English+News+Overall Impressions?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

This morning I had an epiphany, and like most bright ideas probably waaaaaaaay off base :1 (103): .

The question is more for those of us who have actually lived in other countries for period of time.

We all have our own gripes and complaints about how things might or might not be done here in the Philippines. I am just wondering if part of it is because of one of the primary reasons lots of us chose to live here? Because English is widely used and that is most of the news is and lots of the other communication mediums are in English and we actually understand what is going on.

For example Mogo lived for a long time in Thailand, now I am sure he was aware of major things that went on there, stuff that made CNN international and such. But because English is not widely used there (I am guessing) was he aware of the family that might have an uncle as province governor, brother village chief, father tax collector etc. etc. Or tax money disappeared in an investment scheme by politicians but he might not be aware of it because it only made the local news in the local language? 

I know that if the newspapers here were not in English I would be blissfully ignorant about certain things that go on here.

So maybe ignorance is bliss :hystery: .  Just a thought

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

The news is very much a form of entertainment here. I watch the nightly news as I would watch any other TV program. Usually there's calamity in some part of the country, the kind of thing that has our relatives messagingus about our safety, but we have not yet heard about the situation.

And I read the newspaper reading those gossipy bits about celebrities.

Although there is complete freedom of the press, there are still certain very clear no go areas. If ever you notice, President Noy Noy has dated or had relationships with some young and glamorous types. But now after 4 years in office, this is not mentioned. What are Kris Aquino, Sharon Cuneta and Gretcen Barreto getting up to. We will not find out, but if another Barreto or Kris' ex husband does something, we will hear about it immediately.

As for corruption. If a case is filed, we will hear about it. It is newsworthy but not of particular interest to follow, there are so many cases.

Not sure in Thailand on freedom of the press, but the Royal Family remains above the rabble. Nothing much is ver written about them except on the positive side.

I read the newspaper and watch the news. More or less daily. But if once/twice a week I reckon that would keep me well enough informed.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I'm very careful about the news that I read. I'm not at all "gullible".  Good that they took the word "gullible"  out of the dictionary. I believe even less about what I hear. We all know how bias CNN  and FOX News are. The Philippines is no different.

So where do we go to get the "facts"?  You don't. Is it really that important? Very few things are. Not enough to lose any sleep over.

Common sense is a very valuable tool and wisdom comes with age. Remember what they say about that grain of salt.

• Like 3

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Thank god there is no Fox News Philippines yet.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So where do we go to get the "facts"? 

Said with a smile and maybe a little tongue in Cheek :) My wife gets a lot of the local news around the Southern End of Dumaguete from, YEP! the Bin men. You would be surprised the Gossip and gory bits of news they come buy She say anywhere else has nothing to do with us and to an extent I find the news we get reported the same, If it don't affect me and mine Directly I move on. If it does or is likely to affect us then there are many ways to Find out what is what and Forums like this are good at getting some reliable information even on news, Not all the time I admit but we can always ask a member in what ever area what's happening matey!

That's me and mine folks :thumbsup:

JP :tiphat:

Morning All.  :morning1:

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I always read a "local" paper (usually the Freeman) and a national (the Inquirer for choice) on a daily basis. Mainly for the entertainment, how many contract killings and suicidal motorcyclists have bought it that 24 hours, and the opinion pieces on the either corrupt or inept politicos. It nicely fills time between sporting events on the TV as well. 

Compared to the Singaporean press the Philippine newspapers are streets ahead. Mind they've got much more to report on!

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Great comments all.

Once again, my fingers didn't type what my brain was thinking :1 (103): . Let me rephrase :mocking: .

If we could not read the local newspapers because they were not in English, or there was no local TV news that we could understand. And all the news that we got about the goings on here were just from our family and friends. Would we still have some of the negative connotations that we do have because we can see for ourselves and draw our own conclusions about what happens.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

Good topic Steve.  I have indeed spent a majority of my last 8 years in Thailand and have seen it undergo vast changes, especially politically. Came here at the end of the Thaksin era and  he was loved by the blissfully ignorant uneducted North Thais.  His family created

a 'dynasty' of dubious integrity.

The South (yellow shirts) the more financially well to do sector did not like losing the reigns of power and as they control the army, there

was a coup but here that is just like walking in and saying we are taking over and it happens, can't figure that!  Yellow shirts PM does good job and country going well.  

Another election Red shirts win again (North) as they pay the people to come and vote?  This government is ultra corrupt and totally incompetent, country down tube.  Another coup and we now have Army military Junta running the ship.  Just as hopeless and country struggling. That is a caption that has happened here.

To be more topic specific, much media has been stifled several farang stations shut down for daring to question Junta (military) and 

any opposition are quickly suppressed.  I am far from happy being here under current circumstances,but circumstances require me to

remain so gf can do her family support thing..  

Corruption is allegedly being 'targeted here but it needs to be a bloody big target as it is endemic.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Great comments all.

Once again, my fingers didn't type what my brain was thinking :1 (103): . Let me rephrase :mocking: .

If we could not read the local newspapers because they were not in English, or there was no local TV news that we could understand. And all the news that we got about the goings on here were just from our family and friends. Would we still have some of the negative connotations that we do have because we can see for ourselves and draw our own conclusions about what happens.

Well as I said our Rubbish Collectors (Bin Men) tell the Story good or Bad and many around Dumaguete give Positives and Negatives.

the Majority of Locals now do not always believe things are good and even their news can be believable and might I add dispute the Newspapers Stories in many cases so they are getting there slowly but surely.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

So where do we go to get the "facts"? 

Said with a smile and maybe a little tongue in Cheek :) My wife gets a lot of the local news around the Southern End of Dumaguete from, YEP! the Bin men. You would be surprised the Gossip and gory bits of news they come buy She say anywhere else has nothing to do with us and to an extent I find the news we get reported the same, If it don't affect me and mine Directly I move on. If it does or is likely to affect us then there are many ways to Find out what is what and Forums like this are good at getting some reliable information even on news, Not all the time I admit but we can always ask a member in what ever area what's happening matey!

That's me and mine folks :thumbsup:

Morning All.  :morning1:

Jack, you ever heard of "chizmiz"?  (smile)