Special Education Schools In Quezon City Or Metro Manila

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

We are moving to QC at the end of the year.  My son is 14 and has a mental illness.  No social or behavioral problems at school, just academic ones.  I've been homeschooling him for the past two years, but he's expressed a desire to go back to school.  He's on about a 6th grade level academically.

Are there any schools that handle special education students in the area?  If not, are there any social groups for expat teens that meet regularly?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Bella, I did a google search on "special education Philippines" I saw a Facebook group that might be promising. Other than that I didn't find much. Just based on experience of living here I would be willing to bet that any programs will most likely be at private, for profit schools. Best of luck to you

• Like 2

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Thanks, Scott.  That's pretty much what my online search came up with as well.  We'll probably just stick with homeschooling and try to get him into some after school type activities.

He's just turned 14 last week and is already 6' 2".  Anyone need a center for a basketball team?   :hystery:

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

There is a facility called Cupertino Center in La Vista in Quezon City.  Maybe try getting in touch with them.  They might be able to assist you, or provide a referral.

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Thanks!  I'll check them out.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Just based on experience of living here I would be willing to bet that any programs will most likely be at private, for profit schools.

Not necessarily Scott. Bella, over Dinner Saturday night I spoke to my Sister-in-Law about this ( She is an Elementary Teacher) But holds a committee place on Area activities.

Whilst you are Looking for the Big City Schools, it may be a thought to Look at Good Public schools There. Here in Dumaguete DepEd  ( Department of Education) run 2 or 3 schools with SPED ratings, now she tells me that is Special Education up and down that cater for Fast Learners as well as Slower and even Remedial Classes.You say your son is 14, Which would Put him at grade 6 or 7 here and would be lower end of High School, at 6' as you say with an average of about 5' or less for a 14 year old here, He is going to be Special in more ways than One, She (my SIL) Suggests that you Contact DepEd in the Area you want and have a talk to them and express your Concerns.

Many people knock the Education System here, so go private at great cost and can never be sure of the results until too late but never think to ask the Question of a Body that just may be able to help in the main stream, 14 is that Vulnerable age that will indeed make the Big Impact on his life and I know and feel your concerns for his Education but feel that based on my SIL words to me and my Wife I would say Hey! Drop them a mail and tell them what you are looking for, You never know.

http://www.deped.gov.ph/

As with others Best of Luck  :thumbsup:

JP

post-2148-0-45148300-1442795607.png

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just based on experience of living here I would be willing to bet that any programs will most likely be at private, for profit schools.

Not necessarily Scott. Bella, over Dinner Saturday night I spoke to my Sister-in-Law about this ( She is an Elementary Teacher) But holds a committee place on Area activities.

Whilst you are Looking for the Big City Schools, it may be a thought to Look at Good Public schools There. Here in Dumaguete DepEd  ( Department of Education) run 2 or 3 schools with SPED ratings, now she tells me that is Special Education up and down that cater for Fast Learners as well as Slower and even Remedial Classes.You say your son is 14, Which would Put him at grade 6 or 7 here and would be lower end of High School, at 6' as you say with an average of about 5' or less for a 14 year old here, He is going to be Special in more ways than One, She (my SIL) Suggests that you Contact DepEd in the Area you want and have a talk to them and express your Concerns.

Many people knock the Education System here, so go private at great cost and can never be sure of the results until too late but never think to ask the Question of a Body that just may be able to help in the main stream, 14 is that Vulnerable age that will indeed make the Big Impact on his life and I know and feel your concerns for his Education but feel that based on my SIL words to me and my Wife I would say Hey! Drop them a mail and tell them what you are looking for, You never know.

http://www.deped.gov.ph/

As with others Best of Luck  :thumbsup:

JP

Excellent advice.  When you're dealing with a child with a mental illness, you're not nearly as concerned with the pace that they're learning at as you might be with a neurotypical child.   That he's learning and progressing at all is a great accomplishment.  So, I'm not as concerned with getting an American quality education (for whatever THAT'S worth) as I am with him being somewhere that he is able to keep up with his peers (with quite a bit of help from me and from the school) and grow socially.

I will definitely contact the DepEd and see what they have to offer.

Edited by Bellacissa
  • Like 5

• 9 months later...
JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Check with Ateneo University in Quezon City.  It was merely a proposal when I first heard about it several years ago. Both De La Salle and Ateneo were considering a special needs program that kept academics separate, but integrated special needs students with other campus activities. The example of an integrated activity is attendance as spectators in a sporting event.

Another possibility is a social group that meets regularly. It is designed for home schooled children of all ages and ability. The group gathers on weekends for day field trips or visits to a museum.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Very helpful and thoughtful post jack, triple like and I wish this young man a rewarding journey with his schooling.

It is posts like this Jack, that reminds me of why I like this forum.

• Like 2