Bullet Scam Angered Philippine Legislators

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

this modus operandi of planting bullets in traveler's luggage creates an environment of fear in the airport. It is terrorizing all travelers!!!

Methinks you are taking this way too seriously.  Its an obvious scam and I have only heard of them asking 500 pesos to 'let you off with a warning'.  VERY mild by Philippine standards, IMHO.

You are the first and only person I have ever heard or read about who seems to feel an 'environment of fear' from this scam.  Thus my suggestion that you are taking it too seriously.  Now the Ampuatuan massacre, THAT should create an environment of fear, and yet nothing happens in that case and we spend our time worrying about a .22 bullet planted in a bag for corruption reasons?  Where is our sense of scale?

Dave, methinks you are not understanding the problem.

Yes the Ampatuan massacre was a very serious crime. But the setting of the two issues are different. The Ampatuan matter was an internal political feud affecting a group of people and is confined to the south. It has been in the hands of the authorities - LMFAO. And what about the 44 soldiers?

The bullet issue however affects every incoming and outbound traveler. Yes I understand no one is getting killed by it. Are you saying you want someone to get killed first before you raise the level of threat??? If this continues unchecked, maybe one of the travelers could lose it in the airport and things may get ugly. Is that what you are looking for??? Don't you want to nip this to prevent anything like that from happening??

I am aware of the other high-profile shenanigans affecting foreign travelers. Like the Canadians kidnapped in Davao. But this matter in NAIA is happening right under the noses of the authorities. They can easily apprehend the perpetrators. That is part of the seriousness of this matter.

I wonder if you will be singing a different tune if you get "caught" with a bullet in your luggage. Did you even read the articles? Some who were "caught" were required to pay P80,000. But that does not count the possibility that you could be put in the NO FLY LIST and blacklisted by the TSA and Interpol.

Arriving at an airport to visit a place is supposed to be a pleasant experience.

Yes, Dave. I am taking this matter very seriously. Maybe you should to. Maybe you should be contacting the British Embassy or your Prime Minister and protest this act of terrorism. This is not the time to be protecting the tourism industry in the Philippines because they themselves obviously do not care how they are being perceived by the rest of the world.

Edited by gaga4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Yes, Dave. I am taking this matter very seriously. Maybe you should to

You have a very strong opinion and you are welcome to it.  I won't be jumping on that band wagon any time soon.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder, if you have a scam topic other than the bullets, start a new topic in this new scam forum.

Here is an article about how to avoid the scam, but I am not sure I think this would help much.

http://www.wheninmanila.com/dont-panic-what-to-do-when-you-are-victimized-of-laglag-bala-in-naia/

The shrink wrap might be worth the time, but that is only for checked baggage.  Is this scam happening with carry-on and / or checked bags?

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Just a reminder, if you have a scam topic other than the bullets, start a new topic in this new scam forum.

Here is an article about how to avoid the scam, but I am not sure I think this would help much.

http://www.wheninmanila.com/dont-panic-what-to-do-when-you-are-victimized-of-laglag-bala-in-naia/

The shrink wrap might be worth the time, but that is only for checked baggage.  Is this scam happening with carry-on and / or checked bags?

It happens on both Checked in and Carry on.

The attached article is not bad. But you have to have the presence of mind to remember all that. It is still a temporary fix. It does not address stopping this act of terrorism.

The expat and tourist community really needs to address this thru other means as already stated above. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

An article in the Philippine Daily Star about Manny Pacquiao offering to fund lawyers to assist anyone unfortunate enough to get caught up in this scam. Although primarily aimed at OFW's it might be worth storing this number on your phone. Such legal representation may not be free to ex-pats but at least it would be a point of contact for knowledgable advice in what could be very difficult circumstances.

http://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/pacman-offers-lawyers-for-%E2%80%98bullet%E2%80%99-victims/ar-BBmFpTQ?li=AAb280R

Ken

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Travelers have been getting scammed at (and around) NAIA since the first plane landed there. The politicians are up in arms because the scammers allegedly victimized OFWs, “our modern-day heroes”, as Senator (and Presidential candidate) Santiago called them. According to the BSP, OFW remittances to the Philippines in 2014 were almost $27 billion dollars, about 8.5% of the GDP -  But it could be much higher, how would they know? Balikbayan boxes are not even inspected, they tried to do it recently but the OFWs protested and they dropped it immediately. OFWs are the equivalent of Social Security in the US, “the 3rd rail of politics”.

I was going thru customs there maybe 10 years ago with a friend and his wife, both Filipinos who grew up here but moved to the US to work and retire. They were returning for a visit. A uniformed female customs officer made the mistake of asking my friend’s wife if she would make a donation so they could get merienda. I couldn’t understand what was said but I’ll bet her ears are still ringing. Uniformed customs agents begging travelers for food is not exactly the image you want to project to the world.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I like this idea.  I saw it on Facebook.  Although to be honest I am not sure in the US they would just confiscate a bullet like they do a knife. 

But here in the PI's it would be a simple way to take the power away from the scammers.

post-2045-0-31246200-1446358847_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I like this idea.  I saw it on Facebook.  Although to be honest I am not sure in the US they would just confiscate a bullet like they do a knife. 

But here in the PI's it would be a simple way to take the power away from the scammers.

attachicon.gif11221401_10153662440707974_6606093875368504020_n.jpg

Yes, good idea.

If they would have to drop a gun in all, they would need much more "investment" capital  :mocking: