Extending Visa At A Different Office

tothevictor
Posted
Posted

The provincial BOI offices don't (as a rule) offer six month extensions. 2 months at a time is really arduous, it's just outright annoying. So I've hatched a plan. I plan to go and process my six month extension in Manila. I'm pretty happy with the costs, as I understand it worst case scenario is only about 12k .My question is are they going to question me as to why I am extending in Manila with a registered address elsewhere in the Philippines. I doubt it will be a problem but I just thought I'd ask the question incase anyone else has tried it. The question I'd really like to ask them is: If you can do it in Manila, Cebu and Davao then why the heck can't you do it in San Fernando or Baguio - but in my experience of the Philippines these questions generally go unanswered.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
but in my experience of the Philippines these questions generally go unanswered.

Yep as of about a month ago this is a list of what each office can do. 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/DirectoryOfTransactions/Directory2015June.pdf

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

They will not question you.

But in Manila as opposed to the provincial offices, you get your passport back 3-4 hours later. EG if you go in at 9 AM, process by 9 30, the pick up time s 1 PM. If it's 11 AM, then 3 PM and as you pay your fee they tell you the time of pick up. Therefore don't go late afternoon, the pick up time would be the following day.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

The provincial BOI offices don't (as a rule) offer six month extensions. 2 months at a time is really arduous, it's just outright annoying. So I've hatched a plan. I plan to go and process my six month extension in Manila. I'm pretty happy with the costs, as I understand it worst case scenario is only about 12k .My question is are they going to question me as to why I am extending in Manila with a registered address elsewhere in the Philippines. I doubt it will be a problem but I just thought I'd ask the question incase anyone else has tried it. The question I'd really like to ask them is: If you can do it in Manila, Cebu and Davao then why the heck can't you do it in San Fernando or Baguio - but in my experience of the Philippines these questions generally go unanswered.

Have you tried asking questions on the BI Facebook page?  I never have but they seem to answer a lot there.

If convenient, you should probably always stop by the local office and check what their latest status is before making a big trip to Manila.  Our small BI here in Olongapo is not busy and it is very easy to pop in and ask a question.

As Chris said, Manila will do everything and they don't care where you live.  I have done 3 six month extensions there and I live in Subic.  They have been quick for me and didn't take nearly as long as the times Chris mentioned.  Of course, your mileage will vary.  I think the first two times I was in and out in a few hours (I might have a post about that somewhere).  Just enought time to go to Starbucks across the street for a coffee and a bite.  The last time I had a new passport and there was a bunch of time to take care of that and something else I screwed up.  After that mess, I finally turned in the app and passport at 1625 pm and they had it back to me at like 5:15 pm.  That was a nice ending to a long day!  There is a sign that says last acceptance at 4:30 pm and I think that means for same day return.  I might be wrong.

Your extension will not be that much.  It will be higher if you have to get an ACR card but my highest cost was less than 10k.  You can see my costs here:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17940-visa-costs/?p=146785

tothevictor
Posted
Posted

but in my experience of the Philippines these questions generally go unanswered.

Yep as of about a month ago this is a list of what each office can do. 

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/DirectoryOfTransactions/Directory2015June.pdf

That's a great find, thanks for that JGF. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

They will not question you.

But in Manila as opposed to the provincial offices, you get your passport back 3-4 hours later. EG if you go in at 9 AM, process by 9 30, the pick up time s 1 PM. If it's 11 AM, then 3 PM and as you pay your fee they tell you the time of pick up. Therefore don't go late afternoon, the pick up time would be the following day.

Okay. Every time I extended in Baguio they kept the passport overnight, in San Fernando it takes like 20 minutes. I had expected there to be a longer wait in Manila anyway. My driver has an SPA so I'll probably just have him drop at a "refreshment station" so I can "refresh myself" while he goes and waits in line. My ACR is valid for another 8 months so that should not be an issue. 

Have you tried asking questions on the BI Facebook page?  I never have but they seem to answer a lot there.

If convenient, you should probably always stop by the local office and check what their latest status is before making a big trip to Manila.  Our small BI here in Olongapo is not busy and it is very easy to pop in and ask a question.

As Chris said, Manila will do everything and they don't care where you live.  I have done 3 six month extensions there and I live in Subic.  They have been quick for me and didn't take nearly as long as the times Chris mentioned.  Of course, your mileage will vary.  I think the first two times I was in and out in a few hours (I might have a post about that somewhere).  Just enought time to go to Starbucks across the street for a coffee and a bite.  The last time I had a new passport and there was a bunch of time to take care of that and something else I screwed up.  After that mess, I finally turned in the app and passport at 1625 pm and they had it back to me at like 5:15 pm.  That was a nice ending to a long day!  There is a sign that says last acceptance at 4:30 pm and I think that means for same day return.  I might be wrong.

Your extension will not be that much.  It will be higher if you have to get an ACR card but my highest cost was less than 10k.  You can see my costs here:

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/17940-visa-costs/?p=146785

Thanks for the extremely in depth response. So as long as I give him 10k, my passport and the filled out form, have him drop me off somewhere about 10am I'm guessing (as long as nothing goes wrong) we should be cooked by about 3pm. 

Thanks very much for clearing this lot up guys, much appreciated.

Petey
Posted
Posted

I use to go to Intramorus for my Visa update, and then found out that Taytay Rizal had an office that could also do extensions. They do not care where your update was done, as long as its done. Intramorus would take about 8hrs with travel and waiting time - Taytay ive had done in 15mins with a cake as a thank you :)

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

I use to go to Intramorus for my Visa update, and then found out that Taytay Rizal had an office that could also do extensions. They do not care where your update was done, as long as its done. Intramorus would take about 8hrs with travel and waiting time - Taytay ive had done in 15mins with a cake as a thank you :)

Yes but you can only do a maximum of 2 months in the satellite offices. Right?