Dating Website Is Not So Secure

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Must be a lot of worried members on this website

(Reuters) - Hackers claim to have personal details of more than 37 million cheating spouses on dating website Ashley Madison and have threatened to release nude photos and sexual fantasies of the site's clients unless it is shut down, blog KrebsOnSecurity reported.
Ashley Madison's Canadian parent, Avid Life Media, confirmed the breach on its systems and said it had since secured its site and was working with law enforcement agencies to try to trace those behind the attack.
The hackers, who call themselves The Impact Team, leaked snippets of the compromised data online and warned they would release customers' real names, profiles, nude photos, credit card details and "secret sexual fantasies" unless their demands were met, Krebs said.
Avid Life did not disclose what information was stolen.
The hackers demanded the closure of another of Avid Life Media's sites, sugar-daddy site "Established Men", but did not target the company's "CougarLife" site, which caters for women members looking for "a young stud".
Ashley Madison, which uses the slogan "Life is short. Have an affair", has been planning to raise up to $200 million through an initial public offering on the London Stock Exchange.
"We apologize for this unprovoked and criminal intrusion into our customers' information," Avid Life said, adding that the hackers left behind posts and images on the website detailing their demands. The unauthorized posts have since been removed.
The breach comes about two months after dating site Adult FriendFinder was compromised. That site has an estimated 64 million members.
The Impact Team, in a screengrab showing on the Krebs blog, say it had taken over Avid Media systems including customer databases, source code, financial records and emails.

"Shutting down AM (Ashley Madison) and EM (Established Men) will cost you, but non-compliance will cost you more," the hackers said.
They said users who had paid a fee to Avid Life to have their personal data permanently deleted had been lied to and the company had retained records, including credit card information.
(Reporting by Abhiram Nandakumar in Bengaluru; Editing by Rodney Joyce)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
credit card details

Thats the bad one.  I would find it amusing to see the antics of those 'caught on cam' and getting their "real names, profiles, nude photos, . . .  and "secret sexual fantasies" released.  We have that program in some parts of Canada for those caught negotiating the services of a prostitute.  Its a fair tactic up until the credit card details.  Thats where they go too far and will lose all public support, IMHO.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

I would not be surprise if powerful politicians, judges, CEO's and priests are among the most prolific customers.  Their little black book will be exposed for all the world to see.  

Life is too short, have an affair or two.......

• Like 5

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maybe the above site might find a drop in customer's right now :mocking:

Ok who moved the advert! :no:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​They're cutting in on my e-business, it's called:

DO YOU HAVE PICTURES OF YOUR WIFE NAKED.

Want to buy some?

:nudie:  :dance: 

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Must be a lot of worried members on this website......

The hackers demanded the closure of another of Avid Life Media's sites, sugar-daddy site "Established Men", but did not target the company's "CougarLife" site, which caters for women members looking for "a young stud".

Oh boy.....thank god I was a bit ambiguous on my personal profile on Cougar Life website.  I described myself as straight and narrow with dimension of a 2' X 4'.  The ladies were looking for a young stud but so far, no takers yet.  I was even honest about myself on Established Men -- yes, I am a daddy but without the sugar.  No takers on that one either.  

I get no respect sometimes......

• Like 2

cyberbro
Posted
Posted

Don't you just love the new era we all live in. lol this is real I heard the story as well it's just so insane the whole thing.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
37 million cheating spouses on dating website Ashley Madison
I

Perhaps it is my rose colored glasses, but I find this number to be incredibly disturbing.  A sad commentary on the state of marital fidelity in today's "me first" world.  I expect there will be a lot of people losing sleep for awhile.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Extra marital affairs are very common in most countries.

The only reason more American men do not cheat is because of their fear of getting caught and a messy divorce. Spousal support, Child support, division of property, attorney fees, court costs. It can all add up very quickly. I've seen it happen to many men, co-workers, casual acquaintences, and news articles.

I am not an exception or maybe I am because even tho I am tempted, I have self control. I'm married now after many years being a single dad with many flings. Maybe I'm burnt out. ( smile )

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Extra marital affairs are very common in most countries.

Just for fun more than anything I guess I came across this snippet that says a lot to me. :) some countries there that surprised me. The UK does not however surprise me :no: now something will no doubt be said that 3 out of the 4 Scandinavian countries are there so I wonder what holds Sweden back?  :mocking:

http://www.statista.com/chart/3238/the-worlds-most-adulterous-countries/

The only reason more American men do not cheat is because of their fear of getting caught and a messy divorce. Spousal support, Child support, division of property, attorney fees, court costs. It can all add up very quickly.

As you will see the US is not in the top 10 so this would make Gratefuled on target for the reason I hazard a guess. :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

• Like 2