Dropping Litter

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I was reading JGF's Dumaguete thread and the subject of "Asians dropping litter everywhere" came up.

I will offer an explanation:

My late father, a zoologist, pointed out that animals that live in trees (effectively all birds, monkeys, squirrels, etc) cannot be house trained but carnivorous animals that live on the ground (dogs, cats, etc) can be. The reason is that the tree living animal is never treading through its own excrement.

Now, until  very lately, Filipinos lived in houses with split bamboo floors,where must of the dirt drops through, and they used very little in the way of material that was not of biological origin. Most biological origin refuse, such as coconut husks and the like, was dried and used as fuel.

Paper, plastic and metal foil have arrived within recent memory. The people have noit adjusted to them, or to solid floors... 

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Andrew,

I will offer a question.....regarding public littering, what is the basic difference between Singapore or Japan and the rest of the Asian countries?  

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

Hey Andrew,

I will offer a question.....regarding public littering, what is the basic difference between Singapore or Japan and the rest of the Asian countries?

It's a nice question.

I think both Singapore and Japan put through the sort of public education programmes that other rich countries have done.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I concur that littering or more precisely not littering is a learned behavior. Growing up in Canada the ditches along the roadways were full of litter. It was only in the late 70s that it became not acceptable to litter. Mostly through government programs eg. the do not litter signs along hi-ways and the keep our province green campaigns I am not saying there is no litter here although not near the levels of a few decades ago. The Philippines is the same there has to a contentious effort by the government to change the attitude of the citizens. I believe there are more and more people in the Philippines seeing this exact thing (the problem of litter)and there will be a change. Especially among the younger generation, they have pride in there country and with the proliferation of photo sharing sites on the internet they realize that the image of garbage strewn areas do not portray the image of the Philippines they want others to see. In the subdivision of my gf in Montalban I see very little garbage laying around. know on the main road leading to the sub. the sides have lots of refuse. I believe the best way to alleviate this is through do not litter propaganda programs and fines for littering.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Hey Andrew,

Well the law of the land. Strict fines are in place in Singapore for one thing.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I would have loved to have a coffee with your Dad Andrew, his field has always been of interest to me. The one way to check the hypothesis, is to find an ancient village such as u describe and see if there is a midden near by.

However I think Dave H has the right of it in a previous topic. Littering and lots of other little nagging problems comes from the "Me First" attitude that seems to be prevalent here.

As CanadaMale says, the states was a lot like that also in the 60's and 70's. I would make a lot of money as a kid picking up aluminum cans along the side of the road. Street sweepers was a major job in large cities back in the day. Until "adopt a highway" came around and it became taboo to litter the streets in the states were a mess. Now if someone throws something out, someone will say something.

My wife, was looking over my shoulder on this and slapped me hard :1 (103): . She grew up during martial law and says littering was not such a problem then. Those caught littering (and jaywalking also she says) would be forced to stand in the street, or sidewalk and sign the national anthem. Jake??? is she pulling my leg again??

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

We have the same problem in Thailand.  People just throw whatever it is on the ground or in the nearest stream.  I'd like to think the lack of trash receptacles is part of the problem.  The only ones I've ever seen here are in front of 7-Elevens.  Other than that, there's no place to put trash when you're out and about.  But, even if there were more receptacles, I don't know that it would fix the problem.  They just don't think anything of dropping trash everywhere.  

I keep a small grocery store bag in my backpack or purse and fill it up with our trash throughout the day.  Then, I dump it in the trash can when I get home.  I'm sure it doesn't help much, but every little bit counts, I guess.  My son has always been very anti-litter and would often pick up trash along the way home from his bus stop back in the states.  I can't let him do that here for fear of what he might pick up (there's a lot more dangerous things than a few soda cans and fast food wrappers here) and it drives him nuts.  He wants to clean it all up and just can't understand why people throw everything on the ground.  

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hey Andrew,

Education

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Other than that, there's no place to put trash when you're out and about.  But, even if there were more receptacles, I don't know that it would fix the problem.  They just don't think anything of dropping trash everywhere. 

Here is the same it is extremely difficult to find a rubbish bin, even in the malls sometimes. When I was young we were taught at school to not litter, was as simple as that. Sometimes the children here in the SD come to our house and we give them candy, I can bet you before they hit the road outside the house the candy wrapper is off and thrown on the ground, I call them back and tell them to put the wrappers in the bin, that they walk right past, they think I am some kinda crazy long nose :unsure:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

My son has always been very anti-litter and would often pick up trash along the way home from his bus stop back in the states.  I can't let him do that here for fear of what he might pick up (there's a lot more dangerous things than a few soda cans

To me this just about says it all. People just don't Know or do I mean, don't want to know What can be Caught from this trash Situation.

Many Countries went through Plague's with 000's dying because of this Ignorance, Maybe it will be the One way that they will learn,

Whilst it was Rejected by the Captain ( For wherever reason)  We Offered to place two Rubbish Bins of Good size along the Road from the Puroks to the Sorry, Sorry, that is used by me and Many others. My thinking was that he didn't want the Bins because he would have to pay to have them Emptied.

Instead we Put a Dustbin size Bin at the serving Area of the Shop (Well to the Side) so not to smell and smaller Kids delving into

I Spend an Hour each day there having my Beer and the Children use that Bin when I am around. They can be educated into using Bins but it has to start at home with Parents and Elder Siblings.

Jack :thumbsup:

Morning All :morning1:

• Like 2