A Couple Of Things Filipinos Do Right.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

They say the best ideas are the simplest , how many times have you walked into a house and are taking of your shoes and they say nooooooooooo, dont bother doing that, my answer is well you all are taking them off, could it be my smelly feet, i wonder

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

What do you think?

I think you are one smart feller for listening to your wife  :cheersty:

It does occur to me that she is concerned with tracking animal poop into the house and yet, if she is like most filipinas, she may have no problem with lizards in the house which come out at night and poop and pee everywhere.  I have a cat who seems to keep the lizard population low but I still find little brown lumps and yellow stains on the walls from time to time.

I think the real reason filipinas don't want us wearing shoes in the house is it makes more work for them to clean up after us.  Which is a good enough reason for me.  But its funny they won't say that.  There is always some other reason than the truth, or so it seems to me.

Well Dave, My wife is an RN  and was unit manager at a big hospital here and so I take her advice very serious. I also research what she tells me and I find it to be very accurate.

We do not have a lizard problem inside our home. Many poor Filipinos come down with medical problems because they do not know any better. There is no reason for an educated person to live careless about their health. Yes, it's funny how a simple thing like taking off your shoes upon entering your home can keep the floors clean.

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Lizards are a problem but can also be a great help in the Mosquito problem !!

where we live on the edge of Laguna De Bay the little stinging  mossies seem to love my white skin!!

and they luckily gather  mostly on our CR ceiling !! which has a lift up flap for roof access , which the lizards use to get into the CR

but Lizards = no mossies !! well almost ! we have a Mossie zapper in the living room as well and it amazes me how many it kills as well

the ones you cant see !

Shoes in the House ? thats a big no no !! espec as we have 3 dogs !!

but according to my wife shoes in the house means bad Luck !!

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
She also suggests wearing closed shoes outdoors after it rains. She says that animal urine especially rat urine can cause leptosporosis (spell check). If you step on some with an open cut on your foot, you can become infected. I'm careful about that now, as well.

What do you think?

:thumbsup:    I believe there are more such dangers in tropic countries, which we don't know of.

E g. I don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't suprise me if it is, there are some dangerous parasites (?) which like to get into human bodies through the urethra, if we swim in lakes and such. 

Yes, it's funny how a simple thing like taking off your shoes upon entering your home can keep the floors clean.

Yes. It's remarkable most Americans don't understand that 2015, while NorthEuropeans have known that at least 300 years   :mocking:    (=Old Scandinavian cottages from at least back then had a "pre-cottage" = a vestibule BETWEEN outside and the living space, where people took off outdoor shoes and some switched to slippers. )

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 3

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

She also suggests wearing closed shoes outdoors after it rains. She says that animal urine especially rat urine can cause leptosporosis (spell check). If you step on some with an open cut on your foot, you can become infected. I'm careful about that now, as well.

What do you think?

:thumbsup: I believe there are more such dangers in tropic countries, which we don't know of.

E g. I don't know if it's true, but it wouldn't suprise me if it is, there are some dangerous parasites (?) which like to get into human bodies through the urethra, if we swim in lakes and such.

Yes, it's funny how a simple thing like taking off your shoes upon entering your home can keep the floors clean.

Yes. It's remarkable most Americans don't understand that 2015, while NorthEuropeans have known that at least 300 years :mocking: (=Old Scandinavian cottages from at least back then had a "pre-cottage" = a vestibule BETWEEN outside and the living space, where people took off outdoor shoes and some switched to slippers. )

In the US we used to call the area before we went into the house the "mud room". It was where you were expected to remove your work boots etc. prior to entering the house. We also have what we call "porches" Thomas where the concept is much the same. I'm not sure Northern Europeans and Asians are the only folks who do so. That being said, I prefer to slip into my indoor sandles when I come into the house.

• Like 5

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Yes. It's remarkable most Americans don't understand that 2015, while NorthEuropeans have known that at least 300 years :mocking: (=Old Scandinavian cottages from at least back then had a "pre-cottage" = a vestibule BETWEEN outside and the living space, where people took off outdoor shoes and some switched to slippers. )

In the US we used to call the area before we went into the house the "mud room". It was where you were expected to remove your work boots etc. prior to entering the house. We also have what we call "porches" Thomas where the concept is much the same. I'm not sure Northern Europeans and Asians are the only folks who do so. That being said, I prefer to slip into my indoor sandles when I come into the house.

So you are an exception  :)

In general Asians and NorthEuropeans take off ALL outdoor shoes, not only work boots etc, when we enter a home, while many Americans seem to be suprised of that... :)   I haven't been in USA, but it's common knowledge here that in USA it's normal to NOT take off common outdoor shoes, when entering someone else's home.

I wrote about Asians, North Europeans and Americans, because I don't know how it is elsewhere. 

canadamale
Posted
Posted

When I was growing up in Canada the norm was too take off your shoes when entering someones home, I do the same in Phil. Of course in Canada for 10 months it was winter boots covered in snow and 2 months rubber boots covered in mud. Not to many women want either tracked through there home.

• Like 2

Ynot
Posted
Posted

Yep, its a wise man who listens to the little woman!   I take my shoes off here in Aus, but that is because I have been well trained by my ex who is from Thailand.

• Like 1