Trying To Plan A Purposeful Retirement

bows00
Posted
Posted

Recently I viewed a video where a popular YouTube expat emphasized the need to have some kind of purpose when retiring in the Philippines. The main message was that after a few months go by; you set your roots and the “honeymoon phase” wears off, the Philippines could become a very boring place if you don’t have something that keeps you busy; something that drives you and provides a sense of self-worth. The video emphasized the need to have personal activities that will consume you; activities you can do by yourself, since there will be a lot of time you will be spending alone since most Filipino’ s are doing their own thing and are not looking to reach out for foreign company – unless they need something from you.

Without such activities, it would be so easy to get into the habit of drinking your life away. Especially for me, since I do love my San Miguel’s. And I have personally witnessed numerous expats pissing their life away by drinking from the wee hours of the morning.

And this thread does not consider the need for a job, especially in the Philippines. If you are counting on a job to fulfill your time, then in my opinion, you have a bigger problem and I wouldn’t consider that to be a fulfilling retirement either. I am aware of the difficulties involved in making money in the Philippines.

Determining my post retirement activities were quite challenging and required a bit of soul searching, and I still have my doubts. However, I am considering attending an accredited college, on a part time basis to pursue a business degree. I have always knack for finance but schooling would be for purposes of pleasure only (I have been an engineer all my life and don’t need more stress during retirement). I was considering Silliman University in Dumaguate.

Based on your opinions, do you think I would feel totally out of place? Reverting back to the college crowd? Would I be considered a total outcast? – being even older than most of the instructors there?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

hi there just my humble opinion but as the saying goes " life is what you make it "

my first visit to the Philippines in 2002 was a bit of a culture shock ! ok my wife told me a lot of what to expect, but seeing armed guards

with sometime machine guns in every store was needless to say a big surprise, now of course i am used to it.

me and my princess are both retired and she is the reason I settled in the philippines.

yes it can sometimes become lonely espec as now the mother in law is ill in Hospital and my wife and her sister take turns from 5pm until 6am when a helper takes over, so I am alone at night after 7pm, but I do a lot of computer browsing and chatting with my family back in the UK.

The Philippines is a lovely country although we havent travelled much in the last 2 years.

But then again I live on the edge of Laguna de Bay with lovely views, we are only 30 mins away from SM Calamba.

and for me I still havent spent a lot of time in the larger malls !

Your reasons for coming to the Philippines are different to mine I came here because of Love !

not sure your working ideas will work but I am sure you will getting a lot of advice from other members on this site.

Bob

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Philippines could become a very boring place if you don’t have something that keeps you busy; something that drives you and provides a sense of self-worth.

There are possibly many things to do that keep you busy and provides a self worth but they depend on what your interest are.

*Work for free in different charity organisations such as children's homes or get involved in fundraising for the people who need it.

*Look into what you could do in volunteer organisations like the ERUF, Chinese fire brigade or the numerous volunteer firefighter and medical units. I don't mean you have to be out their hosing fires but perhaps once again fund raising or wherever you can fit in. There are many medical missions to the provinces etc that you may be able to help out with.

*Become a forum moderator

*Teach english for free or help out at a school.

*Make videos documenting your new life as an expat.

Must be many other things and hopefully members might chime in here.

Based on your opinions, do you think I would feel totally out of place? Reverting back to the college crowd? Would I be considered a total outcast? – being even older than most of the instructors there?

Not sure other than a sense of achievement at the end of what the purpose would be. No point looking at a degree hanging on the wall if you're not going to do something with what you know? Anyway to answer your question I think it was last year a woman in her 90s finished her diploma or somthing attending UNI in the Philippines so I don't think you will be out of place, might be a novelty for some. 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Hello Bows,

Yes, the Philippines is a very boring place compared to Hawaii or California, where my home is. I'm stuck here for a while and I've mentioned it before. I don't drink booze. I prefer coffee but not all day long. I drink ice tea or a blended fruit drink but that's neither here nor there.

I've made friends with some neighbors here. I taught them how to play Dominoes and Rummy. I have 3 kinds of Monopoly that my wife's 14 year old son and his friends and I play on weekends. I have a Chess set that I play with him but I'm not too good at it and consequently, I get my butt kicked most of the time.

I do about an hour on the treadmill early mornings before it gets too hot. I hate the heat and humidity. I'm indoors most of the time either at home or at a mall. Occasionally, I play Bingo at one of the parlors at one of the malls. I've met some interesting people there. Oh, I almost forgot, I play Scrabble online when I'm not checking out what's going on here with the expats. Mornings, I check my email while watching a MLB game on tv or the current golf tournament. I've been watching the female  golfers compete in the British Open. No current tennis tournament going on. Not a fan of soccer or rugby or pool or darts.

I probably left a lot out but there's enough to keep me busy and keep me from getting bored here. Then, there's the local beach. Paradise Island is a great local place for just about anytime of the year. My wife likes to swim at night. The food is great too and they have cottages for rent.

How's that for keeping busy? I still miss home in So Cal.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Bows......good topic and one that should be revisited often and giving some serious soul searching before moving here.

This is just my opinion, and one I have submitted before. Expats like ourselves are really pretty thin on the ground so with the exception of this type of virtual communication I rarely run into a fellow expat. And unlike things in our home countries transportation and traffic being what they are its just not a matter of jumping in the car and running over to visit a buddy. I see expats often in the local SM mall but for some reason we all seem wary of each other. We are always polite and nod or even say "hi, how ya doing?" but have never really stuck up a conversation. (it might just be me).

I maintain that if a guy is that type that likes to drop by on the way home from work at his local bar for a brew a game of pool and a gossip. Or really looks forward to the Sunday morning football games at a buddies house with the guys. He might not be happy here. I believe that a guy really has to be comfortable in his own skin. But again this is just my opinion.

About the education thing? I was eligible for the post 9-11 GI bill, and looked into making some extra cash by going to one of the culinary schools or maybe a computer class (yes there are a bunch that are accredited by the US military. But when I checked them out I figured I really didn't want to wear a school uniform at the age of 57. Turns out that most are trade schools getting folks ready for work as OFW's. Just so you know, with the exception of the major universities the vast majority of the "higher" education establishments are for profit organizations.

good topic :cheersty:

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Recently I viewed a video where a popular YouTube expat emphasized the need to have some kind of purpose when retiring in the Philippines. The main message was that after a few months go by; you set your roots and the “honeymoon phase” wears off, the Philippines could become a very boring place if you don’t have something that keeps you busy; something that drives you and provides a sense of self-worth. The video emphasized the need to have personal activities that will consume you; activities you can do by yourself, since there will be a lot of time you will be spending alone since most Filipino’ s are doing their own thing and are not looking to reach out for foreign company – unless they need something from you.

Without such activities, it would be so easy to get into the habit of drinking your life away. Especially for me, since I do love my San Miguel’s. And I have personally witnessed numerous expats pissing their life away by drinking from the wee hours of the morning.

And this thread does not consider the need for a job, especially in the Philippines. If you are counting on a job to fulfill your time, then in my opinion, you have a bigger problem and I wouldn’t consider that to be a fulfilling retirement either. I am aware of the difficulties involved in making money in the Philippines.

Determining my post retirement activities were quite challenging and required a bit of soul searching, and I still have my doubts. However, I am considering attending an accredited college, on a part time basis to pursue a business degree. I have always knack for finance but schooling would be for purposes of pleasure only (I have been an engineer all my life and don’t need more stress during retirement). I was considering Silliman University in Dumaguate.

Yes you would after the novelty wears off and don't discount any reaction from the partner. Jealousy I would think.

Kids in the province easily converse in their own dialect. What do they speak down there, Cebuano or Bisayan? Although they do speak English and would speak English to you, they would definitely prefer to speak to each other in their own dialect.

With your level of education you could maybe teach some English on a volunteer basis. Maybe in conjunction with a High School. And I would also try to really formally learn Tagalog and little bits of the local dialect. Tagalog is easier.

I have never felt bored btw in 9 almost 10 years. I have my sports and my training programs. I have also been involved in house construction and farming. Drinking? Right now just a very rare bottle, although I do love my cold beers, I have been off it recently.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
And this thread does not consider the need for a job, especially in the Philippines. If you are counting on a job to fulfill your time, then in my opinion, you have a bigger problem and I wouldn’t consider that to be a fulfilling retirement either. I am aware of the difficulties involved in making money in the Philippines. Determining my post retirement activities were quite challenging and required a bit of soul searching, and I still have my doubts.
I will start a business, although I DON'T need it to keep me occupied, but to try to solve work and income for wife and kids when I'm gone, and an "aid" to the locals by adding some jobs (and buy their raw material if I will start such type of business.)

It will be much to do learning a bit of the local language and culture.

I have said in some other topics,

If anyone are short of hobbies, you can get some of mine  :) 

because I don't have time for all of them even if I don't work anything.

Most of my hobbies cost to buy equipment, but (almost) NOTHING TO USE, so they are very cheap in the long run.  E g:

Table tennis

Investigate nature

Reading. Both books and at internet (both novels and educational)

Writing

A small sail boat

Genealogy  (=find your ancestors. Nowadays can much such be found at internet.)

Play games with kids and friends. (Boule, monopoly, crocket...)

Computer games (strategic type)

Billiard

Compose music. Play music instruments. (But this I haven't had time to do in many years. I have a keyboard and an electric guitar, which I would like to use much more.)

Canoe...

If I get time I think of coaching a sport team again, starting with kids and follow them until they become stars   :)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I am not there but i am always planning what i could do,

Photography is my enjoyment, i am not great at it but i do enjoy it, thats one of my plans, touring , looking for a place to call home whether its in the mountains around Laguna or on the islands like Bohol, and building it too

Growing my own food,

Just chilling , no stress, just enjoying the day,yes i may get bored but then again i may not,

I am not a drinker, yes a cool beer here and there is welcome sometimes, but give me a cup of tea anytime even a coffee

I dont want to have stress but planing to work or to start a business is a big NO NO for me, yes some may say what i am planning is stressful but each to there own , just enjoy it

• Like 3