Foreigner Sent To Jail In Dumaguete Court

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Catch me if you can, well they have idiot  :)

Singaporean defrauds PH hotel, gets 4-yr jail term

A Singaporean national who once dared authorities “to catch him if they   can”  has been convicted by a regional trial court in Dumaguete  City for estafa after he was found guilty of non-payment   of fees at a local hotel in 2013.

In a 15-page decision released by the Department of Justice, Judge Rosendo Bandal Jr.   of Dumaguete City RTC-Branch 34, found   Jonathan Lee Seng Tan guilty beyond reasonable doubt of violating Article 315   of the Revised Penal Code.

The judge meted Tan with  a prison term  ranging  from four years and two months to eight years.  

The court also   ordered  Tan to pay Bethel Guest House, a hotel in the city,   the amount of P19,506.52 representing the accommodation, food and   other services he availed of during his stay from August 19 to September   1, but did not pay, plus legal interest of 12 percent per annum until   fully paid.

Currently detained at the Dumaguete city jail, Tan was ordered transferred to the   New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City.

“The willful and deliberate act of the accused in defrauding the hotel   on the payment of his hotel bill is very manifest and evident,” the decision stated.

“It appears obvious that the allegation of the accused that the bag   containing his money and personal belongings were stolen while sitting   in the park is a mere concoction and fabrication on his part,” the court said.

Court records showed that Tan checked into the hotel after claiming he was   robbed of his belongings at Quezon Park. He was assisted by hotel   staff to contact his relatives in Singapore and the Singaporean Embassy so he could replace his stolen passport and settle his   obligations with the hotel.

A hotel staff communicated with Tan’s brother via e-mail, but still no   money was sent to pay for his bill. The accused left the hotel on   Sept.1, 2013 without paying his bill.

During trial, Assistant  City Prosecutor Alvin Aseniero presented as   evidence Tan’s Facebook post where he even boasted his alleged other   criminal activities in La Trinidad and Iloilo City and challenged authorities to “catch me if you can.”

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima hailed Prosecutor Aseniero for successfully prosecuting the case and securing a conviction of the foreigner.

“Let this be a warning to everyone. Our laws are enforced against   anyone who is under our country’s jurisdiction, and foreigners are   definitely not exempted,”  De Lima said  in a statement.

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

this is amazing... A conviction under 5 years.... :1 (103):

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

Wow! for a $500 bill he gets 4+ years in prison and goads on the judicial system.. Like someone's signature line here "You can't fix stupid" or as Jeff Foxworthy would say "Here's your sign"....

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
this is amazing... A conviction under 5 years....

If course we have to Remember the Hotel Owner is a very Big name in Dumaguete who just happens to have a Daughter and Niece at Halls of justice.

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
If course we have to Remember the Hotel Owner is a very Big name in Dumaguete who just happens to have a Daughter and Niece at Halls of justice.

We should also remember that the hotel prides itself on its Christian principles and realize that this is an example of how they 'Do Unto Others'

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I thought the hotel owner wanted the thief sent to prison - so the thief could learn how to turn the other cheek!

;D

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

5 years is a lot of time for what he did but nevertheless, he deserved to be jailed. He may not have to do the entire 5 years and might get out sooner. At least he will be taught a lesson.

I guess it also serves as a notice to anyone who is tempted to commit a crime in the Philippines. I've heard some stories that they serve dog meat. Dogs that have been picked up by Animal Control. Maybe even styrofoam rice now that they found some.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

5 years is a lot of time for what he did but nevertheless, he deserved to be jailed. He may not have to do the entire 5 years and might get out sooner. At least he will be taught a lesson.

I guess it also serves as a notice to anyone who is tempted to commit a crime in the Philippines. I've heard some stories that they serve dog meat. Dogs that have been picked up by Animal Control. Maybe even styrofoam rice now that they found some.

Maybe even styrofoam rice now that they found some.

Hey Gratefuled, you have a morbid sense of humor and I like that!  Where's my triple LIKE button?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

legal note of the accused

Right to Presumption of Innocence (Sec. 14 (2), Art. III)

No person shall be convicted of a crime except upon his confession, or unless his guilt is established by proof beyond reasonable doubt which is more than just a preponderance of evidence sufficient to win in a civil case.

The burden of proof in a criminal proceeding is upon the prosecution.

Its evidence must be strong enough to overturn the presumption of innocence of the accused. In case, there is a reasonable doubt of his guilt, the accused is entitled to an acquittal.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

legal note of the accused

Right to Presumption of Innocence (Sec. 14 (2), Art. III)

No person shall be convicted of a crime except upon his confession, or unless his guilt is established by proof beyond reasonable doubt which is more than just a preponderance of evidence sufficient to win in a civil case.

The burden of proof in a criminal proceeding is upon the prosecution.

Its evidence must be strong enough to overturn the presumption of innocence of the accused. In case, there is a reasonable doubt of his guilt, the accused is entitled to an acquittal.

(If the article tell corect)

it's BOTH   :)    =

Court records showed that Tan checked into the hotel after claiming he was robbed of his belongings at Quezon Park. He was assisted by hotel staff to contact his relatives in Singapore and the Singaporean Embassy so he could replace his stolen passport and settle his obligations with the hotel. A hotel staff communicated with Tan’s brother via e-mail, but still no money was sent to pay for his bill. The accused left the hotel on Sept.1, 2013 without paying his bill. During trial, Assistant City Prosecutor Alvin Aseniero presented as evidence Tan’s Facebook post where he even boasted his alleged other criminal activities in La Trinidad and Iloilo City and challenged authorities to “catch me if you can.
   Similar STUPID as the American in USA wanted pedophile, who said similar at Facebook including posting evidence he did such crimes in Phils too. By that he was found and caught to be send to USA...