What Goes On In The Civil Court When Married?

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Howdy folks!

I am 60 years old and have not gotten married before..

To me, I consider it as a formality that as long as it's done, I really don't care how and what? The main thing is, we got married so who cares? If it's going to take 5 minutes, why all any hooplas?

However, I understand Filipinoes consider this as a very important day and I am sure there is so many traditions that I have to follow, about it so, I chose (my Filipina gf agreed too) to have it in a civil court and NOT in the church.

She has no family and pretty much nobody to attend it. Which suites me just fine!

The two witnesses that we found were from the court employees itself. Worst come to worst, I hire a couple!

The thing is, I have no clue what goes on in the civil court? I did hand them my NSO marriage licence and I think we supposed to provide a date for this to take place. Other than that, I have no clue what's mandatory and what's not?

I think I have to provide two rings, right?

Should we dress up or something? Or how would this whole thing will work?

Not really sure what to get ready for ? :)

Now, you can shoot me ... for not knowing ... or may be ignorance! :)

I appreciate your replies!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Welcome

My now wife and I got married in the Cebu capitol building or was it the court house. Anyway nothing much to it and informal. Will continue later as busy at  the moment.    :cheersty:

Added

Before I forget you need some peso coins for the ceremony, sort of like a token or is it payment for a new wife, damn memory going here.   :unsure:

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

my wife and I got married in a local Hotel ! and we were married by the local mayor !

simple ceremony , wedding vows, exchange of rings and the prouncement of man and wife !

The bride wore white and I as most of the male guests including the mayor wore the Barong Tagalog.

Hardest part was all the paperwork both in the UK and here in the philippines.

But its about seeing that smile on her face isnt it ?

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

We got married in the office of a judge. There were other couples getting married the same day. It was kinda crowded but each couple got married when their turn came. A photographer was present taking pictures of each couple during their vows. All very simple.

I wore a male Filipino Sarong ( spell check ) wife wore a simple white wedding dress. Lunch at my favorite Italian restaurant, La Toscana for our wedding guests. Later we had desserts at our home for all.

It's all up to you. As simple or extravagant as you want. Good Luck and a long happy successful marriage. Sincerely.

Mabuhay

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

What goes on? The ball and chain are firmly attached to your ankle. :dance:

We got married in the states so no help here..oh welcome to the forum. :cheersty:

• Like 1

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Hey Scott. At 60, does the chain matter? It matters when you are younger :)

Also, thanks for all but I really need some details of the event. In all of my life, I never spent alot on things that could take ay be an hour. However, this one seems to break my rules even though it's (I think) is stupid to spend a fortune on something that won't last or used? Fpr example. I don't envision myself (or most of you) to wear a barong most of the year so, why buy one? :)

Besides, I intend to do a DCF and take the wife back to the US!

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well J and I got married in a wine shop .... yup .... the judge met us there and we all had dinner when it was over .... paid him his fee and paid for the dinner of course ..... my god how it was raining when we left ..... the poor doorman ran around out in the rain to try and find us a taxi for almost 1 hour ..... we finally gave up ... gave him a decent tip for his trouble and took a jeepney .....

• Like 2

Ynot
Posted
Posted

i have yet to get married, but I imagine your gf soon to be wife would like some input because remember, its not all about you!  So talk to her, even though the ceremony is going to be simple, she may like you in a sarong and she may like a picture of you and her being married and she may like to wear a nice white wedding dress, its not just your day but hers as well, so talk to her and see what she wants.  Perhaps you will have to buy that sarong even though you are going to wear it only once in your life!  :)

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Well My friend, from what I gather you lads from the US have to do some proving on things for a visa for your Wife So to get it right lets, as mentioned, it your Wife's day Too so have some Decent Photos and Memories of that Special day Because as  you are Marrying in the PI it will most Definitely be the last time either of you are going to get married.

JP :thumbsup:  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think I have to provide two rings, right? Should we dress up or something? Or how would this whole thing will work? Not really sure what to get ready for ?

In my case a judge performed the ceremony in his chambers. Up to you how you dress but neat and tidy,long pants for you is all that is required. Once you are called in with your two witnesses the judge will read something and you and her will repeat it back. I never had a ring so I guess that's where the peso coins were included into the ceremony. One part that I was supposed to repeat I did not hear the judge well so mumbled something instead  :)  Different celebrants might do things differently but generally you take an oath, sign the papers. The judge and witness sign too and that's about it. Then you leave and do whatever you want.  :bedtime2:

If your fiancee is under 25 she must attend pre marriage counseling. There is a wait of I think 2 weeks after the application for a marriage licence as it is advertised for any objections.

post-1-0-63512900-1438411548_thumb.jpg

• Like 2