Storm On The Way(Maybe)

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Watch out for this one if you live in these areas.

A tropical storm may enter the Philippine area of responsibility (PAR) on Wednesday, according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).
Weather forecaster Benjie de Paz said the storm with international name Goni currently has the same track as Typhoon Hanna, which entered the Philippine area of responsibility last week but did not make landfall.
Like Hanna, De Paz said Goni’s current track showed that it will not make landfall but would enhance the southwest monsoon.
Goni, which will be named Ineng once it enters the Philippine area of responsibility, has maximum sustained winds of 85 kilometers per hour and gustiness of 100 kph.
It was located yesterday at 2,520 kilometers east of Southern Luzon, and is moving west northwest at 15 kph.
Meanwhile, another tropical storm in the Pacific – with international name Atsani – is located at 4,320 kms east of Central Luzon.
The weather forecaster said the second storm is still too far to determine if and when it would enter the Philippine area of responsibility.
Various parts of the country yesterday experienced light to moderate rains due to the inter-tropical convergence zone, which affected Northern Mindanao.
PAGASA said the same weather will be experienced today.
“Cloudy skies with light to moderate rains and isolated thunderstorms will be experienced over the regions of Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Caraga and Davao. Partly cloudy to cloudy skies with isolated thunderstorms will prevail over Metro Manila and the rest of the country,” said the weather bureau.
“Light to moderate winds blowing from the southeast to south will prevail over Luzon and coming from the south to southwest over the rest of the country. The coastal waters throughout the archipelago will be slight to moderate,” it added.
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

And this one.

Malacañang gave assurance that all government agencies are prepared to address the El Niño and that President Aquino is closely monitoring the onslaught of the phenomenon in the country, particularly its effects on the agriculture sector as it may affect food production.
“Even before the recent news about the coming El Niño in September, the President has already been aware and he’s already been briefed on the progress of El Niño,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said yesterday over radio dzRB.
As part of government preparations, the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) has already made projections.
Valte noted that DOST’s projections would guide other government agencies properly on the preparations that they would have to implement, such as cloud seeding and water preparation for irrigation.
Other agencies should also be planning for their next steps with regard to the effects of El Niño although they already carried out similar measures last summer, when some areas in the country had less or zero rainfall, Valte added.
El Niño can cause unusually heavy rains in some parts of the world and drought elsewhere. It began in March and is seen to last for a year.
Scientists of the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center predicted that the El Niño weather phenomenon that began this year could be “among the strongest El Niños in the historical record dating back to 1950.”
Deputy director Mike Halpert said the average sea surface temperatures in the equatorial Pacific could reach or exceed two degrees Celsius above normal, a phenomenon recorded only thrice in the last 65 years.
For this reason, the government has widened and intensified its preparations.
“The situation is different from the time that we experienced that more than 15 years ago. Now, what is on our side...is that we have more lessons from then and there is more technology that can help aid in the solution,” Valte said. – Aurea Calica
  • Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Another one.

NORTH COTABATO – Seven persons were injured while 152 houses were destroyed when a tornado struck several villages in Pikit, North Cotabato on Thursday.
The twister first swept through rice fields in Barangays Manaulanan, Punol and Pamalian before hitting the residential communities.
Barangay officials said the tornado also destroyed a structure for farm animals before it dissipated near a swampy area.
Municipal social welfare officer Tahira Kalantungan said the injured victims were hit by debris from houses blown away by the twister. They were rushed to a local hospital for treatment.
Reports reaching the Army’s 6th Infantry Division (ID) in Camp Siongco in Datu Odin Sinsuat town said the tornado also destroyed a mosque and a school building.
Soldiers of the 6th ID have been ordered to help the Pikit municipal government evacuate the displaced villagers.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

With all these storms heading your way, where do you think is the best place to call home on the many islands of the Philippines

Czechman
Posted
Posted
tornado struck several villages in Pikit, North Cotabato on Thursday.

Never thought a tornado would make its tracks here in the Phils!! I always thought they were a N. America thing... WHOAH!!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Never thought a tornado would make its tracks here in the Phils!! I always thought they were a N. America thing... WHOAH!!

:hystery: Well they call them Typhoons here no where near as bad as a twister but they can get a bit nasty.

JP :tiphat:

virginprune
Posted
Posted

With all these storms heading your way, where do you think is the best place to call home on the many islands of the Philippines

I live in South Cotabato in the very southeast of Mindanao, typhoons here are nonexistent but when they hit elsewhere we do get heavy rains. Very occasionally we get an earthquake, my gf has experienced two in her lifetime, she is 44!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I live in South Cotabato in the very southeast of Mindanao, typhoons here are nonexistent but when they hit elsewhere we do get heavy rains. Very occasionally we get an earthquake, my gf has experienced two in her lifetime, she is 44!

Same here in Davao... Every day is pretty well hot and sunny with an evening shower as things cool off during the rainy season... The last couple typhoons didn't affect the weather here at all... And no earthquakes that I know of...

:D

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I saw lots of them in Cebu, but they were over the water and actually waterspouts.

Here is a link with a video as an example

http://philnews.ph/2013/10/07/tornado-hit-cebu-city-video/

I have no doubt they could also form over land, I just have not seen a local tornado hit land.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Some places are less likely to be hit that others but all have their possible dangers.  As far as our tropical storms and typhoons, as I understand them, they form anywhere north of the equator and head in a north west direction.   Sometimes more west than north and sometimes more north than west.  The general result is:  The further south you are the less likely you will see a bad storm in Philippines.  This is just a generalization as the east coast of Mindanao gets more than their fare share but Davao seems to be out of the way most of the time.

• Like 2