Best And Worst Places In Philippines

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

problem with the Philippines and the lovely places is getting to them !!

the roads are not very good at the best of times we have relatives in legazpi and by road its 12-14 hours !

they have just built a short cut from Calamba to the main Manila-Batangas road but someone forgot to put lights on most of the road !

at night its dangerous espec where the road splits at the end !

mind you where we are in Los Banos we are not far from Batangas and Tagatay and 2 hours to Manila

And Los Banos has some nice places

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Exploiting human misery wasn't what I had in mind. The very old churches which were severely damaged would be appropriate for tourists. Shortly after the quake there was a story in a local newspaper with accompanying photo of a place in Bohol where the land had risen 3 meters, so there was a new 3 meter wall of rock and dirt which went on for several kilometers. I want to see that.

When we were there last year and did a day tour, lots of damage was pointed out by the driver. Whether that is "appropriate" for tourists I don't know, but you couldn't avoid it.

As to the overall question, all tourist spots get old quickly. The view from the Empire State Building or of the Grand Canyon is spectacular but would be boring if seen daily. I liked the Chocolate Hills but seeing them once was plenty. I also like walking through powdery white sand, but after a couple times, it's easy to take for granted.

The great thing about the Philippines is not that there is one must see tourist site, but that there are 7000+ islands all of which have something fantastic to see.

I knew there are many pot holes where caves in the lime stone broke in the earthquake and the roof fell in.

> Guy.   Oh I thought you had been there, so you knew roughly where.   

I asked because I like Bohol, but I don't like such risks    :)

stevewool
Posted
Posted
On the Chocolate Hills, you would have to explain to me what you saw, I saw a few hundred grassy mounds, that's all.

A beautiful place to visit at different times of the day, if you can have the view to yourself, its amazing the trip there too, but maybe i am looking throught my camera lens  where everything is just smashing

• Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

Worst place  nbbn  navotas city, I stayed there for 3 days, a few years ago. Rough neighborhood. I stayed at my gf, at the time, mothers place. The first 2 days she would not let me go anywhere without someone with me. The 3rd day I escaped and wondered around, had lots of stares. I also had my first jeepney ride there, my first tike ride there and my first pedicab ride there. I was having the time of my life, but I would not suggest anyone who is not from there pinoy or expat to go wondering around at night. I did wonder around with my g/f at night, went to a few shops to get her electronic cig fixed.  I miss the mother she was a fantastic lady.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Worst place  nbbn  navotas city, I stayed there for 3 days, a few years ago. Rough neighborhood. I stayed at my gf, at the time, mothers place. The first 2 days she would not let me go anywhere without someone with me. The 3rd day I escaped and wondered around, had lots of stares. I also had my first jeepney ride there, my first tike ride there and my first pedicab ride there. I was having the time of my life, but I would not suggest anyone who is not from there pinoy or expat to go wondering around at night. I did wonder around with my g/f at night, went to a few shops to get her electronic cig fixed.  I miss the mother she was a fantastic lady.

Not to mention the 4-5 times a year flooding and the occasional squatter fire gutting out a few hundred buildings. I was down there visiting a patient in hospital and the mood down there was grim. I did not see a lot of happy smiling faces.

In context here though. Navotas, Malabon, Tondo, Payatas (Smokey Mountain), Paco, Bagong Silang Phases 1-7, Novaliches Bayan, areas of Pasig City, Agham, Litex, Capitol Hills, Bgy Commonwealth are not areas where a person would tour or go to say voluntarily if not for family.

The topic was put up by Dave who spun my reply off another topic.

Meaning more, which tourist areas are the best and worst.  Looking at the hype and the reality.

• Like 1

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

​I have asked my wife, Fe, where the best place is, she is unsure.  So, I've decided that the best place if with her.  This is an easy answer as if I spend any appreciable time away from her I am invariably told that is not good place    

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted

​I have asked my wife, Fe, where the best place is, she is unsure.  So, I've decided that the best place if with her.  This is an easy answer as if I spend any appreciable time away from her I am invariably told that is not good place    

Nice one Gerald, keeps you in the good books for a few more months. :)

I am lucky with Gina, she gives me reasonable distance away from her, daytime only. Nighttime :no:, well maybe not, but there's a race coming up and it's with an overnight stay, so with my Filipino clubmates, I think she will be good.

On topic again. I love the north. The unspoiled north, and as I follow the National Highway up from San Fernando, La Union, avoiding the mountains inland on the right (Cordilleras range runs almost all the way up Luzon), I reckon I could live in any area within a stones throw of the National Highway. Knowing people along the way doesn't hurt either.

Wednesday I punctured along the road and as is typical, got 3-4 locals assisting me along the road. Ended up getting a very short sidecar ride to the Tayler, puncture shop guy. Forced them to take 50 pesos for the ride. Today I saw the same guys along the way and got the big wave. Pretty much assuring me I have people who know me and will help me in a crisis.

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
Wednesday I punctured along the road and as is typical, g

What on the road punctures your tires?  Is there a type of tire that that does not happen to as much?  You"re a serious rider so how much harder ro ride a cruising bike there?

chris49
Posted
Posted

Wednesday I punctured along the road and as is typical, g

What on the road punctures your tires?  Is there a type of tire that that does not happen to as much?  You"re a serious rider so how much harder ro ride a cruising bike there?

I ride a MTB, mountain bike with wide tires. And a road racer. What other kind of bike are you referring to? Road racer on a paved road doesn't puncture much. MTB you have to ride of road some times. After a storm there's water and a lot of debris on the trail, that's the nature of the sport.

The Tayler guy gets 20-30 pesos for a quick 5 minute patch. They should run the inside of the tire looking for thorns and small bits of glass. But for 20 pesos and if they are busy you can't expect that.

I have been shown how to run the inside of the tire, but it takes sharp eyesight as well. If you find something you have to dig it out with a fine set of pliers.

There is tubeless. But it's complicated, you have to glue the tire on and if ever it got damaged you have a very hard job to get the tire off and still there's a residue. There's an additional gooey stuff to apply to the tires if damaged, too messy for me. It's better to carry a spare tube, but sometimes it so happens you don't have one. Other riders will loan you, but sometimes I go out alone.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
What on the road punctures your tires?

I also notice it on a motorcycle when I drive the extreme right of the pavement.  Lots of punctures.  So I have taken to riding in the more traveled, middle section and seldom get a puncture.  I suspect that is why so many bicyclists ride down the middle of the road instead of staying to the right.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2