Eating Home Favorites In The Phils.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Not sure if this post will draw any interest but will give it a go anyway.

I was interested to read in another topic this week, JP mentioned having Shepherds Pie and Liver and Onions for dinner, both of which are classic UK meals, What favourites did you miss enough from home to make you simulate it in the Phils and how easy was it bearing in mind the lack of availability of many food types. 

If you have had to substitute various items through lack of availability, what did you use instead and where did you resource it from?

Apart from a general interest in other peoples culinary delights I will of course pinch all the ideas so my kasintahan can put together an English or Western style menu for me, hehe.   

Hope some of you might feel like participating.

:cheersty:

• Like 3

jon1
Posted
Posted

I like proper pastas and have been able to make some decent recipes from ingredients available locally in the duty free stores (different cheeses, cream,  sauces, and fresh veges). I also have been able to get some decent hot link sausages from S&R and some other western goods. The ingredients tend to be more than home, especially the dairy products (mostly from NZ). If you know how to make your recipe's from scratch you can get most spices and ingredients. There are a few merchants that specialize in Western products depending on your area. 

Decent cold cuts and bread are hard to find. It may pay off to look into how to make the bread that you prefer and trying to source the right ingredients.

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Hi Jon1,

Many thanks my friend for your post, I am guessing the abbreviation 'S&R' is a store or supermarket, What does S&R actually stand for? (so us newbies know where to go, Lol). 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Hi Jon1,

Many thanks my friend for your post, I am guessing the abbreviation 'S&R' is a store or supermarket, What does S&R actually stand for? (so us newbies know where to go, Lol). 

SR is a hypermarket in Mandaue by cebu city they have some very good food stuffs there and down the road is SM which also have quite a few westerns foods.I have managed to replicate most of the foods I used to eat but find it hard to make good sage and onion stuffing. Anybody who wants cold cuts and foreign meats should check out Swiss deli online there are a few stores about but they will also deliver in some cases.I bought a new electric oven the other day and it has a fan so I made a sunday roast well the roast potatoes looked 100% but the taste was crap the potatoes must have been crossed with some other vegetable.I can get really good bread from eurobread which is in Liloan. There is also a german shop/bar there which sells western foods at kilometer19 on the north highway.In Dumaguete there is a English shop which sells UK foods.Anyway happy shopping.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Here in Pattaya a decent loaf of bread is the biggest problem, they insist in filling the loaf of bread with sugar - I am not a sugar person.

Sausages are also impossible to find that have a decent taste.  My mate come from Australia a few weeks ago and brought some with him and they were sensational.

Overall getting imported food is easy here but you pay for the privelidge.  Pork and chicken local stuff is very good.  Beef you are better nailing to your shoe.

• Like 4

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)

Here in Pattaya a decent loaf of bread is the biggest problem, they insist in filling the loaf of bread with sugar - I am not a sugar person.

Sausages are also impossible to find that have a decent taste. My mate come from Australia a few weeks ago and brought some with him and they were sensational.

Overall getting imported food is easy here but you pay for the privelidge. Pork and chicken local stuff is very good. Beef you are better nailing to your shoe.

Hi Ron

If you like a good bread can I suggest you try Marathon bread, its available from the likes of Foodmart in Jomtien, or Friendship supermarket next to Tukcom. Good sausages (to my very picky UK tastebuds) are Mallons Irish sausages usually available in the frozen section of Central Festival supermarket in the basement. Or Yorkies UK deli in Jomtien make quite a good sausage too.

Ken

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hardest thing I find here to buy is good quality meat, yes I know you can buy frozen from S&r but it just doesn't seem the same. Lucky for me my girl has taken to western food and now rarely eats filipino food, maybe a little rice now and then. I like to cook so I make pasta's, spag bol, stroganoff, great prawn omelete's, good burgers ( daughters secret recipe). Sheena has also learn't to cook western and whips up some good home cooked chicken and real chips. I have found since being here I have lost weight but feel better, not sure if it's my girl :rolleyes: or the food we eat :dance:

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I just remembered that also in Mandaue near to the twin bridges mall is a place called Belcris for meat sausages cheese etc and in Danao there is a baker called Belrusia German guy and his bread is very good.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Cheese here in Pattaya is very expensive.  Huggybearman, Yorkies has gone off, he died a few years ago and they just can't get it right now.

I will try the Mallons Irish Sausages and give you a report.  Foodmart just over the hill, will give the bread a go  there.

By the way, anyone coming over to  Pattaya should try the breakfast at Irsh Wolfhound in soi 4 Pratunnak HIll, 20mts on left heading down to the beach, 100bht and a great feed, with tea/coffee.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
If you have had to substitute various items through lack of availability, what did you use instead and where did you resource it from?  

There will be different answers as members are located in different parts of the Phils. For example if your in the Makati, Fort area of Manila you will find much more western style food so have you an area in mind that we might be be able to answer a bit better?

• Like 4