How Many Copies Of Birth/marriage Certificates, Etc. Should I Bring?

strap
Posted
Posted
In preparation for our move to Philippines next year, I thought I'd go ahead and order some certified copies of my US birth certificate, our US marriage certificate, and my DD 214. And we'll order some copies of my wife's NSO birth certificate from the Phiippines.

I don't know specifically what we'll need these documents for once we get there, but how many copies of each do you think we should order? Is 5 copies enough? too many? When you do have to submit documents for whatever in the Philippines, do they normally return them?

I'd like to get enough copies now to last...a long time, rather than try to deal with the hassle and delays of ordering more copies from the states once we're over there.

Also, I understand you need to get documents like these certified or validated at a Philippine consulate here in the states. Is that a simple matter of showing up at the front desk of the consulate with a stack of certified birth certificates, etc and having them stamp them, or is it a little more inolved than that?  (I suspect it's a little more involved. :))

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

at least 5 copies on hand should suffice,, and have a few in safekeeping back in the home country,

I never needed my BIRTH CERTIFICATE to be  ""STAMPED:" but,, as we know, seems to have different rules for different procedures .

when I do leave this beautiful well loved country (note the sarcasm ))  I plan to take at least 10 copies of my children's NSO and the mothers CENMOR 4 copy so i have enough that I hope i will ever have to order again,

here 140-160 order outside the RP i believe $20 and then thats postal mail sent..

i have heard of horror stories if NSO being locked or unavailable at a later date,

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

In preparation for our move to Philippines next year, I thought I'd go ahead and order some certified copies of my US birth certificate, our US marriage certificate, and my DD 214. And we'll order some copies of my wife's NSO birth certificate from the Phiippines.

I don't know specifically what we'll need these documents for once we get there, but how many copies of each do you think we should order? Is 5 copies enough? too many? When you do have to submit documents for whatever in the Philippines, do they normally return them?

I'd like to get enough copies now to last...a long time, rather than try to deal with the hassle and delays of ordering more copies from the states once we're over there.

Also, I understand you need to get documents like these certified or validated at a Philippine consulate here in the states. Is that a simple matter of showing up at the front desk of the consulate with a stack of certified birth certificates, etc and having them stamp them, or is it a little more inolved than that?  (I suspect it's a little more involved. :))

More than 2 originals would be an overkill.  An original document is usually viewed and they take a photocopy in any situation I know of.

In my case the DD 214 was important. For the 10 years I have been here I have managed with one original copy. Of course there's a chance of damage but I was ok with a single copy.

The NSO Birth Certificate is important here. But the NSO does have sub offices in most towns if additional copies are needed. Same with the marriage cert if that applies to you.

I do not actually see why you would need to have original docs validated by the Philippines consulate in USA, perhaps someone else could explain that.

As for a born American, the passport is accepted in lieu of the birth cert in every situation I could think of.

Short answer therefore: 5 original copies is too many, I feel 2 is enough.

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I don't know if any official bother about the stamp DATE of any of THESE,

but SOME documents have to be "fresh" enough.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Sorry Thomas but tonight you are killing me!

I am 67 is my Birth Certificate fresh enough.

OK! OK! I get the Picture. I'm Gone.post-2148-0-74965600-1437822879.jpg

JP  :rolleyes:  :tiphat:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Sorry Thomas but tonight you are killing me!

I am 67 is my Birth Certificate fresh enough.

OK! OK! I get the Picture. I'm Gone.attachicon.gifclose the door.jpg

JP  :rolleyes:  :tiphat:

I have never encountered a need for my birth certificate here in the Phils.  Passport is king.  My birth certificate is the original one given to me by my mother and is 58 years old, same as me!  Still in good condition!

• Like 1