Steel Frame Housing

Williamtgriffiths
Posted
Posted

Hi, Has anyone got any experience with steel frame housing in the Philippines. These are sold a lot as kit housing in Australia. Anyone got any experience of importing kit homes from China (or Australia). 

I want to build a low set (1 m off the ground) steel frame building on our land in Negros.

Am looking for an architect who can design & supervise construction.

Any advice or contacts etc 

Cheers

William

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Hi William, I live in Metro Manila and the only steel frame buildings I have seen under construction are large condos, factories or warehouses. To the best of my recollection I have never seen a house built with anything but ree bar and cinder block.

Good news is, is that if you have the cash, you can have anything built anyway you want.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Insulation for heat and sound are very important considerations in the PI. Just saying... you are probably already aware of that.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Wish you the best of luck trying to build anything different here. Your sure going to need a lot of it.

• Like 2

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

I have seen houses here (my brother-in-law's for one) where the exterior walls are cement block, then all the interior walls where metal framed and then drywall. Or what they pass for drywall here. It's nothing more than 1/4" Hardi-Board. But that makes it ALOT easier running your electrical and plumbing and fixing such if need be. If you allow for framing the interior of your exterior walls with metal frame as well then you can insulate that. The cement block exterior makes the house quite a bit more typhoon proof as well. Just a thought

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Building in Steel and getting an Engineer/Designer can be Found easily enough but from Recent experience it will be the Quality of the Steel that would be of Concern. Coupled with the Quantity of Stocks and continued Quality

JMHO

Jack :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
exterior walls are cement block, then all the interior walls where metal framed

I have that in one area of my house.  I wish I had gone for the hollow block on all walls as it is much more soundproof .

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I wish I had gone for the hollow block on all walls as it is much more soundproof .

post-2148-0-57945100-1446699128.gif Now here we need another Topic/s at sometime, Soundproofing and Insulation

Jack

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

i still fancy the idea of a bamboo /wood house, yes may look a little silly in the city but out on the hills , its still in my thoughts , maybe those who have lived there for years may say silly thoughts but who knows,

Good luck in the steel frame

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I've seen a house with the outside walls made of the steel channel they use for interior walls. Instead of drywall boards they use what looked like aquaboard and put some waterproof mixture to seal it.The contractor who did it is very successful here so I don`t know how good it is as he still has plenty of work. The thing I would say about it what about safety from burglars I didn`t see any kind of mesh or protection going into it.

• Like 1