Cateyed Filipinos

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I can see difference between some Filipino ethnic groups rather often,

but one thing confuse me.

I have seen Filipinos with cat looking eyes, but they are from different islands NOW, but often they don't know their ancestors more than a few generations back, so I haven't found any mutual sourse of such look.

Anyone knowing is cat eye look coming from an ethnic group? If so - from where?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Hi Thomas

Forgive me but what do you mean by Cat eyes?

There are Filipino's with Spanish blood and there are Filipinos with Chinese blood and of course other mixed race.

But I have never heard that expression before. Hope your not offending anybody.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hi Thomas

Forgive me but what do you mean by Cat eyes?

There are Filipino's with Spanish blood and there are Filipinos with Chinese blood and of course other mixed race.

But I have never heard that expression before. Hope your not offending anybody.

Roger that Kuya John,

I even google Filipino cat eyes but only got make up fashion trend for the eyes.  Thomas, perhaps you can show us a photo showing that distinct facial features from a certain ethnic group?    

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Hmmm... I wonder?  Every so often here I hear of a person of Chinese ancestry described as having "chink eyes".  In the USA, and many other countries this would, of course, be considered a racial slur.  Here, I have never heard it used in an insulting manner, and infact, I have a niece who describes herself as having chink eyes.  I think it is important that we as expats do not allow our own ideas of what is "proper" to color our judgement of our Philippine hosts.

• Like 4

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

Hmmm... I wonder?  Every so often here I hear of a person of Chinese ancestry described as having "chink eyes".  In the USA, and many other countries this would, of course, be considered a racial slur.  Here, I have never heard it used in an insulting manner, and infact, I have a niece who describes herself as having chink eyes.  I think it is important that we as expats do not allow our own ideas of what is "proper" to color our judgement of our Philippine hosts.

On my island, those "be" fighting words :)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I think I may know what Thomas means. It is when the person's eyes are slightly angled upward to the outside like a cat. I knew a black gal with eyes like that. :10001:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On my island, those "be" fighting words

That is good information to know.  I did not realize that the interpretation/intent would vary from island to island.  Salamat for sharing.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I think I may know what Thomas means. It is when the person's eyes are slightly angled upward to the outside like a cat. I knew a black gal with eyes like that. :10001:

That I can see, on Negros, Oriental at least because of the Inter Chinese breeding. This can be apparent. Learning a family name can give indications.  :unsure:  Yes my Friends we have many Many family names of Chinese decent, the Children are not Fully Chinese eyes but very slanting with regard to what we could call a Norm but having said that, is there a normal look to a Filipino? Somehow I don't think so.

To me, surely it (the PI) must be one of the Biggest mixed bag of Looks and depending on Preferences, they are all lovely Looking  (Well the ladies anyway)  :thumbsup:

I asked my daughter what she thought, her answer was Dad, Cats eyes are deceitful eyes.

Not too many Filipinos like Cats so yes, we should be careful how we put things.

Jack :tiphat:

• Like 5

Larry45
Posted
Posted

On my island, those "be" fighting words

That is good information to know.  I did not realize that the interpretation/intent would vary from island to island.  Salamat for sharing.

It really doesn't vary much from island to island.  Filipinos are basically all the same with regards to racial slurs....they are allowed to be unapologetic bigots, but a foreigner should be deported (or worse) for even the slightest negative insinuation.  Maybe that was the point.  

• Like 1

skyskyper
Posted
Posted

You got it absolutely right. Foreigners would conclude that Filipinos are outright racists because of this. But, I think, racism is an alien concept that does not even dwell/exist in the Filipino psyche.  

Try blurting out to a Filipino : " hey, you are so fat!"  as a greeting. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't draw a bit of negative reaction at all. It is also common for Filipino parents to describe their children according to skin tone, hahaha!