Cost Of Running A 3 Hp Inverter Type Air Conditioning.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I can now say, with some Control in the House, Electricity need not be a major Cost

Congrats.  The way your house is so open, and with such a large air conditioner, I thought your bill would be much, much higher.  Again, well done!

Well here we are Bill day and I will Thank my two later, Covering the Christmas and New year Period, 3 Parties and an Adhoc Friends gathering + 2 teenage Video shoot days and still, we get a bill of only 3.487.51 peso. I am in Most of the day and the house is Cool and Comfortable but it just goes to show that we have set the right Controls both in Temp and thoughts of use on the A/C's

Jack :thumbsup:

Jack, what is the model number on your Daikin?  I'm going to stop by the local dealer tomorrow.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I can now say, with some Control in the House, Electricity need not be a major Cost

Congrats.  The way your house is so open, and with such a large air conditioner, I thought your bill would be much, much higher.  Again, well done!

Well here we are Bill day and I will Thank my two later, Covering the Christmas and New year Period, 3 Parties and an Adhoc Friends gathering + 2 teenage Video shoot days and still, we get a bill of only 3.487.51 peso. I am in Most of the day and the house is Cool and Comfortable but it just goes to show that we have set the right Controls both in Temp and thoughts of use on the A/C's

Jack, what is the model number on your Daikin?  I'm going to stop by the local dealer tomorrow.

The 1 hp is a "D" series. model FTKC25PVM the 3 hp is the "Elite series"  FKM71NVM

Hope all this helps my friend.

Morning All  :morning1:

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

On the Daikin web site, there are 2 dealers in my area.  I can't find one (didn't call yet) and the other told me they only sell LG and Carrier.  If I want Daikin, I will probably have to use a dealing in Angeles or Pampanga, which would increase the installation cost due to the distance.

I'm leaning towards a 3 hp Panasonic split inverter.  I read some good things about them.  They have them at Abenson.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

An update on my Air Con situation, using Jack's thread.  I finally took possession of a long term lease here in Subic and now have to get air con installed in the main area, which is quite large, about 85-90 SQM.

I was hoping to use something like Jack did:  One unit, 3 HP.  However, after much research, reading the experiences of others, and the advice of two pros,  I am going to go with 2 inverter splits.

My research tells me that it is best to overpower with inverter units and underpower with non-inverters.  The logic behind that is that a non-inverter will turn on and off a lot if you are overpowered.  A lot of power is used on startup.  Inverters, on the other hand, with just slow down and not turn on and off.

So I am overpowering, I think.  I am going with a 2.5 hp at the end of the house that is the main living area with the most use.  Then at the other end, a 1.5 or 2 hp.  That is a lot of HP (4 or 4.5) but is actually less than the biased manufacturer recommendations for such a large space.

One reason for not putting a 3 HP as the main one is that for some reason, the jump in price from 2.5 to 3 is always big.  Not sure why.

My logic, maybe flawed, has me hoping for:

1.  On cooler days, I just run the 2.5.  I will have to monitor to watch how fast it is running and get the hang of optimizing air con usage.

2.  At night, I probably have them both off or one running slowing, more for dehumidifying.

3.  Very hot days or when lots of people are in the house, run both, and hopefully working together they will both run slowly and not consume much electricity.

Now some might say, why not try just the main 2.5 and see how that works before installing another?  I have considered that, but I am renovating that room, and the smaller unit will need a drainpipe carved into the wall.  I would like to get that down now during the renovations.  Come to think of it, maybe I could just have a drainpipe installed and play wait and see?  And also, with only a 2.5, it might run a full high too much and use it's maximum electricity.

I am fairly certain I am going to go with Carrier, even though I could pay a lot less for some other good brands like LG.  The two "silver" line units will set me back over p90,000, plus installation.  The silver line has all the things I want.  The highest "gold" level has stuff I don't need and the EER's are less than the silver.  Also, Carrier Silver has the highest EER's I have seen.  The best is the 2.5, with a EER range of 17.5-12.9.

This is a lot of money but it is a long term investment for me, as I plan on staying in the house indefinitely.  I have a 28 year lease.  When it goes down to 25, I can bump it up to 50 if I want to.  Not that I will be around then, but the family will have it.

I welcome you opinions.  I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I welcome you opinions.  I'm going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

No opinions as it seems you have done your homework, From me, Just Good Luck and hope it all works out, Everything I mean. With Kev's (Sonjacks) happy move now this, it may be the Turning point for good things happening :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2016 at 5:06 PM, Jack Peterson said:

No opinions as it seems you have done your homework, From me, Just Good Luck and hope it all works out, Everything I mean. With Kev's (Sonjacks) happy move now this, it may be the Turning point for good things happening :thumbsup:

Well, I was always a fan of the TV show Home Improvement, and Tim the Toolman always had the motto "more power" is better.  I added an extra p7000 so that I will have two 2.5 hp units, total of 5 hp.  A long term investment in my coolness!  This 2.5 inverter unit has the highest EER I have seen in the Philippines, so I am hoping for low bills.  Anything is better than what we have now in our rental house.  This old inefficient central air con costs me a fortune and does not even cool well.  My last bill was almost p10,000 and I expect the next one will be even more!

It will be another week or two before installation, so I will update after that.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Well, I was always a fan of the TV show Home Improvement, and Tim the Toolman always had the motto "more power" is better.  I added an extra p7000 so that I will have two 2.5 hp units, total of 5 hp.  A long term investment in my coolness!  This 2.5 inverter unit has the highest EER I have seen in the Philippines, so I am hoping for low bills.  Anything is better than what we have now in our rental house.  This old inefficient central air con costs me a fortune and does not even cool well.  My last bill was almost p10,000 and I expect the next one will be even more!

It will be another week or two before installation, so I will update after that.

I'm following this with great interest since we will start building hopefully in January.  I am sure we will install split units.  I'm still up in the air if it will be inverter types.  I have read how expensive they are to repair and how easily the circuit boards are damaged by lizards, mice and insects in the Philippines.  Even my HVAC guy here on the east coast tells me a repair parts alone can easily eat any savings from the inverter type.  However, if no breakdowns, a true savings in a cooler home!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 2/13/2016 at 11:22 AM, Jack Peterson said:

The 1 hp is a "D" series. model FTKC25PVM the 3 hp is the "Elite series"  FKM71NVM

Hope all this helps my friend.

Morning All  :morning1:

The cheapest way to save money Jack is to leave it in 'stop' mode, but it may not do a lot for the lowering of the heat!!!!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, intrepid said:

I'm still up in the air if it will be inverter types.

Yes, I struggled with this.  I asked the guy I bought them from about it, and he says they are sealed.  Of course, he does repairs too, so I don't know what to believe.  Carrier is extremely popular here in Subic, and is a premium brand, so I hope I have made the right choice.  If I have a problem with the geckos, I will raise hell with Carrier at all levels!

• Like 1

florin1106
Posted
Posted (edited)

I know how to calculate the consumption / pesos amount of an Air Con or Any other appliance..

To Jack Peterson or any other members who are interested..

Here we go:

In order to do that you need to know First the Wattage of your unit.. Usually the label is on the side on the Inverter not on the motor..

You have a 3 Horse Power AC and let's assume your Wattage is 2000 Watts..( check yours !) So your unit is using 2000 Watts in one ( 1 ) Hour.

Now you need to convert the Wattage into Kilowatts per hour which is dividing this by 1000.

2000 Watts divided by 1000 =  2 KWh. 

Next  ..you need to know how much your Electric Company is charging you in pesos per 1 KW. Look at the Bill. In the first or second box it says KWh used. Take your monthly TOTAL bill amount and divide the total by the KWh used. This amount I noticed does vary from city to city from province to province etc ( Philippine.. you know !!).

For the sake of calculation let's say you pay 10 pesos per 1KWh. ( here in Panglao Island we pay 10 or 11 pesos).

Let's again assume you use this Air Con for 2 hours ( 120 minutes)  in the evening over dinner. The Formula is: 

Watts ( 2000 your unit)  divided by 1000 ( to get KWh)  X 120 ( usage in minutes - dinner !) divided by 60 minutes ( one hour calculated for the KWh) X 10 ( pesos per KWh) ..

So 2000 divided by 1000 = 2KWh  X 120 divided by 60 X 10 pesos = 40 pesos !

You pay 40 pesos for an Air Con of 2000 watts used for 2 hours

Buon Appetite Jack !

Edited by florin1106
  • Like 3