Any 13-A Visa Benefits For Foreigners ?

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Howdy folks...

I am going to get married soon and I was wondering, what are the benefits of having a 13-a visa for an American?

I hear it's a good choice for people staying here so I was wondering?

Note: I intend to do DCF (Direct Counselor Filing) at the US embassy in Manila and take my Filipina with me back to the US once approved. 

chris49
Posted
Posted

Going back to the USA? And maybe coming here now and then eg once a year or once in 2 years?

Short answer: the 13 A Visa is not applicable to your situation. You hardly have tie to get it and the first year is probationary.

If you come here with your wife, you may get automatically at the airport the one year balikbayan visa. At this time that's all you need.

• Like 4

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Chris. I have been living here for more than a year so, why the 13a is not applicable?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I have been living here for more than a year so, why the 13a is not applicable?
I intend to do DCF (Direct Counselor Filing) at the US embassy in Manila and take my Filipina with me back to the US once approved. 

I agree with Chris.  13a is for people who want to live in Philippines with their wife and perhaps even work here.  Its more trouble than its worth if you plan to go back to the US and take your wife with you.

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

Chris. I have been living here for more than a year so, why the 13a is not applicable?

First year is probationary, after 12 months you apply your Permanent Status.

You and your wife could fly to Bangkok or HK on Cebu Pacific and get your Balikbayan Visa and it would be similar. Several visits to Immigration will run up the cost. Plus there's annual registration which you can't do if you are not here.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Dolby.

You said you are around 60? Been here for a year? No current employment? Are you 100% sure you meet the requirements to bring your wife to the USA? Full time employment being one of them.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Full time employment being one of them.

I dont think that is correct. I think you will find it says the sponsor must be able to prove that they can support 125% above the poverty line. So if he has money or other means then I doubt that employment is a requirement. What if he won the lotto, would he have to go back to work?  :)

post-1-0-91311700-1439159937_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hi Dolby, here are my thoughts

I am going to get married soon

Since your not married (I am assuming you will marry here in the Philippines) you must process the 13A paper work here in the Philippines, which means you will have to be here for at least 6 months to get an NBI (Philippine version of FBI) clearance. So you will have to extend your tourist visa anyway before you are eligible to apply for a 13A.

my Filipina with me back to the US once approved.

Since it appears you do not plan to stay here in the Philippines IMHO the benefits of a 13A visa don't really equel the trouble it is to go through the process. Which in a nutshell are----6 months (continuous) residency, NBI clearance, 13A process (about 1-2 months before you get the card) 1 year probationary card, go through the process to get your permanent 13A card.

Benefits of the 13A visa?

1.Open a bank account with out the wife (in some banks) (some banks you can open an account on a tourist visa) Lots of topics already about this

2.Not have to leave the country every year if your on a Balikbayan visa

3.Not have to go through the process of extending your tourist visa

4.Have a Philippine issued ID with you

I am sure that there are others. Having said that, I got my 13A visa last February and the card has sat in the drawer since then, never been asked for it anywhere.

Bottom line is if your not planning on staying here, why bother.

• Like 3

Dolby
Posted
Posted

Thought so too. It applies but it only benefits those who stay.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

Full time employment being one of them.

I dont think that is correct. I think you will find it says the sponsor must be able to prove that they can support 125% above the poverty line. So if he has money or other means then I doubt that employment is a requirement. What if he won the lotto, would he have to go back to work?  :)

attachicon.gifsponsor.jpg

Yes you are correct but full time employment is considerably easier. In fact to prove the fiscal responsibility there is an additional filing of form I-864, with some fairly strict conditions attached. As it applies to people over 60 living or working outside the USA, the individual above 60 has difficulty with the conditions because unless they can show the cash, they are instructed to return to the USA and find employment.  A younger person (as it again applied when I was in Saudi Arabia) could simply go back and find a job or even get a work contract in the USA while still overseas. Above 60 has difficulty and I saw cases rejected because of that.

A rich person has no such difficulty.