Informal Poll - What Did You Bring (Or Wish You Had) To Pi?

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

We are starting to send balikbayan boxes with our household goods and figuring out what we are going to fly with, as we downsize in preparation for the move.  So...everyone...what did you bring, or wish that you had?  Documents, keepsakes, photos, got all that.  Anything, nothing is too odd, that you found useful.  Kitchen, linens/textiles, tools, gizmos, electronics, paper/office supplies/computer stuff, consumables...anything that would fit in a BB box.  Legal, please.  :lol:

• Things that you just can't get there at any cost.
  • Things that you can get, but the quality is unacceptable (I am willing to compromise, but sometimes...)
  • Things you can import/buy online but the time frames, cost and/or duties are outrageous.
  • Things you kicked yourself for not bringing.
  • Things that you need there, didn't know it then...but now you do.
  • Things that are way cheaper to get where you came from (we are in US).
  • 110/120V things that are worth bringing even though you need an adapter/transformer.
  • Things you got rid of before moving, then had to buy again at much more than it was worth (or what you sold it for before leaving).

Any advice/experience would be helpful, please everyone chime in.  Thanks!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Actually I regret bring too much in my BB boxes.  It is hard to store all the stuff I don't use.  The things I miss are bulkier items like my great Weber propane BBQ.  I will get a similar one here when I have the room for it later, but I will have to pay more.

Every situation is different, but I would get rid of as much as possible and buy new here for things you really need.  You can find quality if you look hard, but you have to pay for it.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

This topic has been done before, but I failed to find it. One thing is: bring tools but not any requiring electricity.

• Like 3

earthdome
Posted
Posted

If you can get good prices on your prescription meds, bring at least 3 months worth.

Off the shelf medicines cost a great deal less in the US than the Philippines. If you have any you routinely use bring an adequate bulk supply.

Things like Loratadine (Claratin), baby aspirin, excedrin, other pain meds like Aleve, acetametaphine, ibuprofin, etc. Buy in bulk and scatter through your Balikbayan boxes.

You might consider refreshing to new electronic devices. Laptops, tablet computers, cell phones, etc. are the least expensive in the US and cost 25% to 50% more in the Philippines.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
One thing is: bring tools but not any requiring electricity.

I agree with bringing your tools.  I would also bring the small electric and cordless tools and buy an inverter when you get here.  Quality tools are expensive here and not so easy to find.  Some other items that are expensive or difficult to find:

Quality kitchen ware (pots and pans, pyrex, etc)

Quality knives

French press for making coffee

Extra clothing if you are considered "big and tall"

Good mouse traps (yes I am serious,  the ones I have found either will not set, or takes a wounded badger to make it trip)

A small voltmeter, and a supply of wire nuts if you think you may need to do any electrical work.

Quality paint brushes (purdy, etc) again, this is you plan on doing "fix it"  type projects

Quality Scissors, nail clippers, tweezers, etc

As I make this list, I realize now that almost everything I list starts with "quality".  Philippine buyers as a whole seem to purchase based on the lowest price.  What is interesting is that after buying the cheapest item, they will then complain about the low quality. :no:  That means you see a whole lot of inexpensive, but poorly made imports from China.  The quality is just not there.  Items that are imported from Europe, USA, etc are much more expensive than what you are used to paying.

• Like 2

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I brought some tools, good quality kitchen products, especially chef knives. I also brought a breadmaker, the rest of the stuff was personal affects.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Things that you just can't get there at any cost

In my opinion JK the above is the key. I have found that with the exception of some foods stuffs (see other topics) a person can buy anything here that we can in our home countries. The Filipino people are very cosmopolitan nowdays and those with money demand the same things that their relatives overseas have, or they have become used to.  

Having said that naturally the further you get from metropolitan areas the scarcer things get, so if your moving to Pagudpud (google map it, I just always chuckle when I pronounce that name) you might want to bring the kitchen sink with you.

My story is: When I retired I was given a generous moving allowance so we shipped a container. We planned (and completed) to build a new house. Well the wife wanted to make sure we had "quality" fixtures and stuff for the new house. We actually bought and shipped a KITCHEN SINK to use in the new house, along with door knobs and all other kind of stuff.

Well once we made the move and really started to get used to our area (even after 20 years of visiting I was still a tourist really) I found all the stuff that we bought in the states.

Prices? Well a mixed bag really, some of the things were more expensive (Kholer sinks) some where cheaper (bathtubs), but over all they probably averaged out as a wash.

One thing that I have never seen is hobby stuff. If you are into lets say model ships and that type of thing I have yet to see them (not saying they are not here some place).

Bottom line is you are not moving to outer Mongolia, if you can get it in the states, chances are you can get it here.

• Like 4

jkeenan213
Posted
Posted

Gentlemen. GREAT STUFF!  Keep it coming.  Most of these I have covered, good knives, most of my hand tools, kitchenware, prescription meds, new laptop and new GSM dual-sim phones.  French press, breadmaker and OTC meds great suggestions, mousetraps are hilarious but will consider.  We'll have dogs but I suppose the critters could sneak through.

What else?

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

• Things that you need there, didn't know it then...but now you do.

A good supply of patience :tiphat:

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

For us Aussies, numerous bottles of Vegemite is a must!

• Like 1