Joint Bank Account

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

What is needed for an American here in the Philippines to get a joint bank account with spouse?

When I filled my petition today the lady told me we should try to supply more evidence like joint bank account.

Thanks

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What is needed for an American here in the Philippines to get a joint bank account with spouse? When I filled my petition today the lady told me we should try to supply more evidence like joint bank account. Thanks

Easy enough to do  just Visit a Bank ID's and Marriage Certificate but personally I would not do it. Should and I say Should, anything happen, a Split or one of you passing away, it is an Unholy mess to get the thing into one or the others name.

Unless it is a Business Venture, in my experience, Banks are not too keen on Joint accounts but as usual YMMV

Excuse me for asking but why do you need more evidence I thought your petition papers were accepted?

OK! so let me ask Direct, Richie, are you Married to your Lady? If so what the heck is happening here? Surely this is Evidence enough, Your marriage Certificate. :thumbsup:

Jack :unsure:

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

What is needed for an American here in the Philippines to get a joint bank account with spouse? When I filled my petition today the lady told me we should try to supply more evidence like joint bank account. Thanks

Easy enough to do just Visit a Bank ID's and Marriage Certificate but personally I would not do it. Should and I say Should, anything happen, a Split or one of you passing away, it is an Unholy mess to get the thing into one or the others name.

Unless it is a Business Venture, in my experience, Banks are not too keen on Joint accounts but as usual YMMV

Excuse me for asking but why do you need more evidence I thought your petition papers were accepted?

OK! so let me ask Direct, Richie, are you Married to your Lady? If so what the heck is happening here? Surely this is Evidence enough, Your marriage Certificate. :thumbsup:

Jack :unsure:

Thanks Jack,

I always appreciate and enjoy your posts.

In regards to a joint bank account, we will not be adding much money. I definitely understand the risks. :)

The petition was accepted but it is was not approved yet.

I supplied marriage certificate, pictures of our wedding, rental lease with our names on it and even affidavits. Yes ofcourse we are married but the US is very suspicious.

She gave me an email address and basically said we can submit any additional documentation through that. She mentioned the joint bank account and she agreed me of I had copies of the ids of the people that made the affidavits. I'm not sure if they will be needed or not.

I just thought if easy enough out wouldn't hurt to get a joint bank account and send in the documents for it.

Thanks Jack!

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I just thought if easy enough out wouldn't hurt to get a joint bank account and send in the documents for it.

It will take you 30/40 Mins to open a Joint account We have one purely for the Household accounts. I use PNB and take your wife  with you and as Long as she has the required ID's, all done there and then. For you Your Passport and of course that ever magical marriage certificate. Good luck My friend :thumbsup:

Jack  :)

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Richie, Jack is spot on,,,,,,,,,,,,,but do not be surprised if a branch does not allow you to open a joint account. Either because you don't have the proper visa, citizenship, wrong color eyes, or what ever else the manager feel like saying that day. Each branch, even if in a big bank sometime operates under their own rules. My story is I had an account with Citibank USA, but could not open a joint account at Citibank Phil.

I ended up going to PNB and no problems there...For what its worth, don't get bent out of shape just move on to a branch that wants your business.............fore warned is fore armed and all that.

• Like 3

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

My good lady and I opened a joint account just last week at BPI. We are not married. It was a very simple process. We each just had to provide two forms of id. In my case my UK passport and my ACR-i card. Hers was passport and Phils national id card.

Ken

• Like 2

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks guys,

What are the bank fees here? Is there online account access, direct deposit, etc?

Edited by Richieboy67

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Mrs F & I have a joint bank account at PNB. Opening it was not overly difficult. Getting the passport-type photos was the hard part. They have minimum balance requirements and fees that are so high as to be unheard-of in the US.

• Like 1

Richieboy67
Posted
Posted

Mrs F & I have a joint bank account at PNB. Opening it was not overly difficult. Getting the passport-type photos was the hard part. They have minimum balance requirements and fees that are so high as to be unheard-of in the US.

What kind of fees and balance are we talking about?

I already have a few accounts and we do not really need one except to help our visa. I hate to add another monthly fee to my list of monthly fees but perhaps we can just keep it for a few months or so until the visa process is over.

Thanks

earthdome
Posted
Posted

What kind of fees and balance are we talking about?

I already have a few accounts and we do not really need one except to help our visa. I hate to add another monthly fee to my list of monthly fees but perhaps we can just keep it for a few months or so until the visa process is over.

Thanks

Hmm. I used BPI. They provide great online banking. As I recall it was $500 to open a USD account and 3000 pesos to open a peso account. Both were savings accounts with ATM cards. No additional fee's and a tiny bit of interest earned each month.

• Like 2