New Bank Credit Cards With Contactless Payment Facility

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

hi there my wife has just received her new credit card from a well known Philippines bank,

it has a Contactless chip !

if your cards have these BEWARE !! as its reported in the UK that people are actually standing outside large stores and supermarkets with a new kind of scanner that registers your card and details as you walk past !!

And yes they have already cost the banks millions in fake sales etc.

if you have one of these cards keep it covered with something metal !! such as foil or a thin metal casing !!

you have been warned !!

Mike S
Posted
Posted

hi there my wife has just received her new credit card from a well known Philippines bank,

if your cards have these BEWARE !! as its reported in the UK that people are actually standing outside large stores and supermarkets with a new kind of scanner that registers your card and details as you walk past !!

if you have one of these cards keep it covered with something metal !! such as foil or a thin metal casing !!

you have been warned !!

Does this include debit cards ......

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

you have been warned !!

if has a wifi symbal then yes it most likely does !

bows00
Posted
Posted

A lot of wallets now have ID Lock Protective Lining that blocks scanning.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

We've had "Pay Wave" for a couple of years in Australia now.  Much ado about nothing with regards to scanning your pocket etc..  $100 dollar maximum on each transaction and your bank takes total liability in the rare case there is fraud. The only downside is that it takes longer than an average credit card transaction to reconcile so rather than 1-2 days it's 3-4 days even on a debit card so your available balance vs your actual is out of whack for longer.  

Having said that, when I was still managing the adult store here on the Gold Coast (yes, new people, it was one of my many vocations since leaving the navy), we didn't have "Pay Wave" for the first 2 years or so that it was implemented.  We'd get a few in every week that had found/stolen a card, bring goods to the counter up to $100 only to find they couldn't use that service and has to either use a PIN or show Photo ID matching the card to sign (Australia did away with signing about 12 months ago so it's no longer relevant i.e. you can no longer do it).  Of course we'd tell them to leave and the excuses were generally "It's my bf/gf card let me go outside and ring him/her (never to be seen again), I forgot my PIN" blah blah blah.  

Other than the lag time, it's actually really convenient.  I think the only thing that annoys me about it is that the banks here have the temerity to charge for the protective sleeve that will protect the card from scanning despite the fact you don't have the option anymore as to whether or not you want the facility or not.  

It's working fine, and as previously stated the banks wear the loss no questions asked generally speaking in the event of fraud.  There was talk of upping the limit to $500/transaction here but that was squashed pretty quickly.  

I guess the only thing I can  equate it to is the fact personal cheques in Aust have not been used for years other than for business purposes but they're still quite prevalent in in North America.  It took time for the paradigm to change but here but we've been there for about 20 years now.  I.e. you'll get used to it over time.  Anyone else remember when EFTPOS at the point of sale was the devil back in the early 90's?

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

It's the old Douglas Adams thing - "Anything invented before you're born is just ho-hum normal, anything invented before you're 18 is revolutionary and anything invented after you're 35 is just not right".

• Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Some payment processors (PayPal, f'rinstance) are moving towards this:

After October, if you swipe a card instead of using the EMV, the liability for fraudulent purchases rests on the MERCHANT, not the card issuer.

If you're doing business with credit/debit card users, keep it in mind.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Speaking of Paypal ..... I read somewhere that they have now or will soon buy out Xoom .....

https://twitter.com/applenws/status/616395512992808960.................... now the fun begins ... JMHO

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

you have been warned !!

if has a wifi symbal then yes it most likely does !

The "WiFi" symbol is only used on VISA cards. Those affiliated to Mastercard will include the "PayPass" logo. Currently you do not need to enter a PIN for amounts of up to Php2,000 and some banks are already making the responsibility for fraudulent use to the merchant: no point in bleating to your bank, they won't be interested and they won't refund you in such cases. I'm reliably informed that the Central Bank is under pressure to increase the PIN-less limit to Php10,000.

These new cards all use 'Near Field Communication' ("NFC") circuitry which is an extension of your (e-)Passport's RFID chip. But unlike RFID, many "Faraday Cage" wallets do NOT protect NFC-chipped cards from being skimmed. Wrapping the card in at least two layers of commercial grade (ie thicker than normal) aluminium foil should defeat most skimmers.

Newer cards issued by the banks here also include 'Chip and PIN' and soon signing credit card slips will be a thing of the past. 

Edited by Markham
  • Like 1

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

Speaking of Paypal ..... I read somewhere that they have now or will soon buy out Xoom .....

https://twitter.com/applenws/status/616395512992808960.................... now the fun begins ... JMHO

Yep, it's a done deal: http://fortune.com/2015/07/01/paypal-acquires-money-transfer-firm-xoom-for-890-million/