Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I have added a new forum about scams. This is one of the latest. If you know of other scams in the Philippines please start a new topic.   :thumbsup:

Philippine legislators have called for an investigation into an alleged scam against passengers at Manila airport.

The "bullet scam" allegedly sees bullets dropped into the luggage of passengers as they go through security at the country's main airport.

Passengers are then required to pay a fine or face being charged with illegal possession of ammunition.
An overseas Filipino worker and Japanese tourist are the latest to complain.

"This is becoming an international embarrassment", said Sherwin Gatchalian, vice-chairman of the tourism committee in the House of Representatives.
Senator Ralph Recto stressed the need for intervention from authorities, adding: "There is no working system that is guarding the guards."
Gloria Ortinez - an overseas Filipino worker - was stopped from flying to Hong Kong after a bullet was found in her hand luggage at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
Ortinez denied the bullet was hers, saying she would never carry one because of Hong Kong's strict security laws.
Office of Transportation Security (OTS) personnel released her after several days in police detention.

Japanese tourist Kazunobu Sakamoto was found with two bullets in his luggage and arrested after failing to show documents authorising him to carry ammunition.
The reports have caused outrage, with locals criticising airport authorities. Mr Gatchalian condemned OTS staff, saying they were "not afraid to prey on foreigners".
Some of the passengers detained were released after the bullets were found to be blanks, while others were taken to court for refusing to pay fines.
Surveillance at the airport has been stepped up since the complaints began and an investigation has been launched into the personnel accused of involvement.

• Like 5

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Ahh yes. Corruption at it's finest. They can't stop it though. They would be totally lost without it. It's been ingrained in them since birth.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

May not be a scam... could just be a whole rash of stupid foreigners ha ha... 

Yeah... more fun in the Philippines!  :tiphat:

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

just a fore taste of the many scams here in the Philippines !

The luggage checkers at the exit want UK pounds or US dollars before they take of the barcodes !

that is until the little woman starts shouting at them!

Theres the driving licence scam in the LTO office in Binan Laguna signs saying dont use fixers inside and outside !

but if you dont use a fixer ( who has access to inside the office ) there will be many problems with your application forms !!

The so called " prize winning cards " given away in certain shopping centres where if you are not aware you could end up spending

60.000 + pesos on various items !

The Hospital scam when you go in because the little woman says so after you get a nasty cut and the staff say you will need a blood test, a urine test,and Xray etc etc ! you have got to learn the one magic word " NO ! "

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Theres the driving licence scam in the LTO office in Binan Laguna signs saying dont use fixers inside and outside ! but if you dont use a fixer ( who has access to inside the office ) there will be many problems with your application forms !!
Perhaps because the LTO office staff want that money for themselves?...  :mocking:

I know a Filipina, who has a real approved car drivers license, although she NEVER has driven a car!!!   :hystery:

Am expat told - I believe somewhere in this forum - he got the choise geting a drivers license DIRECT WITHOUT make any test for around 2500p

or have to WAIT months to get chance to realy MAKE the test...

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Theres the driving licence scam in the LTO office in Binan Laguna signs saying dont use fixers inside and outside ! but if you dont use a fixer ( who has access to inside the office ) there will be many problems with your application forms !!
Perhaps because the LTO office staff want that money for themselves?...  :mocking:

I know a Filipina, who has a real approved car drivers license, although she NEVER has driven a car!!!   :hystery:

Am expat told - I believe somewhere in this forum - he got the choise geting a drivers license DIRECT WITHOUT make any test for around 2500p

or have to WAIT months to get chance to realy MAKE the test...

Took me a whole day to get my licence but I no longer drive here too dangerous

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

How many reported "bullet scam" cases are there now in the past couple months?! I thought it was like 4 or 5 cases at this point. I know there's also those who want pay off the officials' (coffee money) and quietly go on their way. This seems so transparently blatant and it just amazes me to no end people are getting detained when extortion is obviously rearing it's ugly head. Folks are now stretchwrapping their luggage. Is this new scam supposed to suppliment the attempted Balikbayan/OFW scams they attempted a while back? I mean, I'm traveling there soon and want to stay ahead of the latest modus operandi. This has got to hurt the tourist industry. Another case of bad things happening to good people.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I am going to have to disagree on this one a little bit (Based on my personal experience)

3 years ago when I first moved here went on my own to get my USA drivers license converted, like you said fixer (didn't know then what he was lol) met me at the gate, walked me to the medical check then to the main window to start the process. Cost me P150 for nothing. Took about 5 hours all told. 3 years later went to renew my license, ignored the fixers, got in line, got my number, went to the various windows payed my fee was out of there in about 2 hours.

The so called " prize winning cards " given away in certain shopping centres where if you are not aware you could end up spending 60.000 + pesos on various items !

This, IMO really isn't a scam, this just a smart retailer taking advantage of the well known Filipino cultural trait of trying to get something for nothing. We got one of those booklets for SM Mega mall, went shopping at the hypermart bought all our stuff up to the limit to get our selves one of those "free" reusable shopping bags. "Sorry Sir it is for purchases in the department store only" :hystery:

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Took me a whole day to get my licence but I no longer drive here too dangerous

Hey ExpatUK,

Yeah, I have to agree with ya.  Judy and I put some mileage on that assembled Jeep Wrangler back in the mid 1990's.  Actually, it was fun to drive and getting suck in axle deep mud in Puerto Galera, Mindoro.

But now when I eventually join you guys over there, I would need a driver at all times.  I don't have the patience anymore dealing with everyday street corruption.  Besides, they would readily detect that fresh apple smell on me and charge me Balikbayan price -- slightly lower than Kano price.

My 2nd reason I wouldn't drive anymore over in PI, is that I would turn into a naked staggering drunk.....after drinkin' with you boys.

No mo dry-bing por me pare'.  I like to live a little bit longer too.

Edited by Jake

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

You folks are taking this bullet planting too lightly. This so called scam is an act of terrorism. Planting contraband in the luggage of travelers is bad enough as it is. But ammunition? I strongly suggest you contact your own country's government representative be it a senator or congressman in the US or whatever they are called in other countries and file a complain to bring this matter to the attention of the leaders in the Philippines. It must STOP!!!

This act of terrorism is one scary sh&t. There has been more than 3300 cases over approx 12 mos. Its been going on bc Philippine authorities have not addressed it mainly bc no one with any clout has brought it to their attention. The morons at the airport have found it to be a lucrative modus operandi. Since none of them have had their limbs chopped off for their infractions why would they stop. Another avenue is to spread this BS in the internet and in social media and hit them where it hurts - Tourism. If there is a drastic reduction in tourists I am sure they will take notice.

Who in their right mind would visit such a country when upon arrival you are subjected this act of terrorism. Not to mention what you will experience when in the country.

Fortunately, the international media is starting to notice. The BBC, Yahoo US and Rappler recently wrote an article on it on behalf of the OFWs. But the pressure should be kept up. I believe it is everyone's responsibility to bring this matter to light. You cannot rely on local authorities to address this matter.

Edited by gaga4
  • Like 1