Balanga, Bataan?

strap
Posted
Posted
We're planning a move to the Philippines sometime within the next year or two. My wife's extended family is in Angeles City, Luzon. So it's pretty much a given that we'll end up on Luzon somewhere, and probably north of Manila. My one firm non-negotiable requirement (at least that I haven't cracked on yet) is that we have to be at least an hour from Angeles. I know that's probably not far enough, but it's better than being right next door to the family. 

My wife was over in the Philippines a few months ago, and took a day trip to Subic to check that area out. For some reason she didn't care that much for it. I think she thought it was maybe too touristy or resort-y.

One city that's recently appeared on our radar as one to check out is Balanga, Bataan. I keep seeing references to Balanga being a "progressive" city with a young, progressive mayor. It has about 90,000 residents which seems like a good size. Not too big, but has a mall, a Robinson's, a PureGold, all the normal city stuff. It sits on Manila Bay, and...it's about an hour from Angeles.

My wife will be back in the Philippines next month, and she's going to make trip to Balanga to take a look.

Does anyone know anything, good or bad, about Balanga?

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Subic might have too many ways for a fellow to get in trouble.

bows00
Posted
Posted

Subic might have too many ways for a fellow to get in trouble

I completely agree... that is why I like it so much...

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Six months ago, my gf and I did a North Luzon trek with the same view in mind.  Her family is Candon City area, we went as far as 

Laoag City and nothing much grabbed me.  Pangasinan has some potential and you are only a few hours from Angeles, far enough away for sanity.

• Like 2