How To Stop Corruption?-Spin Off Of Bullet Topic

william_c
Posted
Posted

As the OP suggests, stand your ground and effect change. I laugh at the idea that there now will be preinspection tables set up, just ahead of the scanners, to ensure that you are clean before your bag is scanned by the "guard" who appears to be the complicit party in this scam.

I will write my Senator tomorrow suggesting that a travel advisory, at the minimum, be issued for all US passengers heading to the Philippines. I hope more is done by both sides of the coin to stop this scam that serves to only isolate this country from other nations and their business partners. However, with many familar last names popping up in the forthcoming elections here I have my doubts this kind of nefarious activity will ever end.

Chiangmai Thailand looking better every day.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

A little bit of an update. Long article in the paper today. (not going to post a link, its all over the news).

The powers that be are starting plans to put a whole s**t pot full of CCTV cameras in the terminals to deter "bullet planting". Naturally this will take a while to go through the bidding process (as if our home Governments actually worked fast if we think about it lol). Now in my view this is merely a deterrent, and if a scammer really wants to get around it, they will figure a way.

What I found more interesting is that the Pasay City prosecutors office is placing a prosecutor (in the states we would call it an assistant district attorney) at the airport who will have the authority to look at the evidence, interview the folks involved and make a dicision on the spot if there was actually criminal intent involve and if further legal action is needed.

The prosecutor says they will do their best to reach a decision so the passenger wont miss their flight. But in my view, if your dumb enough to either try to smuggle ammo or even after all this publicity insist on carrying lucky charm bullets, you deserve to miss your plane lolol.

Anyway, this is good news IMO. Folks really do try to improve things sometimes. But when dealing with governments, even common sense takes awhile

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the updates and a strong reminder that we often times perpetuate the crime, simply by giving in to the open palm. Regarding the airport, one would assume that security and surveillance cameras were already in place.  

Oh, never mind......we're talking about the corruption machine again.  It's like money wasted again for construction of a new bridge that went nowhere.   

• Like 4

gaga4
Posted
Posted

Hope this does not spiral down with me putting my 2 cents....

My take on this is that the bullet scam has been found to be quite a lucrative MO by the perpetrators. It has been found by the NBI to be a large syndicate. How high it goes God only knows. My guess is that it will be hard to make this "scam" go away because too many people are involved and could have sensitive implications - unless it it addressed at high levels. Hence the suggestion to communicate with your country's government representatives.

The problem in the Philippines is there is so much corruption and in every level of government and private sector that its people cannot differentiate the level of severity of the crime anymore. FYI - No other country in the world plants bullets in luggage to extort money or threaten prosecution. And worse of all it being done by security personnel of the airport. And to date, no one has been arrested.

I understand we do not live in a perfect world. I accept that things could go missing in my luggage or someone will ask me for a "gift" when I go thru the airport. But the last thing I need is have ammunition planted in my luggage.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
My take on this is that the bullet scam has been found to be quite a lucrative MO by the perpetrators. It has been found by the NBI to be a large syndicate. How high it goes God only knows.
What I found more interesting is that the Pasay City prosecutors office is placing a prosecutor (in the states we would call it an assistant district attorney) at the airport who will have the authority to look at the evidence, interview the folks involved and make a dicision on the spot if there was actually criminal intent involve and if further legal action is needed.
That will make it EASIER for organiced SCAMERS  :hystery:   because then they can "LEGALY" claim 80 000p in bail to let people go, WITHOUT any OUTSIDE airport athorithy will check the evidience...  
  • Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hope this does not spiral down with me putting my 2 cents....

My take on this is that the bullet scam has been found to be quite a lucrative MO by the perpetrators. It has been found by the NBI to be a large syndicate. How high it goes God only knows. 

This topic started by Scott is about how we could do our share of slowing down the corruption, island wide.  But I think it comes to the point where corruption is already deeply entrenched, that it would take a true miracle.  In other words, it won't happen in my lifetime. But at least I would try to teach my immediate family on the warning signs that are hidden out there on the street level.    

I mentioned the culture of dependency.....meet the culture of impunity.  It goes hand in hand with -- don't you know who I am?

It's the same old chit and ets mo pun in da Pilippines.....

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

What they need here are  tourist police from other countries like they have in Pattaya When there is a problem they can be contacted and usually resolve the situation satisfactorily.

To stop corruption it needs to be done from the top down and as Jake says it aint gonna happen anytime soon.

As Scott says we can help by not paying backhanders when EG a traffic cop stops us.

I have been fortunate in the 4 years I have been living here not to have come across any of this but a few of the people I know can tell their stories some of which beggar belief.

• Like 2