Filipina Wants To Visit Canada As Tourist

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know of a filipina who applied to visit Canada as a tourist?

The dream is for my spouse (2 + years living together in Philippines and not legally married) to accompany me to Canada on a 3 week visit next October.

A visa for her to stay in Canada takes a year to process and we do not want to go that route.  But a tourist visa seems possible, judging by the blogs I have read on line.  And a tourist visa takes only a short time to be approved (or rejected  :hystery:  )

She will be able to show that she has her own house in Philippines and a healthy bank balance and a return plane ticket.  She cannot show a source of income (that would be me  :hystery:  ) and I am reluctant to write a "letter of invitation" as I do not meet the income guidelines that the Can/Gov has set on their web site.

So who has done it?  How long did it take to get it? What hurdles were overcome?  Etc Etc

PLEASE  keep this thread to Canadian Tourist Visas as there are so many different types of visa to so many different countries that it could quickly turn into a useless garble of info if it goes off topic.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I am reluctant to write a "letter of invitation" as I do not meet the income guidelines that the Can/Gov has set on their web site.

What it reads to me is that's only for a parent or grandparent visa.

For the parent and grandparent super visa only, you must also provide:

a written and signed promise of your financial support for your parents or grandparents for their entire stay in Canada, and
proof that your income meets or is above the low-income cut-off (LICO) for the total number of people, including the visiting parents or grandparents.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.asp

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Hi Dave,

Have not done a Canadian, but  took my gf to Australia 5 months ago, no problem. She had a job, lett of employment from school,

my support on application but I am a pensioner so no problems there, evidence of our period of time together.

With her proven 'roots' in Phils I doubt you will have any problems at all.  Australia are about as tough as it gets.

o

Lou49
Posted
Posted

I brought my gf to Canada on a visitors visa in 2012. I had to show that we had lived together for a year, had joint bank accounts, etc. and that i was financially secure enough to support her. I downloaded the application form online and filled it out myself. I did not use an agent. It took about two months i think. The biggest most frustrating hurdle was the pinoy "gate keepers/fact checkers" at the Canadian embassy in Manila. Once the application reached Ottawa it was smooth sailing.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I brought my gf to Canada on a visitors visa in 2012. I had to show that we had lived together for a year, had joint bank accounts, etc. and that i was financially secure enough to support her. I downloaded the application form online and filled it out myself. I did not use an agent. It took about two months i think. The biggest most frustrating hurdle was the pinoy "gate keepers/fact checkers" at the Canadian embassy in Manila. Once the application reached Ottawa it was smooth sailing.

Thanks for the encouraging post.  We shall endeavor to make it happen.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

You are going to wait until spring right Dave :unsure:  :cheersty:

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)

It should be no problem for you, Dave, from what you posted. My common-law-spouse has came to Canada 3 times with me in the last 3 years. We do 6 in and 6 out. The TRV or Tourist Visa takes about 10 days from when you send it by courier until you get it back with the stamp.

The first time, in 2011, she was denied as we had just met and she had no assets but in 2012 she got a 6 month TRV. Then in 2013, she got a 5 year multiple entry TRV good for 6 months each entry. Wait until you hear the cost!!! It was 3050p for what could be a total of 30 months. For me to stay in PI, the cost for 30 months is about 72,000p.

In your application, you should include a "letter of invitation" stating your length of relationship, and stating that you will be responsible for all costs like flight tickets, health insurance, food, and lodging in Canada. State that you wish to show her Niagara Falls, Ottawa Parliament, and Toronto.

Include a copy of your house title with pictures. Get a copy of your joint bank account. Get a letter of reference from someone else. Include a copy of your income statement and your other bank/investment accounts.

For us, the most difficult part of the application was the Family Form as she has 9 siblings. Once filled out online, print all of it, then call the Embassy in Manila at the number provided. Have your forms handy in order and a pen in hand. They will give you a number and address to sent it to by courier. Don't apply too early as it will be good for 6 months from the date of approval the first time if it is just good for 1 year.

At Toronto, go together to an agent as there may be questions. Don't go to a female agent. Good luck.

Edited by jpbago
  • Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
My common-law-spouse has came to Canada 3 times with me in the last 3 years. We do 6 in and 6 out.

That is very encouraging and she is getting a bit excited that this may actually happen.  Thanks for the info.

You are going to wait until spring right Dave :unsure:  :cheersty:

Actually, we are going in the fall for a few reasons.  We will go to Vancouver Island in an area where they seldom even get frost on the ground so October weather will still be nice, but I want to do this when my 3 year tourist visa runs out and that happens next October.  In addition, my passport expires 6 months after that so its time to go get annudder one  :tiphat:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/6/2015 at 3:41 PM, jpbago said:

The TRV or Tourist Visa takes about 10 days from when you send it by courier until you get it back with the stamp.

I could sure use a little help on this.

We've got all the ducks in a row.  'She' is applying online for a temporary visitor's visa and we are at the stage of uploading all the required info.

The first problem I am finding is the uploading of files.  For each 'upload' you can only upload one file, but sometimes more than one thing is asked for.  Example:  I need to upload 6 pdf files of a bank account, 1 photocopy of a statement and 1 covering letter.  I thought I could just upload the whole file but the site only lets me upload a file, not a file folder.

They are quite specific that they allow only one upload per requested item and they suggest that, if 2 pics are needed for example, I could combine them into one pic.  What a pain.

Did you run into this?

EDIT:  I think I found the answer to this.  Its a pain in the ass but if anyone else is doing this, go to this site for info on this topic

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/trv-online-application-documents-upload-t156075.0.html

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Final result of all this was Visa Denied.  I just post it here for posterity, The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men; Gang aft agley,

Denial.jpg

• Like 1