A Coming Of Age ( Debut)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:unsure:  Reading Chris's Programme for the Baptisms has Reminded me of Something last night I had Forgotten.

Before I ask a Question I thought a run in and a resume of things to help anyone that feels they can or will answer.

Way back maybe 15/16 years ago during what Azon calls her Bad time with her Ex She was a Sponsor at a Baptism for one of her batch years friends. The Reason I mention Chris is because I wondered about the amount of Sponsors but it's OK as now, I get a Picture in my Mind and prompted me to put it to paper. [so to speak]

There were 18 Sponsors at the Baptism of 'Carla' Now apart from 1 (one no longer around and has not been for 16 years but there is a substitute as in me). :)

Negros is a Place where unless you Go off OFW very few Stray far from the Area they were brought up in ( Well in this case anyway)

So as the Parents had Hoped for All the Origional God Parents ( As I believe sponsors should be called)

Will be Gathered to help Celebrate 'Carlas' Coming out Debut, Coming of Age, Call it what we want EH?

In this day and age quite a feat I thought but it is Going to happen Subject to a disaster.  I have been welcomed into this ladies life for over 8+ Years now and have been asked to be one of the 18.

Apparently, it is in the Culture & Custom on these occasions that each of the Grandparents give a little one liner to Boost the said Persons Confidence on Entering into Adulthood. The Question I would ask, is Should it be Funny, Factual, Mind bursting, From me Maybe, Western Slanting or What?

Friends, I have Until November  7th to Submit my little Ditty as they are going on the Programme. HELP! Please. Certainly Not Sexual post-2148-0-60148300-1445996675.png

Jack :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

When we went to my nieces "coming out" a few years ago here, I was astounded by the similarity. Just be ready to take out a loan

:hystery:  That Figures

Jack post-2148-0-22662800-1445999579.png

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

When we went to my nieces "coming out" a few years ago here, I was astounded by the similarity. Just be ready to take out a loan

:hystery:  That Figures

Jack attachicon.gifwink.png

Make that 4 or 5 figures in Philippine currency.....he, he.  

• Like 5

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You know Jack, if your a bit short, and since my name is Scott and not Singh, what do you say to 5/5.25 and not 5/6. :tiphat:  

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You know Jack, if your a bit short,

Well of course it is not Our Daughter but I am getting prepared for the hit, Ours will be in two Years, then I will be looking for Donations. :hystery:

Jackpost-2148-0-47358400-1446005127.png :thumbsup:

• Like 4

chris49
Posted
Posted

No experience on the coming out Jack. Seen it once in Manila, 100 guests all seated, but I actually did not attend. There was something on the invitation about bringing a gift and it totally put me off, we hardly knew the girl.

There were 18 Sponsors at the Baptism of 'Carla' Now apart from 1 (one no longer around and has not been for 16 years but there is a substitute as in me). :)

18 seems to be an operative number. We have about 10 on the side of Caitlin and around 18 on the side of Kyle. What we are told is that the sponsors and the principal godfathers who stand in the Church. That would be 2 sets of husband and wife, about 2-4 on each side.

The balance of the people named as godfather/godmother they are calling secondary. They don't attend the church,  but should come for lunch at the house. In future the principal sponsors are the ones you are close too and the child will call them nenong and nenang. The others, it depends on the future relationship if they are close enough to be recognized as godparents or not.

In  four years I'm godfather to maybe 11-12. But a few of them I hardly know and in one case it was so casual Gina forgot to tell me, despite the fact we were already there eating lunch. Cost me 500 of course.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

All i can add to this Jack, is say it from your Heart , :)

paulus
Posted
Posted

Jack, from my observations in the few years I have been here, Debuts here are really big deal for those with the wherewithal, and friendly with the bank manager. For those without it's just 'Happy Birthday'.

I would suggest (a) keep the language and message simple, adoring, no subtlety, no innuendo. One or two Pilipino words only in the right place might impress, but be sure you get pronunciation absolutely correct, or the gathering might hear something not intended. Pilipinos love irony. You could try: "when we first met.......and now look at her" type of message. Your daughter's reaction will be a good indicator of how well it went over.

OR

(b) perhaps you might have an appointment which you can't miss on another island far far away.

AND

It will be fun to read of your account of the 'bash' in fine detail.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Jack, from my observations in the few years I have been here, Debuts here are really big deal for those with the wherewithal, and friendly with the bank manager. For those without it's just 'Happy Birthday'.

I would suggest (a) keep the language and message simple, adoring, no subtlety, no innuendo. One or two Pilipino words only in the right place might impress, but be sure you get pronunciation absolutely correct, or the gathering might hear something not intended. Pilipinos love irony. You could try: "when we first met.......and now look at her" type of message. Your daughter's reaction will be a good indicator of how well it went over.

OR

(b) perhaps you might have an appointment which you can't miss on another island far far away.

AND

It will be fun to read of your account of the 'bash' in fine detail.

Outstanding Paulus!  A profound and deep understanding about the Filipino culture at the street level.  As for me, they would never call me up for a speech at a social gathering.  Apparently my wife Judy did not appreciate how I tried to break the ice, as a dollar speaking Filipino.  It began with a stupid joke to teach basic informal English.  I started with a poem -- I once met a girl from Nantucket.........

But I tell you what, when all the ladies (like my 90 yr old Mom) get together in the kitchen, you should hear all the very nasty jokes being traded in Tagalog.  Their laughter exceeded the sound barrier, for christ sake!

• Like 2