentage of the result compared to what it had been if I hadn't solved it. Last months I have worked hard trying to solve a mess for a client. One HUGE error can't be solved, just reduce the damage, but all the rest I believe I have solved. IF the reduced damage is good, my share can be enough to pay a BIG Filipino style house (20 000 USD.)

So I write in MUCH different styles depending of subject and situation. I don't believe courts would like if I would write to them in my funny type style :lol: