Subic Bay

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

I have a few friends that will arrive in January and neither I or them have travelled to Subic Bay. Can someone recommend a good hotel on the beach 4 or 5 star and answer a few questions?

Is the beach and swimming good there or dirty?

Is there much to do in Subic Bay?

What is the diiference between Subic Bay and Subic Freeport, and are they close by?

Thanks

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

Subic Bay, Barretto Beach area is where all the night life and bars are located. Subic Freeport, is more of a residential area, which is really nice for everyday living, but I don't think it would be place I would spend my vacation time - but sure wouldn't mind living there. It is about a 20 minute car ride from Subic Freeport to Barretto beach.

The beach at Barretto, in my opinion, is not that great, but you do see many people in the water doing various activities (i.e., jet skiing, banana boating, etc...). But since I love to swim, I normally stay at the Wild Orchid, since they have the nicest pool in the area. That is my favorite activity when I am there, just play and lounge by the poolside. But let me warn you, for that price ($5799P/Night), it is not the best bargain by far.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
But let me warn you, for that price ($5799P/Night), it is not the best bargain by far.

I would also recommend the Wild Orchid.

I would guess that Bows takes a pool-side room looking at the price he quotes. I usually take a standard room and paid about 3,500 pesos a night the last time I stayed there (this June). I always pay cash since they offer a worthwhile discount for cash.

IMHO the standard rooms are as good as the pool-side rooms and offer more privacy. However the standard rooms come in two sizes, unusually large and rather small. Try and make sure you get a large room (the price is the same).

The other hotel you might consider is the "hotel previously called Sheavens", I can't remember the new name but there was a post about the name change a few weeks ago. A nice hotel with a semi-private beach but two drawbacks as far as I'm concerned. The pool is rather rather small and the rooms open onto galleries which means you get little privacy.

Baloy Long Beach is not bad, certainly good for a romantic sunset walk followed by a sundowner. Lot's of people do swim but I wouldn't like to guarantee the water quality. Probably about the same as the average English resort in the 1960s and 1970s.

Plenty of night-life ranging across the whole spectrum from ultra-rowdy to very quiet, all within easy walking distance.

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I have a few friends that will arrive in January and neither I or them have travelled to Subic Bay. Can someone recommend a good hotel on the beach 4 or 5 star and answer a few questions?

Is the beach and swimming good there or dirty?

Is there much to do in Subic Bay?

What is the diiference between Subic Bay and Subic Freeport, and are they close by?

Thanks

Look at Google maps to get the lay out.  Towards the north end of the bay on the map you will see Baloy Beach and this is the area where Wild Orchid and Sheavens are, in Barrio Baretto.  This is walking distance or trike ride up to the main road where the "entertainment" district is, if you and your friends are interested.

The freeport is south of there.  If you see Harbor Point (mall) on the map, that is in the Northern part of the freeport, which is the old U.S. Navy base.  It is huge and extends all the way south to the Ocean Adventure / Zoobic Safari area.  In the freeport, if you zoom in on the Harbor Point area, you will see Waterfront Road.  There are a lot of bars and restos in that area, with a few that probably lean towards "entertainment", but I don't know for sure.  The freeport is very safe compared to other areas of the Philippines, but of course watch your wallet.  The freeport is not really a residential area but there are 3 nice subdivisions up in the hills that are former Navy housing.

Adjacent to Harbor Point is Olongapo City proper, with local shopping, bars, etc.  Should be fairly safe.  Watch out for the transgenders like the one that got the young U.S. Marine in trouble last year!

IMHO, the nicest beach is Camayan to the far south.  It has a hotel and is adjacent to Ocean Adventure.  We have an annual membership there.  When there is good weather the water is clear and the snorkeling is decent.  I don't recommend going there on a holiday weekend though.  The hotel rooms are ok.  Probably 3 star at the most.  We enjoy free entrance to Ocean Adventure with our membership.

The other areas of the bay are not great for swimming.  People swim at Baloy but it is not attractive to me.  In the Freeport on Waterfront road, no swimming is allowed.  You can jetski, etc.

Trip Advisor can tell you about the nicer hotels and attractions.  I live here so I have not stayed in any recently, except for Camayan.  We get a free room night with our membership.

• Like 2

Mike In Canada
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your replies and help.

jon1
Posted
Posted

To add on to what OnMyWay put out. The water flow in the bay is counter clockwise. So Camayan beach is gonna be your best bet for cleaner safer water to swim in. As it is before the influx of all of the flotsam and jetsome from Olongapo. Barrio Barretto and the Subic Freeport Beach are on the output side of that stuff. 

• Like 2